News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

(Speculation) Who's gonna buy our Chargers in 20 years?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, January 18, 2015, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Who's gonna buy our Chargers?

Probably bigger than the Chargers, but let's focus on those, as they are still a contemporary and well-sought muscle car.
Who is going to buy these cars in another 20+ years?

I guess this begs a few questions:

* When do we start buying collector cars? For some, we bought them just as cars, or knew they were cool, ahead of their time.
* When do we sell our cars? In other words, when do we trade our junk for the comfy Lincoln or Cadillac, move to Florida, and wait for the angels?
* And who do we expect to buy our cars in the next 20-30 years? I use this as a figure, as that's probably when I'll sell, unless medical technology keeps me alive for another 40...

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you even care, or is it for the here and now, for now?  :popcrn:

Bob T

Baldwinvettes kids will buy em  :lol:

I reckon a lot of the cars will go the way of vintage cars that your grandfather liked and generationally that they wont have that much appeal except for the pockets of resistance around the world. I mean, maintaining a 65 year old car for parts will not be a task that many could probably undertake and who knows how the enviro's are going to affect the octane and emission ratings in the future.

So, availability of cars will decrease, prices will drop because the target buyers will also shrink and when gramps pegs out and the grandkids all decide to cash in on his 440 V code R/T cause they cant/wont or are afraid to drive it, maintain it and fill it up with what?

Get driving old guys, I'm 45, but if I was 65 I'd probably look at selling my car unless my daughter put up a good case for it when she turned 30, unlikely as it seems  ;)
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

moparnation74

The economy of course plays a major role for luxury items.

Key, rare cars will always command a higher value.  However, in 20-30 years who will be in the market for those.  The millennial generation is looking grim for that affordability, intelligence, common sense, and general mechanical knowledge to own these cars.  I was a big collector of rare comic books and rare baseball cards.  At the height of that market the values were phenominal.  Now they pail in comparison.  

What changed my focus on the so called "nest egg collections" was the passing of family members.  I realized life is way too short to wait for that golden moment to retire and to enjoy life.  

Enjoy them while you can because at any moment things can change.

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 18, 2015, 11:48:33 AM

Key, rare cars will always command a higher value.  However, in 20-30 years who will be in the market for those.  The millennial generation is looking grim for that affordability, intelligence, common sense, and general mechanical knowledge to own these cars.  I was a big collector of rare comic books and rare baseball cards.  At the height of that market the values were phenominal.  Now they pail in comparison.  

What changed my focus on the so called "nest egg collections" was the passing of family members.  I realized life is way too short to wait for that golden moment to retire and to enjoy life.  

Good points.

I am struggling with a record collection of about 800 LPs, a baseball card collection, a "O" Gauge train collection, and on, and on... None of this stuff which was handed down to me matters much to my family. So what to do?   :scratchchin: I'll eventually post them all on CL, I suppose.  :Twocents:

Mike DC

moparnation74

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on January 18, 2015, 12:24:29 PM
Quote from: moparnation74 on January 18, 2015, 11:48:33 AM

Good points.

I am struggling with a record collection of about 800 LPs, a baseball card collection, a "O" Gauge train collection, and on, and on... None of this stuff which was handed down to me matters much to my family. So what to do?  :scratch chin: I'll eventually post them all on CL, I suppose.  :Twocents:
I do understand your struggle.  Eventually, I came to the realization to cut my losses and to simply let it go.  Financially, letting go was not a factor.  My wife will have a much easier time dealing with money in the bank versus massive collections.  Overall, I look at it as, Do you think that when you pass your wife/children could handle a large estate?  Some people will chime in and say, "well just have an estate sale."  Easier said than done and there are fees/taxes associated with that process.

So in turn, we simplified our lifestyle.  Yes, we do have a few things but in the event of a life changing moment.  The stress/strain for our survivors is greatly limited of dealing with our estate.

70 sublime

I hope the muscle car era cars will live on better than some of the older cars
I have a 22 Model T in my garage beside my Charger and the prices on them have really come down
It was the car we used in our wedding back in 1987 (was the wife's Uncle's car so never for sale) and is very hard to drive and feel safe with other car whizzing past
Dad is in his 70's now and has a 57 Chev and even that stuff is coming down from what it once was

All 3 of these cars had a peak in prices but as the ones that wanted them the first time around that could not get them till later in life are starting to thin out (die off) the values will keep going down to a base level

A good car that is safe to drive on main roads and highways will always be more usefull and hopefully be used more later on in life (muscle cars)

I had started to collect the O scale Lionel train stuff also and had a big pile of parts
Wanted to set something up to display it but when reality set in it that was not going to happen I started to sell it off and was surprised how much prices had dropped on that stuff also

I think the best idea is only grab what you like to have in the way of a car and enjoy it while you can and if it worth more to someone else in the end then good but get your money's worth out of it and drive it now  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

six-tee-nine

I think anything out of the roaring sixtief will Always attrackt more then anything else.

Not sure prices will drop in the next 20 years
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Ghoste

I hope it isn't in 20 years.  I want to be the old bastard with his Charger on blocks in the backyard drinking whiskey and yelling at neighborhood cats (the little pricks keep sitting on the hood) every day once I can't drive it anymore.  When I'm done with it my kids will be the ones who have to worry about who will buy it.

Cncguy

marshallfry01

I'll buy them!!! I'll be 40 in 20 years! Maybe they will be affordable by then  :smilielol: I plan on getting a 69 when I'm finished with college and my multi-engine rating. But if the day comes in 20-30 years where they end up being cheaper, you can bet I'll buy what I can.  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: marshallfry01 on January 18, 2015, 03:35:21 PM
I'll buy them!!! I'll be 40 in 20 years! Maybe they will be affordable by then  :smilielol: I plan on getting a 69 when I'm finished with college and my multi-engine rating. But if the day comes in 20-30 years where they end up being cheaper, you can bet I'll buy what I can.  :2thumbs:

Cool, there is hope!  :2thumbs:

69_500

In 20 years I will be 55 so I will still be in the market for more cars. There are people my age interested in these cars, just not a ton of us.

Daytona R/T SE

I have no kids.

The Ol' lady is an only child.

Everybody else is either dead or I've disowned them.

There is simply nobody to leave them to.

So...

I think I'll wire in a self destruct device that will blow all of mine to hell 60 seconds after I flatline.

TheAutoArchaeologist

People like me.  Who grew up appreciating them and finally will come into money (well not me here) and finally be able to purchase a 69 Charger or such.

So keep them nice guys for us!

RallyeMike

Each successive generation lives more in the "e" world than the real world, and automotive technology is making 60-70s muscle cars look like model T's. The hobby is waning. There will always be a few who have interest.... and they will have a lot of cool, cheap cars to choose from in the future.

It is what it is. When I lose interest or can't physically play with them any more, they will be sold for whatever the market bears at the time. I might park the last one in the living room as a piece of art.

Mike
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

69rtse4spd

Quote from: 69_500 on January 18, 2015, 04:29:32 PM
In 20 years I will be 55 so I will still be in the market for more cars. There are people my age interested in these cars, just not a ton of us.

Well i'm 55 now so in 20 or sooner, look me up. Got to much crap now, need to get rid of the Dart. Might just leave everything in the barns to somebody, that way the wife will not have to deal with it. This thread is depressing, but makes you stop & think. 

69rtse4spd

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on January 18, 2015, 04:31:00 PM
I have no kids.

The Ol' lady is an only child.

Everybody else is either dead or I've disowned them.

There is simply nobody to leave them to.

So...

I think I'll wire in a self destruct device that will blow all of mine to hell 60 seconds after I flatline.

Lucky.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on January 18, 2015, 09:10:05 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on January 18, 2015, 04:29:32 PM

Well i'm 55 now so in 20 or sooner, look me up. Got to much crap now, need to get rid of the Dart. Might just leave everything in the barns to somebody, that way the wife will not have to deal with it. This thread is depressing, but makes you stop & think. 

I have begun selling everything I ever bought and never opened, which is a BUNCH of stuff!!
New, in boxes...  :shruggy:

I don't want to leave this stuff for my family to figure out. I am not sure they'd care to get top dollar, anyways.

For what I've been selling though, I just turned into a new Snowblower, so all is not lost  :Twocents:

stripedelete

Quote from: Devil on January 18, 2015, 05:49:58 PM
People like me.  Who grew up appreciating them and finally will come into money (well not me here) and finally be able to purchase a 69 Charger or such.

So keep them nice guys for us!

:yesnod: :yesnod:

You and the little ones sitting in front of tube right now being mesmerized by the shiny orange flying car (with funny horns).   ............ at a more affordable price.

Here's to it being 40 forty years instead of 20. :cheers:

garner7555

I am 30 now. As of right now I don't want/can't afford a collection. but if they get really cheap then I might buy a collection, even if I'm the only one who thinks they are cool!
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

1974dodgecharger

you can usually tell by the prices going on that the generation is dying off and less and less which means less people are willing to pay millions of dollars for a old car. 

In the end we cant tell who is gonna pay for such olds cars.....like I said in another thread kids these days have the HELLCAT as a poster for a fast car. 

The only thing we have for ourselves is awesome burn outs.....

73rallye440magnum

I am eagerly anticipating the declined interest in muscle cars.

20 years from now puts me at a 46 YO empty nester.

Enjoy them in the meantime and know they will be well tended once you're no longer able to maintain.

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8