News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Throttle shaft kit for Carter 4428s AVS? '(68 440 4spd)

Started by lloyd3, January 31, 2015, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Since I am trying to stay original here, I've had some discomfort with shipping this unit off for the big-buck clean-up, shine-up and rebuild.  I heard too-many stories about the Frankenstein effect (where parts make parts) and not knowing what you'll get back. I also used to rebuild carbs with pretty consistent success.  I am not getting a smooth power roll-on (like I used too) and it pisses gas out of the pivots when it's parked, making it very hard to re-start after it sits for more than a day.  These kits used to be commonly available, but no longer. Anybody have any suggestions as to where I might look for one?

John_Kunkel

There shouldn't be any gas in the throttle bores after shutdown to run out of the shafts.

There might not be AVS specific throttle shaft kits but you can get bushing kits by shaft size.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

lloyd3

Thank you Mr. Kunkel!  From my research, I'm guessing 3/8th inch primary shafts. What I may also be dealing with is the effect of modern fuels on older fuel systems. I'm sure the last time I rebuilt this unit was 15-years ago (at least). Hopefully modern rebuild kits are adapted to the modern fuels we're forced to live with.  I had an older carb cleaner kit then with a dip thank that would stink up the whole garage (and make my hands tingle if I got any of the solvent on them). I'm guessing that was di-Ethel ether because it really worked well. I'm sure the newer stuff will be really disappointing by comparison.  I've even considered buying another similar carb to use as a parts supply (4429?) as these 4-gear carbs are becoming hard to come by. Anybody know how the manual and auto carbs differed (other than the auto having kick-down linkage)?