News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torsion Bar adjustment ?

Started by 68ChargerJMP, March 25, 2006, 04:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

How much adjustment is there in our torsion bars to either raise or lower the front end? Also, how far can you raise/lower the front without sacrificing ride characteristics?

warlock

I don't know exactly how much adjustment there is. However, I have put big blocks in place of both small blocks and slant sixes and was able to adjust the torsion bars to alignment specs. I never noticed the ride characteristics probably because that is not what I was looking for. If you raise or lower beyond specs, the rest of the alignment will be off unless they are readjusted too.

Silver R/T

can someone post more info on this, I want to lower front end on mine, but not sure how to do it and where nut is that I need to screw whichever way to lower it. And shops around here would charge me a lot most likely just to adjust nut. Id still would have to go in for alignment after its lowered cause it would offset toe
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

golden73

You can get about 3"-3 1/2" of adjustment out of the T-bars... although I forgot which way you have to turn it to raise it, or lower it.

warlock

Turning clockwise raises the height and counterclockwise lowers the height. They are located near the lower control arm, inboard from the shocks.
If you lowered the height and then took it to an alignment shop, they would reset the height as part of the alignment. If they did not reset the height, they would not do the alignment for liability reasons.
I have never lowered my height, but if I were to do so, I would turn my camber out as far as it would go and then lower the height till I my camber was in alignment specs, and not touch my caster. Otherwise I would be fearful of bad handling. This is only my opinion. I would try to find someone who has done this otherwise.

TylerCharger69

height adjustment  is that bolt  that is on the bottom of the lower control arm....facing upwards.....But...adjusting this  will affect the alignment!!!   The manual  has a measurement on what the adjustment is supposed to be  (from  the control arm  to the floor)   If  you want to lower for cosmetic purposes...I'd spend some cash and go with drop spindles,  and not change too much of the characteristics  of your alignment adjustments.

Chryco Psycho

I tend to disagree , lowering the car straightens the LCA which helps with - camber & the upper control arm also sits at a favorable angle , you need to adjust the toe in after though

Silver R/T

any pics of what the adjustment nut looks like?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TylerCharger69

it's right in the bottom center of the lower control arm...looking at it from underneath

Silver R/T

do you mark them when adjusting to see how many turns you did on each other. How do you know when to stop turning them?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

8WHEELER

It is not a nut, it is the bolt in the center of this picture. Just run the bolt down a couple turns
at a time going from one side then the other. Then push down on the car several times to let
the car settle, but it is best to drive it a bit to let the car settle, then check the height again.
Then after you get the height you are looking for its time for a new alignment.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

68ChargerJMP

Hey 8, you might need to slide that torsion bar boot back down. :icon_smile_wink:

8WHEELER

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on April 29, 2006, 04:08:12 PM
Hey 8, you might need to slide that torsion bar boot back down. :icon_smile_wink:

;D  Yep we were half done at that time, good eye  :icon_smile_big:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Silver R/T

on my left side bolt is farther in than on right side, should they be on the same level?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

whats the limit I can lower it by unscrewing those bolts out?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mikepmcs

:popcrn:

i just took another 3 rounds out, like 10 minutes ago, to lower it some more.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?