News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil change time, what's reccomended?

Started by ottawamerc, April 03, 2015, 07:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottawamerc

Hi guys
It's finally getting close to getting my car out for the year and I need to do the annual oil change. I know this is a  :horse: subject and I did do a search on the subject but all I found was the chemists analysis on new and old oils etc. etc. when all I need is a "buy this oil"  :icon_smile_big: In the past I have used Brad Penn (last year) but I wasn't overly happy with it as it turned dark really fast, maybe just the way that oil was plus the $26 L price tag :eek2: So what about an alternative? what do you guys use?

Thanks
Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

c00nhunterjoe

If the oil doesnt get dirty, then its not doing its job. Bradpenn is great oil. I order it by the case from summit. Usually 8 bucks a quart. Thats pretty cheap.

firefighter3931

Bradd Penn....hands down  :bow:

Who the hell is selling it at $26/L ? Stinson's on hwy 31 sells it by the case. Last year bought a dozen bottles for ~$75 for the 20/50 semi synthetic.  :2thumbs:

The oil does go dark fairly fast but that's nothing to worry about.....it's dark green coming out of the container.  ;)

Get a Napa "Gold" filter on there as well  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

2nd the NAPA gold! Even made a big difference on my old 89 Cherokee. I'm running VR-1 20/50 in the Charger and Jeep.

RIDELIKEHELL

I run Brad Penn as well and ya it does go dark fast & I also buy it from Ebay for $75 usd a case..CGI motorsports...Along with the Napa 1515 (wix)filter
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

ottawamerc

Thanks Guys
Ya I already got the NAPA filter, Ron for my engine do you recommend 20/50 or 10/40? I ordered Brad Penn from Stintsons and she quoted me $4.80 a bottle :o I think she screwed up the price but I'll wait and see. Last year I bought it at my engine builders (Randy's performance) for $26L.

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

69wannabe

Quote from: ottawamerc on April 05, 2015, 04:47:15 PM
Thanks Guys
Ya I already got the NAPA filter, Ron for my engine do you recommend 20/50 or 10/40? I ordered Brad Penn from Stintsons and she quoted me $4.80 a bottle :o I think she screwed up the price but I'll wait and see. Last year I bought it at my engine builders (Randy's performance) for $26L.

I have ran the VR 1 20W 50. Seems a bit thick for my taste so I went back to the reg valvoline 10W40 with a bottle of ZDDPlus additive. This works for me but next oil change I may try some of the Brad Penn 10W40. I run a WIX filter or a Mopar filter usually

bill440rt

I just did oil changes on 3 cars. Two run synthetic, the green '69 runs regular dino oil until I can put just a few more miles on it. Probably will switch to synthetic in that car next year.

I run Castrol GTX 10w40 synthetic, in the other Castrol 10w40 dino oil (with a K&N filter), all get a bottle of ZDDP.

What I found is that now all the local stores no longer carry 10w40 synthetic, even places like WalMart & such. There is just no demand for it in the newer cars so it is being phased out locally. I rounded up the last remaining quarts I could. Regular 10w40 dino oil I can still get.
So, maybe next year I'll have to switch to Brad Penn or some other oil.

Do you still need to add a bottle of ZDDP additive with the Brad Penn oil?  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

b5blue

No it's got it. I ordered a case of it myself, @ 75.00 per case delv. it will cost about the same as VR-1 but have more detergent for the long run.  :scratchchin:

myk

Quote from: bill440rt on April 05, 2015, 10:01:30 PM
I just did oil changes on 3 cars. Two run synthetic, the green '69 runs regular dino oil until I can put just a few more miles on it. Probably will switch to synthetic in that car next year.

I run Castrol GTX 10w40 synthetic, in the other Castrol 10w40 dino oil (with a K&N filter), all get a bottle of ZDDP.

What I found is that now all the local stores no longer carry 10w40 synthetic, even places like WalMart & such. There is just no demand for it in the newer cars so it is being phased out locally. I rounded up the last remaining quarts I could. Regular 10w40 dino oil I can still get.
So, maybe next year I'll have to switch to Brad Penn or some other oil.

Do you still need to add a bottle of ZDDP additive with the Brad Penn oil?  :scratchchin:

Aw man I run 10W40 Castrol GTX 'Syn as well.  Looks like we'll both be switching to something else...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

bordin34

I've been running both Rotella T6 5w-40, T1 15w-40, or VR-1 20w-50. Basically I go with whatever is on sale or I have sitting on my shelf. All of these oils should protect just fine.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

firefighter3931

Quote from: ottawamerc on April 05, 2015, 04:47:15 PM
Thanks Guys

Hi Scott  :wave:

Bearing clearances dictate oil viscosity. What weight are you using now and what is your hot idle oil pressure ?

Personally I like 40-50 psi at hot idle. I use the BP 20/50 but my main & rod bearings are at .0025 so a bit on the loose side. At hot idle I'm at 45-50 psi. At cold startup it's 75 psi

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BananaDan

I use VR-1 20W-50 but have heard many rave reviews of Brad Penn as well.  Here is some info on ZDDP content in each.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf
Zinc: 0.14  Phosphorus:  0.13

http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/bp_pb/7126_50_44_58_19_BP_PG1_Multigrade_HP_Oils_PB.pdf
Zinc: 0.15  Phosphorus:  0.14

Both are available on Amazon Prime, which is my preferred option for low-hassle shopping.

$72/case
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ4FIPQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ZCRSK2WP2VOC&coliid=I28ILDQJFMG953&psc=1

$76/case
http://www.amazon.com/Brad-Penn-009-7119-12PK-Synthetic-Oil/dp/B003TPB3ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428334162&sr=8-1&keywords=brad+penn

I use Wix Racing filter #51515R.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSIPXY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2ZCRSK2WP2VOC&coliid=IT6KYGH6O74U2

Ron,
I've read that Wix manufactures Napa's filters.  Are the Napa Gold the same quality/performance of the Wix Racing line of filters?
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Just 6T9 CHGR

Was running the 20w50 VR1 for a while but recently switched to Castrol 10w40 with a bottle of ZDDP

Always use a "custom" WIX filter as well..... (custom is painted white with some red & blue stripes to "look" like a Mopar filter ;) )
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: bordin34 on April 06, 2015, 07:38:00 AM
I've been running both Rotella T6 5w-40, T1 15w-40, or VR-1 20w-50. Basically I go with whatever is on sale or I have sitting on my shelf. All of these oils should protect just fine.

Negative ghost rider. Diesel oil lost the zddp in 2008.

BananaDan

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 06, 2015, 04:14:34 PM
Always use a "custom" WIX filter as well..... (custom is painted white with some red & blue stripes to "look" like a Mopar filter ;) )

Good idea. I know what I'm doing this weekend.   :icon_smile_big:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

c00nhunterjoe

I would also like to point out that if you go right to valvolines website and dowload their pdf about vr1 racing oil, it states very clearly that it meets the current api rating of sn. This means that it does not have the high levels of zddp. If it had the high levels that flat tappet cams require, then it could not get the api rating. Just click right under the picture of the oil where it says download product pdf and read it for yourself.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/racing-motor-oil/6

b5blue

I'll know soon about VR-1 as the intake is off and I'm pulling the valley pan this weekend for a good look around inside.  :scratchchin:

jlatessa

Valvoline's spec of Zinc/Phos. equates to 1400/1300 parts per million.

That's what we need, right??

Joe

PS, looking at my recently purchased bottle of VR1 10W30, it states
"Not for extended use in catalytic converter equipped cars"
Also, it's API rating is SG/CD.
Not the SL/SM/SN ratings you see on regular oils.
Plus the statement that it can be used in flat tappet engines......

PPS, BUT, It does say it exceeds the SL/SM/SN ratings too??

My cam shows no ill effects??

Joe

Looks OK for me...
Joe

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BananaDan on April 07, 2015, 09:20:24 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 06, 2015, 04:14:34 PM

Good idea. I know what I'm doing this weekend.   :icon_smile_big:

It was much easier when the WIX filters were already white...they started painting them black about 5-7 years ago :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69chargerboy

My engine builder likes the Joe Gibbs racing oil for my 440. Used Joe Gibbs for break in oil as well. I use Joe Gibbs with either a Wix XP filter or a K&N filter...  :Twocents:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

NHCharger

VR1 20w-50.
Wix filter 1515, not sure of the number.
Also use Comp Cam break in additive
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: jlatessa on April 08, 2015, 08:15:37 AM
Valvoline's spec of Zinc/Phos. equates to 1400/1300 parts per million.

That's what we need, right??

Joe

PS, looking at my recently purchased bottle of VR1 10W30, it states
"Not for extended use in catalytic converter equipped cars"
Also, it's API rating is SG/CD.
Not the SL/SM/SN ratings you see on regular oils.
Plus the statement that it can be used in flat tappet engines......

PPS, BUT, It does say it exceeds the SL/SM/SN ratings too??

My cam shows no ill effects??

Joe

Looks OK for me...
Joe

All i can say is their own site says it meets the current api ratings which means it is bad for your cam. My recommendation is this, pick up the phone and call the manufacturer of your cam and lifters and tell them what you are using. If they say its good, then run it.

Stegs

just had my 440 rebuilt

They are using brand penn break in oil, then after that they strongly suggested i use brand penn for the rest of the motors life.

Now, i asked about rotella syn blend with engine pro additive they sell ....His response " that will work just fine as long as you dump in the additive. We run brand penn in all the motors here we build here and never had a issue caused by bad oil. Brand penn just seems to work better than regular oil with the additive"

I can get brand penn thru them for 7.50-8 a quart.....

well 1 oil change in the spring, 1 in the fall...i can afford it!

Oh yea, he said run napa gold filters always....

mopar0166