News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looks like I'm running smaller torsion bars

Started by Dino, August 27, 2015, 04:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I just cleaned them up and found numbers 778 and 779 which come back as .90 bars for 318's (which mine used to have), and 383's.  The car has had a 440 in it for a few decades now.

I have a 1 1/8" solid sway bar and the front always felt just right to me.  Any reason I would have to upgrade to bigger bars?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kern Dog

It really depends on what your goals are. If you are happy with the setup, no need to change. I had 1.0 bars since 2002 but recently went with 1.15s along with reducing the rear sway bar size to eliminate an oversteer condition. Now my car feels great. It rides about as firm as our 2015 Challenger R/T with the Super Track Pack.

Brass

If they're out - now would be a good time to upgrade.  I think you will be glad you did.  I had the stock .90 bars and really hated them.  Switching to 1" bars was a very good, noticeable upgrade.  No more bottoming out or having the front end pitch toward the ground during a hard stop.  Much happier now.

1974dodgecharger

Mike DC

Actually modern cars tend to be light on the corner springs, all things considered.  They are heavy on the shocks & swaybars.  Our old Mopars feel more "modern" with stiffer front springs because the 50yo factory front springs were REALLY light.  

It also feels more modern if you lighten up the rear leaf springs (but not the shocks, and maybe add a small rear swaybar).  The 318/383 4-leaf packs aren't too bad but the R/T "6 leaf" staggered packs are really stiff by modern standards.  

However we are using the stiff rear leafs to control wheelhop and hold off the solid axle's unspring weight, unlike a modern car.  So you don't wanna lighten up the leafs too much.   Some stiffness is the nature of the beast. 

WHITE AND RED 69

I'd swap them out. The car may feel good now but it will feel better with the proper bars in there.

I've actually got a set of big block bars (.92 coded 780 & 781 I think?) lying around. If you want them they are yours. They just need to be cleaned up and repainted.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Thanks buddy that's very kind of you!   :cheers:

I'm not sure what to do yet.  I just put some paint stripper on mine and ran them across the wire wheel brush and they look great.  I know there's an actual difference in feel between .90 and .92, I'm just unsure how much.  Seeing as every single bushing was shot, the new parts wil make for a noticable improvement I'm sure.  New torsion bars are not in the budget but they can be swapped at any time so no problem there.  I don't want it too hard though, this is Michigan, the pothole state...

I'd probably give those .92's a shot but shipping may be more than I can handle right now.  Our vet bills are astronomical.  I could've bought that SE with power windows by now!   :eek2:

I didn't plan on doing any suspension work so this is just another addition to the fund drainage.   :lol:

I cleaned up the lower ball joints but the ball joint itself i firmer on one side compared to the other so there's another $80 or so to get those.  The $30 some I just spent on dust boots was a waste as none have the metal retainers on them so what's keeping the grease inside?  Optimism?

I know these are all small amounts and I really need to get the best parts, but adding everything up...well you kow how it goes.

I had hoped to have the car back on the road by May so I can drive it while attending grad school, but that's probably not going to happen.  The engine will need additional work as well and I haven't even started on the trans yet..

Ah well, rant over, I'm going back out there and finish cleaning up the lca's.

WHITE AND RED 69

Don't worry about the shipping, if you want them let me know and I'll send them on over.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on August 29, 2015, 10:27:36 PM
Don't worry about the shipping, if you want them let me know and I'll send them on over.  :2thumbs:

Thank you Thank you Thank you!   :notworthy: