News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which Ebay radiator

Started by Wicked72, February 15, 2015, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I cant afford a good name brand Raid. So ebay will be the right price and hopefully work well enough. I running a stock 400 for now in my 72. Im not sure which raid to go with. Theres a raid that says their 2 row is better then any 3-4 row. and for about the same price I can get a 3 or 4 row. all of them being aluminum. Anyone have some advice on the ebay raids and which one will work best for future engine upgrades?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

c00nhunterjoe

You can get a decent aluminum radiator for around 200 bucks. The 2 rows is all you need unless you have some crazy big inch, high compression engine that you plan on idling in traffic on the 4th of july in arizona.
   That said, be sure to read the fine print to see if they come with built in trans coolers if your car is an auto, some dont have drain cocks, and some require custom mounts. To each his own if you are not worried about originality. They are most likely all made in taiwan somewhere at the same factory and put in a different labeled box.

A383Wing

the 2 row that has 1" tubes will be better than any 3 or 4 row out there...it will hold more water and cool better

I'm running that rad in 3 of my cars....

Wicked72

awsome that answered my question! thanks guys!

werner

I RUN THE THE CHAMPION 4 CORE, WAS ABOUT $250. WITH NO SHROUD IT KEEPS MY 528 HEMI COOL IN 80 DEGREE HEAT
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Wicked72

Quote from: werner on February 17, 2015, 09:54:16 AM
I RUN THE THE CHAMPION 4 CORE, WAS ABOUT $250. WITH NO SHROUD IT KEEPS MY 528 HEMI COOL IN 80 DEGREE HEAT

What are you using for a fan/fans?

A383Wing

I'm running non-thermal fan clutch with 7 blade fan on it...no shroud, no issues

Wicked72

A383Wing

lots of work to install that and get it working right....a stock fan blade and non-thermal fan clutch are just a bolt in affair...

your car though...I have never been a fan (no pun intended) of running just electric fan alone on these cars

justcruisin

If the choice is between the two you posted the more expensive radiator would be my choice. It has two rows of 1" tubes, the Champion has two rows of probably 3/4" tubes. I would also confirm the tube spacing but it does appear to be on 3/8 centers. I agree with A383Wing, I don't feel comfortable with counting on just an electric fan although late models run them with no issues, just my preference. I use a 6 blade aluminium fan on a HD clutch and a shroud but I also run a 17" electric in the front, this is on a Champion 22" 3 core with 3/4" tubes, the electric fan only kicks in on hot days in stop go traffic, it is on a thermo switch set at 190. Normal running temp is 175-180, that's with a high flow 180 stat.

A383Wing

the newer cars that just run electric fan has a lot less water to cool, and more efficient circulation systems....

chargd72

Quote from: Wicked72 on February 17, 2015, 08:54:43 PM
Im thinking id like to do electric. maybe this?

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm

I have a champion 3 row 26" rad with a 95 Ford Taurus fan.  It really is not much work at all and it will keep anything cool you can throw at it.  I got the fan for 25$ off craigslist but I do recommend spending money on a good variable speed relay.  This one is fully adjustable and comes in a 60% so it doesn't put a big load on you electrical system.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-31163?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAjZGnBRCOuJOUo9Xd0sUBEiQAPbicNyJUDFN8qz-Of8w1v1si0KnGGdekv0Nrwa-gMjolgZcaAm0u8P8HAQ

You can find one cheaper if you search around.  I paid about $140 for mine less than a year ago.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Wicked72

The first one i posted was a 3/4 tube. they sent me a link to this actually when i asked. Would a 3 row from them be a better choice? I read different things about 2,3 and 4 rows raids and it really cant seem to find a hey this is what you need answer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111416341809?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

justcruisin

Most of the three and four core Champion radiators use  5/8 tubes. Mine is a three core and works great but I ordered one with 3/4 tubes, same part number but with a "B" (for big core) on the end. With the 4 core clearance may be an issue with a clutch fan, the thicker the radiator the harder it is to be able to pull air through it, in most cases temp at an idle in traffic is the biggest issue so you need to be able to pull air through the radiator well. Personally I would go with a radiator with 2 rows of 1" tubes on 3/8" spacings for your application and budget. Good water volume and thickness at a minimum and the price is right. You can get radiators with 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" tubes but they are pricey.

Wicked72

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the 2 row champ with 1" tubes. not sure what in going to do for the fan yet.