News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 upgrade

Started by Loathed, October 01, 2015, 10:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loathed

Good morning gang:

New to the site and I'm glad j found it .. Tina if great information and knowledgable people.

I have a 73 Charger SE with original 318.

Since I wanted to keep original engine I figured I'd add some upgrades.

Changed camshaft from 425 to 470, added Edelbrock aluminum intake and 4bbl carb 600 cfm.
Car already has dual exhaust.

Question is do u think I'll see noticeable change in performance? Or do I have to delve deeper into my pocket for heads and headers lol

Also what would be the guesstimate horsepower be once I get her all back together?

Thanks

Keith

flyinlow

You need to tune the ignition timing also to help wake that motor up. 73's are low compression  (about 8:1)  and it probably has a 2.76 axle so don't expect large jumps in power. I would guess a 4bbl,intake and dual exhaust with proper tuning  might pick up 40+ HP. Not sure on the cam you did not give enough info. I helped a friend do this on a 69 318 Charger decades ago. It was noticeable change . Not fast ,but more fun to drive.   :Twocents: