News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ball Joint Separator

Started by gcdsn76, August 12, 2015, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcdsn76

After banging on the upper ball joint with a pickle fork and a sledge hammer, it is still not separated. Any recommendations on other tools to use?

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

krnai555

User: Troy,

Do these types of sets also work on screw in ball joints? I've run into the issue where I have unscrewed my uppers and lowers but after unscrewing them 5 threads out, they do not come out any further. Do you have any experience/advice on how to get these out?

Troy

I guess the answer is "maybe"? That last set from Mancini has the socket but I'm not sure what you do after you unscrew it and it's still attached. I supposed one of the other types would put enough pressure on it to pop it out - assuming you've cleared all the threads. Otherwise you'll tear out the threads from the arm and you're screwed. The original ball joints are "self tapping" (meaning they cut their own threads) and could be installed crooked or have chewed up the first couple of threads.

Troy

gcdsn76

The ball joints are winning. I am now at at total loss. I wound up breaking the tool I got from Harbor Freight for ball joint extraction. I know have the control arm/spindle/backing plate off the car because one of the bolts holding the backing plate to the spindle is apparently welded in. Try again tomorrow with heat, but I only have a propane torch. I'm starting to price control arms and spindles on Ebay....

Troy

Where do you live? I have most of the front end off a 69 Coronet that I'll never use. Haven't tried to disassemble it though.

Troy

gcdsn76