News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 B7 BLUE INTERIOR DASH PADS,DOOR PADS,ETC..COLOR ????

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, March 26, 2006, 07:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Hello everyone,I am in the process of getting my interior pieces finished and am looking for anyone with B7 blue interior to see what they used for the dash pad,and lower cushions and cushions above the door panels.I have the paint for the dash (metal ),nailed down.As I have stated in other posts or replys,I have been doing paint and body for about 18 years and about 10 years ago had a good friend become a PPG paint rep,so with my own years of experience and the knowledge he has brought me has excelled me up the ladder as a painter.When I restore a car I try to get whatever part it may be right on the money as how it is supposed to look,as original.I will give the resto vendors a shot with their product,but if it's not right I will do what it takes to get it right.As my post on the 69 grille restoration a while back,the paint offered for the grill ,called grill silver is not even close!! So I took a paint proffit,computer picture, right on the part(N.O.S grill) got a formula,and kept messing with it until it was right.The same thing is happening with the interior color for this car.The vendors rattle can interior paint for this application also is not even close!! So I went right to the PPG color library,(not a paint chip book),but the actual place that a rep would call to get formulas for such situations.This is what was found: the dash(metal part)and steering column is PPG # 13689 which is called majesty blue....SUEDE FINISH.It looks chaulky after it dries as to not get sun glare.But in the formula,it did not show there being any metallic,which there IS!!!!I I mixed it and had to add  DMD 631 fine aluminum to get to the correct look,which I based on the remaining original paint that was under the dashpad,that has never hit sunlight.That part is done,now my inquirey.When any original B7 blue interior piece I have is wiped down with cleaner or whatever,to bring out the color,they appear blue with a fine metallic in it,but with a little hint of green in it.When we mixed the appropriate # color for the vinyl pieces and did spray outs they are appearing just blue metallic,without that hint of greenish in them.Have these pieces uniformly faded or what .Even my original door panels ,never messed with appear this way.Has anyone gone through this????????? And what did you come up with????

Recharger

Good info, 69 our/tea, any chance I could buy some of that custom mixed blue from you??  Or could you tell me the mix ratio to take to a paint shop?  I'm about to redo my dash and steering column, and I'd love to have the right stuff. 

I also have a blue interior, but it's for a 68. (two-tone blue, C6B code on the fender tag)  Of the few blue 69's I've seen, the blue seems to be the same shade for both years.  I'm not positive about that though, so if you or someone else knows otherwise, let me know.  To answer your question, I think you're right that the green you're seeing is just a result of the pigments/dyes breaking down over the years.  I've seen the same thing on some of my pieces, and it seems worse in some areas than others, which suggests it's due to fading & break down.  I vaguely remember reading that on the old site too, but I don't know if there was ever a definite conclusion.  I'd suggest going with the metallic blue you've got without trying to add any green.

Same question goes for that color, btw... can you let me know what the code is that you have for blue for the plastic pieces and vinyl?  Do you know what the code is for the lighter shade of blue?  I'm really starting to wish I'd switched over to a black interior...  ::)

69 OUR/TEA

Hello Recharger,if it is for a 68 with two tone dark blue light blue interior,it is different then 69.Go to general discussion section under,search for topic  WANNA BEE and look at my 68 coronet 440 interior pic because that is what it has,and tell me if that is what you have.

Recharger

I took a look at your pics in that thread, but it's hard to tell.  (Awesome car, btw :drool5:)  The dark blue looks the same as mine, but the light blue seems darker than the light blue I have.  I'm not sure if it's a result of the photography or what.  Do you have the correct suede finish code for that Coronet dash?  Would it be the same as the 68 Charger?  Thanks for the info...

69 OUR/TEA

Hello recharger,next time I am at my paint store I will look it up,but chances are slim as to it be a correct match,I'll explain.I looked up 69 Dodge interior codes and colors and there actually is a section thats says "suede finish,used on dash ,steering column ,etc."That code was 13705 and can only be made in laquer.I then brought up the formula,and what I thought looked out of place was it had " texture " in the formula.I mixed it and did a test spray,and it was way off from the original dash color.Even under my dash pad,that was protected from uv rays,looked darker and did not have a texture to it.Long before I got this paint code, a friend told me the number was 13689,so when I had my friend who is a PPG rep call the PPG color library to get a formula for this code,and make it in DIU,interior paint,it came out looking to grey.So I started tinting it and doing trial spray outs(alot of them) until I got it very,very close to the original paint still left under dash pad and behind lower cushions.But keep in mind,you need this suede finish to not get the glare off it.So I will check on 68 suede color for you,and  I will get back to you on what I found.Do you have a paint supply store near you that sells PPG because I can just give you the code(omit the texture)have it mixed,and spray it out ?I looked at my coronet,and the top of the dash(metal)is alot lighter than the 69 B7 blue interiors dash.                                                                                                                                                                                                   Also for the dash pad,and lower cushions and anything else vinyl or plastic(kick panels,console,etc.)  I used PPG specialty product line SC dye.Again using a mint original blue lower dash cushion and an NOS blue horn button as my guide,I had to make a starting point of color do spray outs,and keep tinting until I nailed that color right on.I can't say enough about THIS product,it is awesome!!!! If you have a black interior(it makes it real easy),you can use SEM interior vinyl paint/ dye whatever they call it,as long as it works.But if you have a color for your interior I would go to whatever lenght to get it right.I am  a stickler for this,just like my past posts on grille restoration.Everyone is using "grille silver",I had not one but two NOS grilles plus a mint original.THEY ARE NOT SILVER !!!!! For most everyone that will do just fine.I took a proffit(computer picture scan)of my NOS grilles,and came up with a formula ,mixed it,did test spray outs,and also kept playing with the tints until I got it right.The computer actually spits out a name,and called the color "ash grey poly".The good thing is I have the actual formula for it still and can make more at any time.A member of this board whom I am friends with,that owns a 69 R/T went and bought some for himself already.It is in another PPG line,that gets put into a spray can for you that is ready to spray,costing me $22.00 a can.But if it's right,who cares!!! So how can you buy this grille silver for 10 or 12 dollars a can,AND they made a proffit.You may as well have went to a hardware store and just bought light silver spray paint for $3.99.With enough said,I will get back to you hopefully with a code you can try.

Recharger

Ugh, why didn't I just switch to black interior...   :brickwall:

Did you find that 68 suede code?  I do have a PPG supplier in town, so my first plan was to take the dash or steering column in for their proffit computer to scan & match.  However, after reading what you've said, I don't have much confidence in that system...  How large an area do they need to scan for an accurate color?  I don't have much clean area left on any of these pieces.  I have about a 1/4 inch wide strip of clean vinyl on the back of a few door panels for the interior vinyl dyes, and maybe a half inch wide strip on the dash where the pad was.  Would that be enough, or would that lead to an inaccurate color?

Keep in mind, I'm not worried about being 100% concours correct.  I figure if no one on the board here seems too sure about these colors, 99.9% of the people who look at my car won't know any better.  (and I'm not too worried about the other .1%)  The thing is though, I feel like as long as I'm going to all this trouble to restore the car, I might as well do it right if I can.  Mainly I just don't want it to look WRONG.  It seems to me the dark blue of your 69 and 68 coronet are the same, and they look the same as my 68.  I know I'm basing that on photos, which can alter colors a bit, but it looks close to mee...  Here's a referenche shot I took a while ago comparing the different shades of blue I'm working with...

69 OUR/TEA

Hello Recharger,here is the paint code for the suede finish for 68,13449,it is called bahama blue.Just keep in mind,I tried it for my 69 with B7,it was to light,and in the formula it called for "texture",and under the dash pad where I still had the original dark blue suede,it was not textured.I sprayed it out anyway,just as i thought,not right!!! So have a pint mixed,and tell them to delete the texture.It can only be made in laquer,so you will have to get some thinner to mix with it.If you just want to do a test spray out you can use wash thinner,but for your actual application on the parts,you have to use DTL thinner.My 68 coronet with the same color combo as your interior ,has a light blue dash frame and the upper and lower door color is also light blue.When it is light outside I will take some pics for you.I like your style,if your going to restore it,try and do it right!!  Did you do your grill yet,because I can give you the paint formula that I painstakingly went through to get for the grill color?

Recharger

Cool, thanks for the info  :thumbs:.  I'll be in touch with the paint shop, I remember one of them telling me before that they could still mix lacquers....

No, I haven't gotten to the grille yet, but that's due up soon (hopefully).  I think I saw that thread where you mentioned the color matching of the grille, it looked great.  If you've got that code handy I'd appreciate that too.  Thanks again for all the help with this, have a good one.

69 OUR/TEA

Hello Recharger,here are some reference pics of the 68 dash colors from my coronet.I tried to get a good pic of the metal dash frame color,but what it looks like in person as apposed to on a picture is just slightly different.From what you see in the pic,it is just a hair lighter.Also is a pic of the inside door.