News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What was your first car? What happened to it?

Started by 66FBCharger, January 13, 2015, 08:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

As the subject says, What was your first car? How long did you keep it? What did you do with it (sell it, junk it, still have it?)?
I'll start. My first car is a '70 road runner coupe, 440+6, 4 speed. I bought it Junior year of high school when I was 16 years old. I still have the car. It has had a full rotisserie resto. I just recently started reassembly again after it sat for a long period of time.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Shakey

1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - paid $1000.00 for it on my 16th birthday (1985) and drove it for 2 years and sold it for $2,600.00 which I put towards a 1985 Dodge Daytona.

The attached photos (found on the www) are what it looked like (colour & top) only I had the Olds Rallye wheels & Goodyear Eagle ST's which made it look cool!   :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

72 Ford Cortina, it was scrapped and replaced by a 72 Ford Ranchero which was totalled.

6spd68

1988 Ford Thunderbird (early November 2003, 18 years old).  It was a base model 3.8L, which I swapped in a junker 5.0.  The car was stolen from the body shop where I had it painted.
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

70 sublime

My first car was when I was 16 was in 1981 and was a 73 Mercury Capri
Got the car from the local wrecking yard , was the head mechanics car for $800
In the fall of 81 coming home from town one evening (we live in the country) I rolled it over  ::)
There was some black ice on the road and maybe I was screwing around a little too much and it got away from me
Tow truck brought it home and it sat behind the barn for a while till someone bought it for the motor

(72 Ford Cortina, it was scrapped and replaced by a 72 Ford Ranchero which was totalled. )
(we also had an old Cortina around that time for getting the cows from the field with  :2thumbs:)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

myk

First car was a '69 Charger.  It now resides in my avatar and 'sig space on dodgecharger.com...

Dino

'68 Charger, burnt out in my garage when I was at work.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger74

First car was a 73 Charger SE.  Got it Christmas break of 87-88 school year from two houses down from me.  Was the 3rd owner.  First owner was a local cop who bought in the midwest and drove it to Arizona shortly afterward.   Speedo cable broke one day on wife and something about gas pedal stuck as well, she freaked out and they sold the car.  Guy from Kuwait bought from lot and I picked it up from him.   Drove that thing for years and years.  Parked it before I moved to Oregon and then drove it again in the early 2000s for about a year or so when I repo'ed a truck from an ex-girlfriend.   

Had to sell it last year finally (sad day for me). Went to some GM dude who thought he could rebuild it.  Turns out he was just a flipper.  Guy traded to another ex-member here and he is actually doing some things to it that it deserves.     

Road Dog

First car is in my Avatar. That pic is from 1978. Still have and drive the car.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

Ponch ®

'87 Sentra XE (the "sporty" one). Bought it from an aunt for $100. Drove it for about a year and a half. First I crashed it (rear ended a pickup) but it survived. Then I fried the motor trying to drift it (this was before drifiting was a thing) in a Kmart parking lot. Sold it for $400, so i guess even then I made a profit.

It was one of these, black.

to this day I still have a soft spot for NISMO cars....
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

wingcar

My first car was a 1966 Charger with 383 4-bbl automatic.  (I had seen "Thunder Alley" and figured I could build it to match the movie car...*I was young and didn't know any better!)  It was red with red interior and it was complete and just need some TLC on the body.  I purchased it from a used car lot for $500.00 and I still remember how nervous I was carrying the $500 in cash to the dealer, it felt like the National Treasury was in my pocket.  My father and I did the body work and I had the car repainted, then put Keystones on it...it looked sharp.  I traded it in for a 1969 RT/SE Charger with a 440 that was sitting on the used car lot side of Downey Dodge within a year.......
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

ODZKing

Mine was a 73 Charger SE, 318, brand new purchased in April 73.
I was stupid enough to drive it in 2 Syracuse winters and that was enough. It rotted away, badly by 1981 and I sold it to a neighbor across the street who proceeded to destroy what was left.  :rotz:

timmycharger

Got my mother's hand me down 1981 Chevy Chevette 4spd, 4cyl.  I beat the living hell out of that car and eventually blew the motor up and the car was totalled.  Still have the emblem and keys as wall art for my garage!

polywideblock

xb panel van ( file photo's   mines the white one   )  ,traded on my first aussie gm muscle car  a LH SLR 5000  Torana   

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

hemi71x

First car was a 1965 Chevy Impala 2 door, 283 Automatic.
Sold it off when i ordered a 71 Cuda.

What happened to the Impala, i haven't a clue, as i joined the USAF, and left the city, and never went back.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

Stegs

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 reg cab/short box

drove it all thru high school and 1 year after high school

bought a jeep xj to drive every day and restored my truck...

Now it sits in my barn under a cover, right next to my charger which is also under a cover.

John_Kunkel

'51 Olds 88 2-dr Hdtp....no idea what happened to it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RDC

Mine was  72 Chevelle. Drove the snot out of it as any 16 year old who thinks hes bullet proof would, after 2 years sold it to buy an Aspen R/T. Don't know if that was a smart move but I loved both cars.

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

fizz

56 dodge royal lancer. Put in a Desoto 383 and 4 speed from road runner. Painted it ford midnight blue with silver flames with red pinstrip. Volkswagon buckets and blue velvet upholstery(made from bedspreads) and blue fake fur headliner. Still parked in my dads barn. Went and looke at first time in twenty years. Still stuff in it where I left it in 77

oldgold69

first one I bought was a 63 sport fury     

TruckDriver

1967 Chevy Bel-Air 4 door. Had a 283 2spd transmission. Drove it for 2 years or so, sold it for a '73 Mustang Grande.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

68X426

First one was a 1968 Charger, green on green on green.  Or was it green on green on green?  One day I hope to find pictures.

$700 in 1973 with 95,000 miles on it.  With an indestructible 318 that got me to around 230,000 miles. 

Sold it for $800 in 1979 when living in Ventura County.

It's still used today as mule in the drug trades with Mexico.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

DC_1

69 Charger. I bought it for $400 when I was 15 years old in 1983. Put a set of fenders on it since they were rotting and I patched the trunk floor with a section of a old water heater I had in the back yard.

Someone hit it while I was sitting in front of my house waiting to turn into the driveway. Clipped my front end and bent the frame on one side and tweaked the cowl area. I junked the car.......Lookng back it was actually pretty solid other then a few sheet metal areas I repaired - by today's standard it would have been a easy fix.....meh, who knew!

cdr

1st car was a black 68 charger 383 h code,fake R/T, I was 13 years old, traded my 10 speed bike for it, the right torsion bar was pulled out & someone had beat the crap out of the hex in the cross member, i did not know how to fix it,  i did rebuild the avs carb & got the thing running, then sold it.this was in 1976.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr