News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trusting your car to the man

Started by dkn1997, March 25, 2006, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Manifolds  on, made appointment w/exhaust shop to connect existing system (made for headers by them a few years ago, still mint, no rust) to the manifolds.

Now to borrow a trailer to get it there.  This is the part I hate.  I have no problem trailering it there, but I don't want them starting it until the exhaust is done, don't want to burn anything up with open manifolds.  so it's going to be a bit of a F#$% story, but it should be worth it in the end.

the other reason I don't want them starting it is that it hasn't ran in months and I took a whole shitload of stuff apart while i was under there.  it's all back together now, but I don't want the first "fire up" to be at his shop in case it decides to puke some fluids  out on the maiden voyage.

several potential leak areas:
1. tranny (took dipstick out to get headers out)
2. valve covers. (swapped out sheet metal ones for stock ones)
3. steering (new firm feel box)
4. heads (antifreeze from studs, put new ones in)

I am probably just being paranoid, but I just don't like taking it to the man for anything.  But I learned a long time ago that exhaust is not a do it at home job unless you have a torch, welder, and can get it up real high.  the good news is that I have an appointment and will be able to wait there while they do it, so no joyrides for them.  also, I can get a friend to come to help me push it anywhere they want.....
RECHRGED

rt green

third string oil changer

BigBlockSam

take the rotor out of the distributor. problem solved. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

limey

Great idea, take the coil off too...then they have NO chance!
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

dkn1997

I wil be there the whole time, so I guess I should not worry.  about 5 years ago, I dropped it off for a wheel alignment near where i worked.  I was doing a service call outside at a house near the shop and I actually saw them test driving the car.  He was driving very slow and I was impressed. he had no way of knowing I was going to be in the area.
RECHRGED

Steve P.

Now that wasn't a proper test drive... A proper test drive would have included a full 1/4 mile run from launch to shut down.

You want to know your alignment is good for the drags, don't you?? :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dkn1997

true.  but they will get a second chance in a couple of weeks because I just changed my steering box :rant:
RECHRGED

Mike DC

Quoteabout 5 years ago, I dropped it off for a wheel alignment near where i worked.  I was doing a service call outside at a house near the shop and I actually saw them test driving the car.  He was driving very slow and I was impressed. he had no way of knowing I was going to be in the area.

You're lucky on that one.

I once read an article on a factory Hemi Challenger.  The owner hadn't ever beaten on the car at all, and the 426 motor should've survived to the present day on without ever having been apart.  But it didn't.  Years ago he took it to a shop for a brake job, and when he got the car back the Hemi had a spun main bearing. 

Silver R/T

I usually research a shop where I take my Charger too. I only go where people recommend
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerAndy

DKN,
    I wish you luck with the "Man". I'll be in the same boat in a couple months when I change my headers for manifolds, have it flat bedded to the shop and have them alter the exhaust to connect up. I have the manifolds, but Im stalled on the exhaust tips.... mine are incorrect and I would like to go to factory stock but Im not sure how that will work with my over sized and relatively new exhaust. Either way I too will be hanging around the shop while they work on it when the day comes. I took it to a brake place and did the same thing.... watched it like a hawk. Good luck, Andy :icon_smile_cool: