News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Selling a car online.

Started by ws23rt, September 02, 2015, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ws23rt

Since I recently got a hellcat I'm in need of garage space. I posted an ad. for my 09 srt on two sites and the first call was almost instant. It was a text for me to respond to an email. I did so and this buyer was intent on getting me to play the car selling/buying game with paypal. :eek2
I had some fun with him for awhile and a half doz. emails but the response is his honesty and a god bless or two added just in case. :lol:

Has anyone else found it a mine field out there to deal on line?  It seems that at every turn on the internet someone with poor speaking or typing skills is looking to make my life the life of Riley :icon_smile_wink:

OOps----I just got the sixth email from this guy that said all he want's is my paypal account connection.  He ignored the emails I gave him that are much like I tend to send when provoked to speak clearly :slap: :lol:

I haven't heard from this sort with my C500 ad.  It was another that wanted to sell it for me overseas at a cost of $800.  They told me they would get 20K over my asking price.  I said buy it for my price and keep the 20k for themselves.  We don't sell cars they said. :scratchchin:

This is I suppose a rant as well as a question about other experiences of the like.

d_saum

I run into that stuff all the time on Craigslist.. Very aggravating.  :flame:  Sometimes I'm tempted to REALLY mess with them (ie: submit their phone number or email to a bunch of sites for sales and whatnot, etc..). The most annoying one though was the last time I listed my Nova for sale, I got a phone call every friggin morning from some service wanting to sell my car for me for a "small" fee....   :RantExplode:

RallyeMike

Even though on-line advertising has a lot going for it, I miss the days when you ran an ad in the paper and then people actually talked to you on the phone before setting a time to come and look it over in person. The last truck I sold, a guy texted me for two weeks with questions. At the end I enjoyed responding that I sold it to someone who actually called once, and then came and looked at it.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ws23rt

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 02, 2015, 10:27:21 PM
Even though on-line advertising has a lot going for it, I miss the days when you ran an ad in the paper and then people actually talked to you on the phone before setting a time to come and look it over in person. The last truck I sold, a guy texted me for two weeks with questions. At the end I enjoyed responding that I sold it to someone who actually called once, and then came and looked at it.

I too miss those days.  I bought and sold many things that way.  Today the best way to reach those local is through craigslist but I have yet to use it because of the reputation it has for drawing the unwanted. The advice I here all the time is to meet in a public place away from your home. :slap:   If I was selling drugs I might just do that. :lol:

d_saum

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 02, 2015, 10:27:21 PM
The last truck I sold, a guy texted me for two weeks with questions. At the end I enjoyed responding that I sold it to someone who actually called once, and then came and looked at it.

Haha.. did he reply back?

1974dodgecharger

Its a game u have to play if u want to sell these days.    :icon_smile_big:

People dont believe me when I say I cant sell my car for 5k because of big rims.  Maybe because im playing with them since they lowballed me.....

FJ6N96

WS23RT,

Why not post your 09 Challenger SRT up here?  One of us might be interested, like me!

FJ6N96

Ghoste

Yeah those free sites like Cl and Kijiji are just online yard sales.

68 RT

I would put it on eBay, I have sold 3 truck/cars 66 Grand Prix, 2000 Silverado, and an 87 k5 blazer for parts. If its priced right in the market, your car will be gone in a couple of weeks. Had no problems except people wanting to trade when ad stated no trades. Just my  :Twocents:

6spd68

The Craigslist / Kijiji crowd can be special...  I've just learned to recognize, and ignore the scammers (People looking to sell my car/People wanting to buy that work on an oil rig in the south pacific).  I even put in my adds "If you are 8+ hours away, please be serious about coming to see the car before contacting me."  It helps weed out the window shoppers.  You'll still get e-mail/text penpals, but that's the crux of selling a car these days ...  All the best with your sale!  Hopefully she moves fast for ya  :cheers:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

ws23rt

I appreciate your comments and the input from those that have done this a lot.  :cheers:

My first thought and resistance about doing this was the hassle and time involved.  I got a price from a couple of dealers to take it off my hands but decided to spend the time myself for the difference in value.

Another thing I did was change my first thought about it being a hassle to one of it being another learning adventure.  The added sport of playing with jackasses and scammers does add some entertainment value as well. :D :cheers:

ws23rt

Quote from: FJ6N96 on September 03, 2015, 06:04:27 AM
WS23RT,

Why not post your 09 Challenger SRT up here?  One of us might be interested, like me!

FJ6N96

I just did. :2thumbs:

draftingmonkey

I have sold a bunch of audio gear on CL. What I do is set up a new email account via my provider (Cox in my case). I post the ad and only reply to emails as I don't give my home phone and have no cell phone for texting. After a week or if I get to many crap replies I delete the ad and the new email account, then go back and repost a new ad and link it to a newly created email address. I'm allowed 8-10 email addresses (forget which) so it works well when the sale is done all contact to me disappears. If for some reason I want the buyer to have my phone I will give it to them after the sale. I also only accept local sales as the BS of shipping anywhere is just that. Don't do ebay as it became a big hassle when dealing with selling/shipping/damage scams with the sales of audio gear.

ws23rt

I just had another interested buyer for my challenger. The same sort of deal as several others. He want's to buy it as a surprise for his father and is off shore right now so a transaction is limited to his terms. :eek2:

So his deal is that I give him my "paypal" information and he will send the full amount. I will then just turn the car over to his "collecting agent" and all will be good.

I said I was ready to make a transaction but not with paypal. His response was to thank me for being an honest person and understands the problems with scammers. He added that he just upgraded his paypal status and can pay in full. All I need to do was give him my paypal information. :lol:

I replied --that I would complete this transaction (but not with paypal being involved) if he gave me his bank routing and account numbers as well as his full name and SS number. I would then send $500 to his account and wait for him to verify that the funds clear as a way to express my honesty. When He is satisfied that the money is in his hands he would then need to send me $600 to show his honesty. I of course being an honest sort would apply the $100 toward the purchase of the car. :icon_smile_wink:

It is easy to ignore the scammers and normally I would do so. But sometimes I just have to respond to them. :D

polywideblock

do you have a PayPal acc. ? if so send him an invoice for full amount  , he'll never see any of your details and if he's serious you'll sell your car   :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ws23rt

Quote from: polywideblock on September 05, 2015, 06:56:02 PM
do you have a PayPal acc. ? if so send him an invoice for full amount  , he'll never see any of your details and if he's serious you'll sell your car   :Twocents:

It didn't take long with a google search to find this scam going back several years at least. Their are hundreds of posts that spell out this exact scam.  If anyone is legit in their need to buy a car this way it is sad that they are victims as well --because of the trail the scammers have left.
The deal here is the "collecting agent"/ transport company needs to be paid (made up stuff). That money will come from an overpayment that is made to the sellers account. It is that out going money from the sellers account that is the target. The incoming money is not real because it comes from a non paypal source made to look real. The out going money from paypal will indeed go away if it is sent.