News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

moog ball joints not warrantied for lifetime?

Started by moparnut, September 06, 2015, 05:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnut

Had to change 2 ball joints in my superduty .The were moog installed since Ive owned the truck.  Advance says limited lifetime against defects only. Was always told to pay more and get moog.Guess the 3 times the price is not worth paying after all. advance auto states that if its a commercial vehicle the warranty regardless is 90 days.  just passing along maybe save some people some money.  moparnut

Mopar Nut

Never had a problem when I bought Moog through Checker Auto Parts in 1992 and replaced at O'reilly's 2015.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

moparnut

Have the receipt and box advance says limited lifetime warranty.Will be calling moog and federal mogul on tuesday morning. the moog price for new was around 80.00 for the lower front the driveworks was 30.00  dollars.Can not see any reason to spend the money without the lifetime warranty.  moparnut

c00nhunterjoe

Moog is no longer lifetime. You get 1 replacement under warrenty now, read their fine print.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 07, 2015, 03:29:40 PM
Moog is no longer lifetime. You get 1 replacement under warrenty now, read their fine print.
I called O'reilly's near me and they confirmed the free replacement for as long as I own my car.

"Detailed Warranty Information

(Revised 10-2-12)

O'Reilly Auto Parts

Moog Limited Lifetime Warranty

What Does This Warranty Cover?

Customer satisfaction is our top priority. This warranty covers any product that is purchased from us ("Product") which fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship as long as the product is used normally and serviced and installed properly on your vehicle. This warranty is subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions provided below. This warranty is valid only if you are the original purchaser of the Product and may not be transferred.

How Long Does The Coverage Last?

This warranty begins when you purchase a Product and provides a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" for a product, the warranty period will be as long as you, the original purchaser of the product, own the vehicle for which the product was originally purchased and installed. To determine how long your warranty lasts and because warranty periods may vary from Product to Product, please refer to your sales receipt or the Product on our website at www.oreillyauto.com. Coverage terminates, including any and all implied warranties such as the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, at the end of the applicable warranty period or earlier if you sell or otherwise transfer ownership of your vehicle using the Product. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you. If a Product is replaced under this warranty ("Defective Product"), a replacement Product will be covered until you sell or otherwise transfer ownership of your vehicle that had the Defective Product, if you install or use the replacement Product on another vehicle, or if you use the part in a manner other than in the way the manufacturer had intended.

Commercial Vehicles - Any Product which is used or installed on a commercial vehicle shall have a warranty period of ninety (90) days after the date of its purchase only.

What Will O'Reilly Auto Parts Do?

At our option, we will either replace any defective or malfunctioning Product at no charge or provide a refund instead of replacing such Product. If Product is replaced under this warranty, we will warranty the replacement product as well, subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in this warranty.

What Does This Warranty Not Cover?

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT EXTEND TO PRODUCT THAT FAILS DUE TO (i) ACCIDENT OR COLLISION; (ii) IMPROPER USE, INSTALLATION, MAINTENANCE OR SERVICE; (iii) COMBINATION OF THE PRODUCT WITH OTHER THIRD-PARTY PRODUCT(S) WHICH FAIL; (iv) ABUSE, MISUSE, MODIFICATION, OR NEGLECT; (v) FAILURE TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS; (vi) AN ACT OF GOD (SUCH AS A FLOOD, CHEMICAL FALLOUT, SALT, HAIL OR OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS INCLUDING NATURAL DISASTERS(vii) INSTALLATION OR USE ON VEHICLES USED FOR POWERSPORTS, OFF-ROAD, OR RACING PURPOSES WHERE SUCH PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED FOR POWERSPORTS, OFF-ROAD, OR RACING PURPOSES; OR (viii) INSTALLATION OR USE ON VEHICLES USED FOR MARINE PURPOSES WHERE SUCH PRODUCT IS NOT INTENDED FOR MARINE USE.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER LABOR, TOWING, OR RENTAL CAR CHARGES, WHICH ARE YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY.

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY REPRESENTS THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF O'REILLY FOR ANY PRODUCT. O'REILLY MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR THE DISCLAIMER OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

How Do You Get Service?

In order to be eligible for service under this warranty you MUST return the Product along with the original sales receipt to any O'Reilly Auto Parts store, and at our option, we will either replace the Product or provide a refund. If purchased on-line you may go to www.oreillyauto.com; click the "My Account" link, and follow the on-line instructions for warranty returns.

How Does State Law Apply?

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state."
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

bill440rt

Key word is "limited".

Does a worn out part due to normal wear & tear constitute the same as a "defect in materials or workmanship"?  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

c00nhunterjoe

I know i have run into it several times at advance auto, specifically on moog idler arms on the charger. Only get 1 free "lifetime" replacement now. Ive put several on the car since ive owned it and never had a problem in the past. This past spring the rules apparently changed. If oreilly is standing behind it then i applaud them. Several other brands are the same way with starters and alternators.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: moparnut on September 06, 2015, 05:46:37 PM
Advance says limited lifetime against defects only.
If you are not getting mileage out of these, they would be considered defects. How many miles are you getting?

Quote from: bill440rt on September 07, 2015, 06:56:22 PM
Key word is "limited".

Does a worn out part due to normal wear & tear constitute the same as a "defect in materials or workmanship"?  :shruggy:

I agree on normal wear & tear after 50,000 miles, to me that would mean the lifetime is over. But if something fails way sooner at 1,000 miles than I would consider that a defect. Would everyone agree?  

dual fours

moparnut, does Advance Auto and MOOG considered your SUPER DUTY, commercial ? Then only 90 Day warranty.
F250 and up is considered Super Duty. F150 is not.

Mopar Nut, you say "car". So you have a better warranty then Commercial Vehicle owners.

Reading above "what will O'Reilly Auto Parts do", they say nothing about Commercial Vehicles. Looks like O'Reilly will warrant those parts more then 90 days.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

c00nhunterjoe

To me, lifetime means lifetime. If you are only going to warrent it for 50k, then put 50k on the warrenty.

stripedelete

Maybe Moog had to adjust for the fact people are keeping thier vehicles for 250k miles?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 07, 2015, 10:48:03 PM
To me, lifetime means lifetime. If you are only going to warrent it for 50k, then put 50k on the warrenty.
Good point, it does state "as long as you own your car".

moparnut

The advance counter salesman never even looked up my warranty info or looked at the old parts. Just looked at receipt and said limited lifetime.The superduty was not mentioned either as being commercial or not.  these parts were purchased 5 years ago when the warranty still was lifetime ,sounds like they have made some changes recently.  moparnut :popcrn: :popcrn:

Indygenerallee

I will say Moog parts are not the same quality that they were 10 years ago, Company has been sold and quality went down the tubes.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

LaOtto70Charger

Sounds like why I stopped buying stuff at NAPA.  Bought a set of Spicer U-joints that failed within a year.  Guy at the NAPA I bought them from looked down at it and said installation error so no warranty.  He also was not impressed I didn't have the end caps.  One was lost on the highway somewhere and the other I forgot.  He did though offer to sell me some more.  So I walked down to Autozone and bought to from Mexico for the same price as one.

Really sad part is at the time I was working at a plant across the street from them that used to a be a DANA plant with a couple hundred people that had been DANA employees the year before.

moparnut

We worked it out to in store credit.Advance deletes its computers after 2 years. :brickwall: :Purchased my stuff long before they deleted.the parts were stamped moog and it was before any changes in the warranty. Not sure about any future warranty, check to make sure before you dish out the big bugs for lifetime. :brickwall: Spent the  entire return credit before leaving.     moparnut

johntpr

I recommend XRF ball joints on super duties.  Thats what I installed in my Excursion after much research.

dual fours

Quote from: moparnut on September 08, 2015, 05:18:27 PM
We worked it out to in store credit.Advance deletes its computers after 2 years. :brickwall: :Purchased my stuff long before they deleted.the parts were stamped moog and it was before any changes in the warranty. Not sure about any future warranty, check to make sure before you dish out the big bugs for lifetime. :brickwall: Spent the  entire return credit before leaving.     moparnut
And make a COPY OF YOUR RECEIPT, the original's print may/will disappear, and if you don't show up in the computer your  :fu:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem