News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 slipping in and out of 3rd gear

Started by dodgey68, June 14, 2015, 01:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgey68

ok i have  not had a good run with autos, I had a 904/318, set up, I had issues with that box,
now I have a 440/727 combo,, and I have had the auto/car  back a few times, I have a lokar cable kick down and it dosnt seem the have the same throw as the factory set up, so I have made a add on bracket to make it pull the kick down full at full throttle,,   but when it changes into 3rd gear it will drop  third back to second and if I rev it will slide back into 3rd, all the time, like it wont hold third unless I'm really going for it,  
the governor has stuck on me a few times also,, any ideas, I really don't wanna pull the stupid thing out again,,

a manual valve body I reckon is the answer,
it has the  good bits in the box?

I have been reading a lot of posts on here, but nothing like this
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

John_Kunkel

Did it do this before the Lokar installation? Your observation about the Lokar's incorrect throw is spot on, that's why I dislike them.

If the throw of the carb closely matches the throw of the trans lever now and the Lokar isn't the problem, your symptoms (dropping from 3rd to 2nd at steady throttle ) suggest worn governor rings.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dodgey68

it did it before the lokar cable was adjusted properly, i did a few measurements  and made some adjustments to the carbie side of things to make it the same throw,
i reckon its the govener as well, as it sticks  and it sticks in 1st gear

dodgey68

if I fit a  manual valve body
, I read some were that fitting a manual valve body  will eliminate the use for the  governor and the need for the kick down?? is this correct?

I am quite happy to fit a manual valve body I have always owned manuals it dosn't worry me at all,,
if it will fix the issue or do i need to have the auto taken out and fixed again

John_Kunkel

The MVB will cure your governor and KD ills but you may tire of the extra-firm shifts after driving on the street for a while.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dodgey68

righto i made a decission
thank you to john_kunkel for the info,  and I have done a fair bit of homework/ reading on this site
I gone with  a rmvb with LBA
ill let you know how it goes

dodgey68

ok I had to remove the auto
it had a few issues, going by what im told, and seen,, it had to many shims fitted, its rub/warn the back of the housing and one or more shims have
disintegrated and gone through the box. stuck in the governor,  stuck in the clutch packs and made them not connect/close  properly and heat up unevenly, got into all the bits and pieces, really burnt oil , etc ,  thanks to a good friend of mone he has taken it apart, replaced the housing and most of the internals,, its back in now, and as far as I can tell it working ok,, still left the rmvb in,, im happy with that,,

dodgey68

ok 3rd  time around, again after the 2nd time as mentioned above,,
I removed the auto again, disassembled it, and found that one of the front rings on the shaft was stuck into the ring grove, wasn't sealing as a ring should, a good mate  cleaned and refitted a seal kit to make sure , I fitted auto back in today,
im getting quicker at pulling this thing in and out,,