News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter Window Mechanism - Additional question

Started by john108, February 24, 2015, 02:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Dodge Charger.
I removed the mechanism as shown in the picture and have the new rollers that I will try to install.
My basic question:
After dis-assembly and clean-up, should the metal be painted?
If so, what paint?
When applying grease, would wheel bearing grease be acceptable or is another recommended?
Thank you,
John

john108

oldcarnut

Quote from: john108 on February 24, 2015, 02:17:54 PM
1968 Dodge Charger.

My basic question:
After dis-assembly and clean-up, should the metal be painted? Just my opinion but that look pretty clean of rust already.  Look how long it's already been in there.  If the galvanized steel coating isn't rusting then painting would be not needed.  You could do the bare steel pieces after clean up if your able to remove all the grease residue.
If so, what paint?  I'll probably get criticized for this one but I'm painting my with a good quality rattle can enamel.
When applying grease, would wheel bearing grease be acceptable or is another recommended? I would think any grease would work that had a good stickiness.  I've used general purpose wheel bearing grease with no problems
Thank you,
John
I just pulled mine out in the 70RR because the arms are bent and need rollers also but I had to take it out in pieces  :eek2:  Where did you find the best prices on the roller kits?

green69rt

IIRC most of the pieces in the window works are galvanized.  So no paint is required and may even serve to gum up the mechanism.  If some pieces are showing rust it might be ok to clean them up and paint but I wouldn't paint everything (and in my car I didn't paint anything, I think.)

Charger-Bodie

Yep, clean it up and slather on some wheel bearing grease.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

john108

I bought the roller kit a few years ago - expensive!
I don't think there is a best price.
YearOne   MT105

moparnation74

Clean up, treat the rusted parts and use wheel bearing grease.

Check r/t specialties or mega parts for the possibility of a better price.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

green69rt

If I remember correctly, all I did was soak the parts in degreaser then relube and install.  Here's what mine came out looking like.  Smooth acting!

john108

Hi

I know I have seen it before, on this board, but I cant find it.
I am looking for the reference for replacing the rubber bumpers on the quarter window travel limit brackets.
There is more than one size.
Replacement material or actual parts??

Thank you,
John

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

The rubber bumpers are actually just some rubber hose cut in sections, don't waste your money.