News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Coil, oil and toil

Started by billschroeder5842, May 25, 2015, 02:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I just collecting thoughts on if to upgrade my coil and if it will make a difference.

I have a bone stock, 1975 400 with a Demon carb, dual exhaust and not much else. The engine had 122k on it, runs like a champ and holds a super steady idle of 19ish. Timing is get about 12-14 and is very dependable.

My plugs get a oil fouled and I clean them every 4k or so. I don't mind terribly cleaning them- wire wheel, regap, all done in 45 minutes. My guess is that a 40 year old, new rebuild engine has rings, wear and valve guide issues.

Would I get a longer life if I got a "hotter plug" or a more powerful coil? Would a more powerful coil give me anything to worry about with the electrical or wiring? The wires are all original....

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

A383Wing

you might try putting in platinum plugs..they will last longer in the oil fouling senario....hotter coil only has effect on the spark plug end, not the OE wiring in the car....with hotter coil, you can make the plug gap wider for smoother running and higher RPM's

billschroeder5842

Thanks!

I'm debating a rebuild or just getting a 440.

The 440 is winning at the moment.
Texas Proud!

Ghoste

500Jon

Toiling is Bad, but the end result can be rewarding!
The 400ci is a good motor indeed.
The earlier ones have the strongest main-bearing webs of all Mopar Bigblocks.
71-72 castings are the best followed by 73 and some early 74's.
Bigger bore than a 440 and shorter stroke.
She wiil run like a scalded cat (not quite Hellcat)...if built right...
Go for a rebore with higher compression pistons.
'Six Pack' Lunatti 490ish cam will give 20 inches of vacuum.
Aftermarket low deck ali manifold TM7 etc and a 650 carb for 15mpg.

440's are for trucks and Motorhomes lol... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!