News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions about 1970 door VIN decals

Started by Dodge Don, February 27, 2015, 08:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnation74

:popcrn:I like the current audience :popcrn:

Were these tags replaced back in the day at the collision repair shops that abided by the rules?  For example if a door was replaced.

What was the process back then to get a replacement tag?

Davtona

Quote from: moparnation74 on March 04, 2015, 11:13:31 PM

Were these tags replaced back in the day at the collision repair shops that abided by the rules?  For example if a door was replaced.

They didn't worry about it. It was simply a used car. The moved on with life, got up and drove the car to work the next morning. Look we all know at some point nothing lasts for ever. You and I will be gone. In 5 billion years the sun and all we know will be gone. Everything ages you, me and door tags as well. Things are only new once. You were only born once. Do you want a nice new looking tag or the 50 year old version. Which is better Miss America the day after she wins the title or 50 years later?

moparnation74

Quote from: Davtona on March 04, 2015, 11:31:18 PM

They didn't worry about it. It was simply a used car. The moved on with life, got up and drove the car to work the next morning. Look we all know at some point nothing lasts for ever. You and I will be gone. In 5 billion years the sun and all we know will be gone. Everything ages you, me and door tags as well. Things are only new once. You were only born once. Do you want a nice new looking tag or the 50 year old version. Which is better Miss America the day after she wins the title or 50 years later?

I agree with the 50 year old tag vs new version.  The 50 year old tag would be saved and a reproduction made for the car.  I have restored many Mopars and I would never have painted around a 50 year old tag.  Unless that tag was perfect, which is very rare.

JB400

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 04, 2015, 10:01:56 PM
Quote from: JB400 on March 04, 2015, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: nvrbdn on March 04, 2015, 09:12:05 PM
I can see a need for the ability to acquire an original looking sticker. I can also see the possibility to have a missing sticker or the wrong sticker on your car. if a car was in an accident lets say back in the day (70's) and the drivers door was toast. would the repair shop that acquired a replacement door from a salvage yard, or parts department care if the right sticker was on the door? then if you were replacing it, would you want it to be as the factory would have?
I'd rather it be known the door was replaced, instead of covering it up with a counterfeit sticker.

Really? I own a collision/resto shop and we strive every day to do repairs that are indetectable.
But, would you rather let your customers know that you replaced a wrecked door with a solid, straight replacement door, or used the original door, and straighten it with bondo?  I'm one that would like to know how you got the results instead of just letting the results speak for themselves.

ECS

Hi MP74,
Prior to 2004, most Collision Repair Centers were not allowed to remove the Decal from a damaged door so they cut it out of the B Pillar and put in the Customer's glovebox.  We are the Company who established and "invented" the replacement VIN Industry and the bylaws have been written to accommodate our programs that supply the Shops who need the replacement Labels.  We use the same artwork and proprietary material that the Originals used.  They provide us access (to the same supplier) to obtain the correct label material so what we supply is a direct replacement of their original versions.
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

moparnation74

Quote from: ECS on March 05, 2015, 12:11:47 AM

Hi MP74,
Prior to 2004, most Collision Repair Centers were not allowed to remove the Decal from a damaged door so they cut it out of the B Pillar and put in the Customer's glovebox.  We are the Company who established and "invented" the replacement VIN Industry and the bylaws have been written to accommodate our programs that supply the Shops who need the replacement Labels.  We use the same artwork and proprietary material that the Originals used.  They provide us access (to the same supplier) to obtain the correct label material so what we supply is a direct replacement of their original versions.
If I am reading this correctly.  A reputable shop replaces a damaged drivers door on a 70 charger.  They will cut out the vin door decal from the damaged door and place in it the glovebox?  Now that's interesting.  Has anyone ever found one?

JB400

counterfeit:  made to look like an exact copy of something in order to trick people

Webster's words, not mine:  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/counterfeit

ECS

Quote from: JB400 on March 05, 2015, 01:30:06 AM
counterfeit:  made to look like an exact copy of something in order to trick people
Webster's words, not mine:  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/counterfeit

Here's the one you skipped over to quote the "kinder" version for what the word actually means:

coun·ter·feit/ˈkoun(t)ərˌfit/
adjective
made in exact imitation of something valuable or important with the intention to deceive or defraud.

de·fraud/dəˈfrôd/
verb
illegally obtain money from (someone) by deception.

I can assure you what we do is not intended to "defraud" anyone.  If you think otherwise, please feel free to report us to the proper legal authorities.

ECS

Quote from: moparnation74 on March 05, 2015, 12:30:02 AMIf I am reading this correctly.  A reputable shop replaces a damaged drivers door on a 70 charger.  They will cut out the vin door decal from the damaged door and place in it the glovebox?  Now that's interesting.  Has anyone ever found one?

I can't answer for what they would do to a "classic vehicle" like a Charger but it happens all the time.  Most people with classic cars will go to a "specialty shop" for restoration repairs and not a "regular" Repair Facility.  I have over 50 metal squares off cars where the Body Shops sent the piece of metal from the B Pillar (with the VIN stuck to it) for their documentation.  I would be happy to post some photos of those items if you would like to see a few examples.

Ghoste

And bear in mind that in 1970, the door decal was a new thing as were the laws that put it there.  Shops would have little idea that it was even there.  Fast foward to the modern shop and the modern cars where a VIN can be found on most major components to help keep thieves out of business and insurance fraud at bay.  Bodyshop replaces a component with the number on, they need to show the part was replaced and that the source for the replacement in many cases.

moparnation74

Quote from: Ghoste on March 05, 2015, 06:43:00 AM
And bear in mind that in 1970, the door decal was a new thing as were the laws that put it there.  Shops would have little idea that it was even there.  Fast foward to the modern shop and the modern cars where a VIN can be found on most major components to help keep thieves out of business and insurance fraud at bay.  Bodyshop replaces a component with the number on, they need to show the part was replaced and that the source for the replacement in many cases.
Good point, Shawn that does make sense.  I guess this was not an major issue until a much later date.

Challenger340

Quote from: ECS on March 04, 2015, 10:47:00 PM
Quote from: JB400 on March 04, 2015, 09:53:08 PM
......instead of covering it up with a counterfeit sticker.

We do not offer "counterfeit" stickers.  They are as legitimate and original as the ones manufactured by Chrysler.  Below is the Chrysler Corporate Memo in case you missed it along with an internet links from Car Star and ABRA.  We are also Exclusive providers for those Facilities as well as others.

Quick question.
I couldn't help but notice that the "License Agreement" with Chrysler, specifically authorizes the reproduction of stickers for late model 1991 - present Chrysler vehicles ?
Maybe I missed it... but is ECS Licensed for the earlier (ie; 1970) Vehicles as well ?

Thank You.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

I think thats just the press release for the big moneymaker in VIN decals for ECS and Carstar.  I'm pretty sure Dave was already licenced previously by Chrysler to reproduce the old stuff.
But I could be wrong.

Challenger340

moparnation74

Sweet ride chall340!  Is that car black exterior with tan interior? 

Ghoste

He does do the safety decals and he can do date coded seat belt labels too, don't know what else they make.  (and ditto on the accolades for that 69!)

Challenger340

Quote from: moparnation74 on March 05, 2015, 09:20:06 AM

Yep, kind of an oddball... but I like it.

IMO, it stays a bit cooler inside with the factory Tinted Glass all around and "Tan" interior as opposed to Black.
If it was black interior I think it would need A/C for sure, which it is not an A/C Car.

moparnation74

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 05, 2015, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: moparnation74 on March 05, 2015, 09:20:06 AM

Yep, kind of an oddball... but I like it.

IMO, it stays a bit cooler inside with the factory Tinted Glass all around and "Tan" interior as opposed to Black.
If it was black interior I think it would need A/C for sure, which it is not an A/C Car.
I actually like that combo!  It gives it an exotic car look with the classic meanness!

ACUDANUT

Ok, I might have missed it, but did all 70 Chargers have a vin decal on their doors ?

4cruzin

I just read this whole thread and WOW is all I have to say . . . .  :rotz:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

hemigeno

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 05, 2015, 10:31:13 AM
Ok, I might have missed it, but did all 70 Chargers have a vin decal on their doors ?

Yes, originally they would have had a VIN decal - as would all 1970 and later models.  The door jamb sticker on '67-69 models pretty much guaranteed the same thing (that the car was built to safety standards in place at the time), but the '70+ models gave the month & year of manufacture, plus the VIN.

Brock Lee

All the drama aside, I have spent years reverse engineering old graphics. Primarily for stickers and labels (not in the auto industry). ECS has an amazing eye for detail. Everything looks as if it was NOS. I do not see how they can be done better. Many think "Oh, I can just snap a pic and Photoshop it"..Nope. You can actually see the work invested in the products.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: hemigeno on March 05, 2015, 11:19:44 AM

Yes, originally they would have had a VIN decal - as would all 1970 and later models.  The door jamb sticker on '67-69 models pretty much guaranteed the same thing (that the car was built to safety standards in place at the time), but the '70+ models gave the month & year of manufacture, plus the VIN.

Cool, thanks. So ECU makes them ?

hemigeno

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 05, 2015, 01:18:12 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on March 05, 2015, 11:19:44 AM

Yes, originally they would have had a VIN decal - as would all 1970 and later models.  The door jamb sticker on '67-69 models pretty much guaranteed the same thing (that the car was built to safety standards in place at the time), but the '70+ models gave the month & year of manufacture, plus the VIN.

Cool, thanks. So ECU makes them ?

Yep - ECS does make them, as has been discussed in this thread.  

I believe Performance Car Graphics (David Patik) produces them as well, but I haven't seen his handiwork in person as I have with ECS/Dave Walden's.

Shakey

Quote from: 4cruzin on March 05, 2015, 11:16:18 AM
I just read this whole thread and WOW is all I have to say . . . .  :rotz:

I did the same thing the other day but was to dumbfounded to post/say anything.    :pity:

At least I came out of it with a new one from Dodge Don:

Quotecome out swinging like a deranged ape with a road flare up its ass
:yesnod: