News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil pan gasket

Started by Stegs, January 29, 2015, 01:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

I tracked down what appears to be a leaky oil pan gasket.

Ive been talking to a local engine builder for some other work i want done and i told him i need to have the oil pan gasket replaced

he told me in order to do that you need to pull the motor out of the car.....

Im 100% confused...i cant imagine having to pull the motor out for this gasket.....but is he right?

68 RT

Just drop the center link for steering linkage. Oil pan will drop right down.  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

And if your engine has a windage tray - you will need 2 oil pan gaskets....one above and one below the tray.....assuming you have a big block.
It is a little trickier with a windage tray - but totally do-able with the center link out of the way.  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Big block or small block?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

lukedukem

and do you have the part numbers for a big block

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Ranman69SE

This is an option if you don't already have a windage tray.  I've just installed the stroker version in my 493 and am pleased with the quality and ease of installation.  Being made out of nylon is a bit interesting, but hey it's lighter than steel!  :2thumbs:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2339/overview/
'69 Charger SE 493
'65 Pontiac GTO 6.5 Liter Tripower 4-spd convertible
'78 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab 460
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'91 Yamaha FJ1200

lukedukem

Quote from: Ranman69SE on January 30, 2015, 10:33:35 PM
This is an option if you don't already have a windage tray.  I've just installed the stroker version in my 493 and am pleased with the quality and ease of installation.  Being made out of nylon is a bit interesting, but hey it's lighter than steel!  :2thumbs:

From what I read on the only review no extra gaskets, it's just this thing by itself?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

ACUDANUT

Great new invention.. I'd find a mechanic who knows what he is talking about. 
How bad is the leak. ? ..All old cars leak something.  My curse is transmission fluid.

Ranman69SE

Luke, that is correct.  There are metal inserts surrounding each bolt hole, and a double-rubber seal around the perimeter, both top and bottom.  It really is well made, and I believe it is reusable. No more scraping gaskets and sealant  :2thumbs:
'69 Charger SE 493
'65 Pontiac GTO 6.5 Liter Tripower 4-spd convertible
'78 Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab 460
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'91 Yamaha FJ1200

Stegs

i have a 440, but we decided that now would be the time to pull the motor out and have it freshened up

we are going to pull the motor, go thru the entire thing. Im having the valves redone to run modern day gas, getting all new bearings, rings, etc....

Of course this includes all new gaskets and a port/polish on the heads

It not going to be cheap, but i figured now would be the right time....I have the money to do it so "go for it"

I dont know the history of the motor thats in my car, i do know it puffs some blue on startup, so im sure rings need to be replaced eventually

YAY for a fresh 440!!!

Chargerguy74

Sweet! I might give this a try.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002