News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

who makes a nice 528ci Hemi?

Started by MxRacer855, January 02, 2015, 09:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

I'm getting close to that point where I need to pick something out.

I know people have mentioned Indy Cylinder Heads, but I cannot find anything listed for them as far as a 528ci Hemi, and have heard a lot of negative things about them lately.
Ray Barton makes nice ones, but that's top dollar right there.

Just trying to see what my options are. those are really the only two that I know of.

Jeff

Charger-Bodie

Tim Banning at FHO ( For Hemis Only) in Canada gets my vote hands down.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

fy469rtse

I was hoping Ron or challenger340 would have seen the new edelbrock hemi heads and piped in on here ,
Are they the eqivilent of victors for a hemi ? ,
I'm considering them for my hemi build , have a look at them , would like to see your opinion on them guy's

MxRacer855

I'm checking all of them out guys!

Thanks for a steer in he right direction!

Challenger340

Yep,
call Tim Banning at FHO in Bewdley Ontario Canada (say Bob @ rmp in British Columbia says hello)

It will take some time, Tim is ALWAYS way behind(same as anybody else any good),
but well worth the wait...
and his own CNC programmed HEMI Heads are second to none !

And on the upside the Canadian Dollar is waaay down versus the U.S. $... might be change in your pocket ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

MxRacer855

Thanks Bob! Any idea (ballpark) what I'll be paying for something like that? Just a number...

They don't have prices listed.

Jeff

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 03, 2015, 06:55:17 PM
Thanks Bob! Any idea (ballpark) what I'll be paying for something like that? Just a number...

Jeff

I bought a 528 aluminum head iron block dual quads dynoed out the door for 20k ,but that was 5 years ago.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

MxRacer855

that's pretty much what I was expecting to here.

I shot FHO an email and will wait until they get back to me. I guess it's hard to put a price on quality, right?

Daytona R/T SE

No cast iron blocks are currently available.

When I spoke to Tim at FHO ( Very helpful by the way :2thumbs:) he said the only option was an all-aluminum engine.

He said you might as well go with 572 ci.

He then said you're lookin' at $29,000. :faint:

This was back in April or May, I think.

I doubt things have gotten any cheaper in the mean time. :Twocents:

Mike DC

The alloy blocks are like $2500 more than the iron ones.  The 572 engine's 4.5" bore size is pretty common too.  How does all this add up to an extra $10k?  

Quite a few guys in the hobby are running around with 500" aluminum-head wedges that didn't cost $10k total.  

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 04, 2015, 12:42:25 AM
The alloy blocks are like $2500 more than the iron ones.  The 572 engine's 4.5" bore size is pretty common too.  How does all this add up to an extra $10k?  

You'd have to ask the guy that quoted me that price.

He didn't stutter.

I asked him to repeat himself.

He also confirmed that was in American $.

I'll bet he sells every one he can build. :Twocents:

MxRacer855

Thanks for all of the info guys. Definitely a pretty penny no matter what.

Challenger340

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 03, 2015, 06:55:17 PM

Jeff

Yeah, about $30-$35K Ballpark ?...  for KB Water Block and Stage V Heads all said and done, 572 inch.
Higher, or lower, depending upon how the final product gets configured with options.
remember,
The sky's the limit with that stuff.... you can configure in a pretty "docile" street trim at 700hp, go more "pro-Street" to about 800-900hp still on 91 Octane, or get really nasty for Racing on better Fuel above 1,000 hp still with Carbs.

On another note;
that's why we used to feel the Mopar crate Engines were such great value ?  NOT as "drop-ins"
but rather,
as a Parts Package "Bin" that a guy could buy for very reasonable.... and rework
* Block
* Crank
* decent Rods & Pistons
* Aluminum Heads, etc., etc.
which we would immediately dis-assemble and rework into something much better !

They were machined like garbage... maybe better now ? I dunno ? some are... some are NOT
so we'd take them apart, fix stuff, Port the Heads, change Camshaft, yada, yada, and PRESTO ! plus 700HP 528 HEMI instead of the advertised 640hp(actually about 610hp).
But "ours" didn't use Oil, run HOT or have any of the other issues that have plagued the Mopar crates.

Off Topic here....
How come guys will typically spend $20-$30-$40-$50-$60K "restoring" a Body, with NO short-cuts accepted ! 
But typically when it comes time for the Engine....
what they "want" is so subjected to the cheapest way possible genre, no matter if rife with pitfalls ?

Would any of you accept a quarter panel installed with only "half" the spot welds during your restoration if it was cheaper ?
You would never see it once completed ?
It "Looks" the same right ?

With Engines.... you get what you pay for.
Just say'in.... "cost" is a factor with everything, but with Engines, remember .... "reputation, reputation, reputation".... then "cost" !

Mike DC

Bad bodywork has a tendency to spread damage way beyond the area where the corner is cut.  It is harder to ever repair quite correctly once the damage is done.  It can ruin the whole car.  

No matter how much work an engine needs, it won't go past the bolt-on parts.  Parts that have never been too hard to find replacements for.  

firefighter3931

FHO is a first class operation. I've been to Tim's shop and it is impressive.  :2thumbs: He has his own 5 axis CNC machine and multiple programs available for different levels of portwork. Last time I was there... there was no less than a dozen completed stroker Hemi engines ready for shipment around the world ; North America, Europe and even one to Asia.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

I see a lot of bodywork shortcuts out there too.  Perhaps a better question might be do the guys that insist on perfect bodywork accept drivetrain shortcuts? 

werner

Bought a crate Hemi few years back, Ray barton built now. Years ago with all the issues was when Cummins (Yes the same guys that build Diesels) were assembling in Toronto Canada. Lots of stuff cast in Mexico, had huge issues with blocks, heads etc

Mine has been turn key 4 years now, Onlt issue I had was the POS chrome mopar water neck leaking. Tried everything to stop it. Came to this forum ad everyone told me to throw it in garbage. Installed billet aluminum and never looked back
FHO top notch builder and since I was already stretched for $$$ was out of my reach. I got cost on enginbe for $15,700 + taxes Canadian
Going to install roller cam this year and a 2x4 manifold
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Charger-Bodie

Cummins reman built the hemi crates. Totally different than the cummins engine build plant

Rolling_Thunder

FHO is top notch...    I had a 528" INDY crate engine almost grenade because of their roller rockers coming apart...    granted they were awesome when it came to customer service and replaced all parts that were even questionable. Rest of the engine was strong and awesome - it was just a problem with their roller rockers.  :Twocents:   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

MxRacer855

In the beginning, I was going to go with an Indy Cylinder Heads crate motor... but lately I've been hearing a lot of very negative stuff about them, and so much great stuff about FHO (thanks to you guys).

Challenger340 - it definitely sounds like you are exceptionally gifted in this department (hence every members hit towards you). I trust everyone on here and would like to say that if it wasn't for you already mentioning that you were busy beyond busy... I would certainly love to talk to you about building me a motor!  :2thumbs: Based on your hands being full indefinitely, I guess FHO is another great option to pursue. it sounds a lot better then some of the horror stories I've been hearing about Indy stuff... :shruggy:

Jeff

Challenger340

Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 06, 2015, 08:03:45 PM
In the beginning, I was going to go with an Indy Cylinder Heads crate motor... but lately I've been hearing a lot of very negative stuff about them, and so much great stuff about FHO (thanks to you guys).

Challenger340 - it definitely sounds like you are exceptionally gifted in this department (hence every members hit towards you). I trust everyone on here and would like to say that if it wasn't for you already mentioning that you were busy beyond busy... I would certainly love to talk to you about building me a motor!  :2thumbs: Based on your hands being full indefinitely, I guess FHO is another great option to pursue. it sounds a lot better then some of the horror stories I've been hearing about Indy stuff... :shruggy:

Jeff

Thanks for the kind words Jeff.
Tim at FHO builds a FINE Hemi Engine.... you can deal in confidence, and I am positive you will be very happy with the end result :2thumbs:

werner

One thing Tim (FHO) mentioned to me is he prefers the 540 over 528 due to lighter pistons etc, ie faster reving. But I guess if there is a shortage of blocks then I guess a 572 would be it. My motto bigger is always better.
Tim built a friends 416 small block for a Cuda, few years back. MAde near 500 hp pump fuel is is builit proof. He said Tim was a great guy to deal with

As Charger Bodie stated it was Cummins "reman" that build Hemis>
The day I toured plant they were rebuild a large run of VW pancake 4cyl. for the Mexicam market.
Was surprised how Mickey Mouse the Hemis were assembled and how dirty the facility was.
Short block came in assembled from some where else. They were actually doing the machining on the heads on a production CNC machine
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

Charger-Bodie

When I had mine built my main constraint was that it not have external oiling . Tim delivered and it was a d is an animal .

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on January 06, 2015, 09:01:30 AM
I see a lot of bodywork shortcuts out there too.  Perhaps a better question might be do the guys that insist on perfect bodywork accept drivetrain shortcuts? 

I would guess that many Mopar owners are about "show" rather than "go."  Most of us would be content to trailer our trophy whore/queen to the show and shines collecting trophies.  When you look at it that way, it isn't a problem if the motor and other mechanicals are half-assed and not living up to its potential.  Because....it's never going to see any REAL miles anyway, let alone banzai runs burying it's 'tach needle into the red.  As long as the body and paint are pretty enough, perfect enough, dazzles enough to show off that's just fine for most vintage car owners.

Personally, I believe in a sound frame and a solid, straight body, but as for paint?  Not that important to me.   Point me to the closest Maaco.  The drivetrain, mechanicals, electrics and all that should be bullet proof and 'DD reliable but I bet I'm in the minority in that regard...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

MxRacer855

Quote from: Challenger340 on January 07, 2015, 06:30:40 AM
Quote from: MxRacer855 on January 06, 2015, 08:03:45 PM

Jeff

Thanks for the kind words Jeff.
Tim at FHO builds a FINE Hemi Engine.... you can deal in confidence, and I am positive you will be very happy with the end result :2thumbs:

You're very welcome! Again, with your advice... Tim will be the first man I talk to when it comes time to pull the trigger on a motor.  :cheers: