News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No Heat

Started by 469 runner, July 28, 2015, 02:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

469 runner

I have a 1968 Charger.  A/C car.  Just finishing restoration.  Everything has been rebuilt/replaced.  Jim Tucker in California rebuilt the Ranco water valve. When testing out the system all doors, fan, etc. work as designed.  However, I can not get any heat.  The pipes going to the heater core are cold.  The engine is up to temperature.  So it would seem no water is flowing.  I removed heater hoses and there are no obstructions.  Heat control lever is full right, MAX on. I'm lost.  Air lock in system is all I can come up with as a possibility.  But don't know how to deal with that.

oldcarnut

Check to see if the water hoses connected to the right inlet/outlets on the water pump to heater.

469 runner

Thanks, yes.  From engine to valve top fitting, U-shaped hose from bottom fitting on valve to heater tube, other tube back to front fitting on water pump housing.  Does the capillary tube sense the temperature and keep valve from opening in this 90 degree heat?

cdr

it is posible the capillary adjustment is off.here is the hose routing  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109432.0.html
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cdr

connect the hoses together & see if they get hot.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

469 runner

OK, I removed the hoses from the firewall, started engine and have no flow.  The hoses are clear of obstructions, so I have an airlock in the system somewhere.  I haven't driven the car yet, just idled in driveway and down the road a little under 20 mph.  I will drive it some and hope with some speed and heating/cooling cycles this will work the air out.

cdr

i always drill an 1/8 hole in the tstat .

oldcarnut

Quote from: cdr on July 29, 2015, 09:10:30 AM
i always drill an 1/8 hole in the tstat .
. I was going to mention using those t-stats with bypass built in but also try jacking the front end up at a good safe angle and run it for a few mins and see if you can burp the trapped air out

oldcarnut

469 runner

Removed both hoses from valve and blew air both ways. It is functioning normally.  I'll drive this some and give an update soon. 

Hard Charger

is the car overheating at all?

469 runner

No overheating.  Drained some of the coolant today.  Started engine. Opened heater valve all the way, then slowly started adding coolant.   It must have done the trick as shortly thereafter I started getting heat in the passenger compartment.  So I finished topping the radiator off.  It must have been seriously airlocked before. Strange that water wouldn't be pumped enough to "burp" the system of air.  Thanks for everyones help.