News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

security

Started by tiki, August 27, 2015, 06:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiki

Looking at this 67 charger that was stolen makes everyone think? Whats the best security you can put on your car?(pride and joy)  GPS recovery (hidden) Mercury switch texting you if the car move,what is everyone using?

skip68

Garage and surveillance cameras.  2 inside the garage and 12 outside. 
Along with hidden ignition switch. 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

303 Mopar

The bottom line is if someone wants your car bad enough, they will find a way to get it.  If they are pros they will have dolly's to put under your wheels to roll your car out to a flat bed waiting, know where the typical security devices are and how to deactivate them, and have your car sold on a ship or stripped in a few days.  That said, you can add things like GPS, alarm, steering wheel bar lock, and a kill switch to deter them so you are not an "easy" target they move on to the next car.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Homerr

Lojack + plenty of insurance.

myk

I've heard stories of cars being plucked out from inside of their garages.  If theft can go that deep then there's no sure-fire way to stop it.  Combining passive anti theft devices along with LoJack AND GPS are good steps to take.  Lastly, make sure the car is insured for the MAXIMUM amount of money.

What GPS systems are people using?

cbrestorations

i have a buddy that when he leaves town he chains the car to a metal pole that was cemented into the garage floor. im talkin like almost 3/4" metal on the link. they would have to diegrinder cut thru this sucker if they really waanted the car. the easiest way cars get stolen is a crooked tow truck operation, no one would be the wiser in broad daylight.

skip68

A long time ago I thought about anchoring the car down.   The agreed value of the car through Hagerty was enough for me in the end so I didn't want to bother with the hassle.   Like others have said, if someone wants it bad enough they'll find a way to get it.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

myk

I use something like that for my expensive road bicycles.  It's called the New York Fuhgeddaboudit by Kryptonite locks...

charger_fan_4ever

A large unfriendly dog stationed in roaming distance.

1974dodgecharger

Big rims....when are people gonna realize this? These cars stolen all have one thing in comen they are stock cars looking wise. 

Start adding your own tastes to a car and it becomes less desirable.

Ghoste

Unfortunately my taste finds big rims to be big ugly.  I like the stock look and if I have to alter it to keep thieves away, I don't want it so much then anyway.

wingcar

I agree.....Plus, it would be just my luck to have a thief that has the same tastes (good or bad  :-\) that I have!  And, no matter what you do to the car, there will always be something a thief will feel he can sell......Not to mention the "Joy Riders" that will steal a car just for the kicks of driving it around for a while... 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

Actually I would think trendy wheels would be a drawing card for thieves?

cbrestorations

a $10 alarm system works good to detour thieves. a bypass switch accessible from outside the car tied into the horns with the dome light switch power used to run it. if the switch is activated and someone opens the door the horns will be a blairin.  gps on a seperate lawnmower battery hid somehwere but still tied into the cars battery power to maintain charge is probably one of the better ways to hope of getting ur car back

myk

I'd recommend GPS and LoJack.  It's expensive and could run you $30 a month for GPS, but it's worth it...

WHITE AND RED 69

Here is a new GPS unit over on the pro touring site.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/116434-Impressive-new-product

Lojack now offers an upgrade that lets you track your car on your phone. You can program it so if it leaves your garage your phone will notify you.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Plum Crazy 68

Scoped Springfield .308 M1A1

6pkrtse

I have a hidden kill switch on my 70 Charger. Another trick I learned is after I put it in park if I pull down on the shifter alittle not to pull it out of park but just enough. It won't allow it to start because of neutral safety switch. It thinks it is not in park but it doesn't release and put it in reverse so it won't roll away either.I also disconnect  the battery when at work or anything for long periods of time and throw little padlocks in the hood pins so the hood can't be opened to re-connect battery.

At home with my 70 Charger also shares the garage with my 70 Challenger so I have alarm system on house. Block the rear man door with a 4x4 between door and fridge and put padlocks in my bay door tracks to keep big door from opening. I also have the opener plugged in the ceiling on its own switch so power to it is off once I walk out so the pros with their door opener scanners can't scan the code and open it from the outside. All takes me seconds to do but is going to make a thief at least work for it.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

cbrestorations

those gps trackers only have a 4hr back up battery, if you hide sepperate small 12v battery for the gps alone you could track it for days if not longer. say ur at work and the car gets stolen and you dont have access to ur phone during that time, they have already stole it and disconnected the battery. by the time you get to ur phone and it notifies you of the alert, the gps may already be dead. just a scenario...

c00nhunterjoe

I put a confederate flag on my roof.... nobody wants a racist car... :smilielol:

RallyeMike

Got it. Now I just need your addresses, please   :scope:   :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on August 28, 2015, 10:22:56 AM
Actually I would think trendy wheels would be a drawing card for thieves?

There not.  My car has been left out in many bad neighborhoods out in the open hell even when I hit Vegas.  No one steals my car.....not even touch it.  I leave my windows down also since it gets so hot here in southwest.

It's the stock cars that get stolen....they know that aftermarket crap decreases a stolen resell value.

Kern Dog

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 28, 2015, 01:58:54 AM
Big rims....when are people gonna realize this? These cars stolen all have one thing in comen they are stock cars looking wise. 

Start adding your own tastes to a car and it becomes less desirable.

Funny.... :2thumbs:

tiki

Thanks white and red 69,a lot of valuable information,most people building a dream car has it insured while building it,I like some of the security details posted,mostly insurance,gps and siren and hood pins to secure your engine compartment

Mike DC

Quotea $10 alarm system works good to detour thieves. a bypass switch accessible from outside the car tied into the horns with the dome light switch power used to run it. if the switch is activated and someone opens the door the horns will be a blairin.  gps on a seperate lawnmower battery hid somehwere but still tied into the cars battery power to maintain charge is probably one of the better ways to hope of getting ur car back

The alarm can wail but it doesn't mean any bystanders will react to it or even turn their heads.  If you don't hear it yourself, and get out there fast enough to stop the thief yourself, then there's little chance of an alarm doing any good.  If you get there 10 minutes later the bystanders probably won't even remember what the guy looked like.