News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dying interior panels from gold to black

Started by texas charger 73, January 24, 2015, 11:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texas charger 73

I currently have full gold interior in near perfect condition. I want tongo black since I can't find anyone to trade me straight up I'm lookimgningo dying mine black. Who has done this successfully? Does dying just mean painting? What's the best way to do this? What products I need? Also trim pieces, do I just paint? What color black? Flat,satin,gloss? 
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
8.25 with 3:55
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

b5blue

I used OER Brand Mopar interior "dyes" bought through JEG's. I've painted plastic and steel stuff that was painted over with plain old Krylon years ago. Repop and old parts black and colors all to blue. It's held up good and taken recoat when needed. (My car is "Under Construction") Rattle cans worked okay but large areas I shot with a small HVLP gun using the QT. cans.
  Gold is rare and many parts of 3rd Gen. are so hard to find it's a bit of a can of worms situation for you, the only parts of the car I have made of that injected molded like your interior sides is my seat backs. I have them repop in blue and may need to dye them but don't know yet. The gloss is a decent middle of the road but for some more demanding restorations you'd want flat/low/satin/semi gloss, even textured.
  If you paint over gold and anything lets go your screwed so I'd do a lot of testing for really good adhesion before committing. 

Dino

Look into SEM color coat.  Follow their prep guides and you will be able to dye the seats and actually use them.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Back N Black

I used SEM Landeau black spray dye. I did all dash door panels and seats, its been 8 years and the seats look great.

ODZKing

Black panels are relatively easy to find in good condition. I would sell the gold and buy black ones.
I know other folks here have had fairly good luck with dying panels.  I have not.  I used everything SEM suggested and mine still chip and peel. Eventually it will come off, but that is my  :Twocents:

texas charger 73

I have looked for black panels and cheapest I found were $400. Dont have that coin.  Maybe I can trade my Ralley set up for a set.
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic

ODZKing

Quote from: texas charger 73 on January 26, 2015, 10:33:54 AM
I have looked for black panels and cheapest I found were $400. Dont have that coin.  Maybe I can trade my Ralley set up for a set.
Well, that SEM stuff isn't cheap. That is what bugs me most, all the $$ I spent on that stuff could have gone toward new or used panels.  Just the preparation products are $15/can +. Live and learn my friend   :brickwall:

texas charger 73

That's crazy.  I'll just keep searching panels
1973 dodge charger
mild 318
904 reverse manual vb
2 1/2" flowmasters
Sdh1120@yahoo.com
Plum crazy metallic