News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Six callers ahead of us Jimmy......

Started by Cooter, January 02, 2015, 12:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Well, after 30 years with State Farm Ins.Co. they cancelled on my Dart.($30k NOT ONE DAMN CLAIM)
they had it listed as principle driver. (I drive it Less than 400 miles/year).
I decided to get it covered under antique where it should be.
said because of photos, that my car was "used for racing" and they couldn't insure it after insuring it since 1997. Makes me wonder if I had made a claim and gotten rearended, would they simply refuse to pay and cancel on the spot??
Said the "equipment" on car deemed it a "race car". ( roll cage= SAFER, big tires in back and hood scoop)

Gave me some bullsh*t story bout some dumbass in Tenn. In a parade with a car "equipped like mine", that owner gunned motor and it slipped in gear and killed 3 people.
ok, so if a STOCK Honda was to do basically the same thing, you are gonna cancel on all STOCK HONDAS???

What about the General Lee???? Hell, it's got a roll cage, AND numbers on both doors. You gonna cancel on that too???

What bout big ol jacked up trucks??? Big tires, roll bars. I mean, by the clearly biased way of thinking, you're gonna cancel on those too?????

State Farm is NOT a good neighbor, you are NOT in good hAnds with Allstate, and Nationwide is NOT on your side. BEWARE  gentlemen....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

Most insurance companies have different policies for stock and modified....yours just took longer to catch you than some others might. Your mods wouldn't qualify it for "antique" either.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69wannabe

Good luck in your search for a decent insurance company!!! When my daughter started driving the place where I had my homeowners and at the time one vehicle covered Farm bureau which is georgia only I think wanted $642 just for liability to cover a 98 jeep grand cherokee for six months. I understand she was only sixteen and new to driving but really?? I found some other insurance across town that was still kinda high but quite a big difference. $425 vs $642. And after the first six months of her driving it went down to $125 for the next six months. Cancelled farm bureau and took my business elsewhere. Insurance is not what it used to be!!

Aero426

Quote from: Cooter on January 02, 2015, 12:44:54 PM

Gave me some bullsh*t story bout some dumbass in Tenn. In a parade with a car "equipped like mine", that owner gunned motor and it slipped in gear and killed 3 people.
ok, so if a STOCK Honda was to do basically the same thing, you are gonna cancel on all STOCK HONDAS???

Shame they told you that your car was equipped like a Pro Modified car.    That was the Troy Critchley deal.  

A383Wing

moparnation74

State farm is one of the highest rates out there.  Especially, for homeowners policies.  I had them for over 15yrs.  The straw that broke the camels back was when a claim came into play.  My wife got into a little parking lot fender bender.  The overall result was a 50/50 split.  Which at the time I was told there will be no increase on my rate.  The "key" was at that time.  The end result was a significant increase in my rate upon renewal 6 months later.  I dumped them the same day I got the renewal notice.

Today, the insurance game is to routinely switch for the best rates.

Ponch ®

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 02, 2015, 03:08:10 PM
State farm is one of the highest rates out there.  Especially, for homeowners policies.  I had them for over 15yrs.  The straw that broke the camels back was when a claim came into play.  My wife got into a little parking lot fender bender.  The overall result was a 50/50 split.  Which at the time I was told there will be no increase on my rate.  The "key" was at that time.  The end result was a significant increase in my rate upon renewal 6 months later.  I dumped them the same day I got the renewal notice.

Today, the insurance game is to routinely switch for the best rates.

I have insured my daily drivers and kept renters insurance through them for almost 9 years;  and the Satellite since I got it 2 years ago (agreed value deal). I'd say I'm content with them, and they've come through with two fairly big accident claims (one myself, one the wife, both our fault). I did recently submit a claim when the Challenger got hit in parking lot and the amount of damage / expensive repair cost made it necessary to go through them rather than fix it myself. They assured me my rates wouldn't go up since it wasn't my fault, but I will be keeping an eye on it when my renewal comes up in a few months.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bill440rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 02, 2015, 01:40:37 PM

Most insurance companies have different policies for stock and modified....yours just took longer to catch you than some others might. Your mods wouldn't qualify it for "antique" either.

This is true, especially regarding classic/antique insurance companies.
Most "regular" insurance companies will not insure a vehicle built for the purpose of racing (on track, off road, etc). If you are involved in a loss during racing (i.e. slam into the wall going down the drag strip), there is no coverage and your claim will be denied. If their underwriting dept discovers racing modifications were performed without notifying the insurance company there may be coverage issues as well.
The insurance company can decide whether they want to insure you or not, for liability reasons.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

skip68

We're shopping for insurance soon.   Been with state farm for a couple years now and not liking the motorcycle quote.   Ridiculously higher than others and adding my son is a killer.   Even though I have a clean record and have never filed a claim and no accidents.   Insurance has become a joke.   Never ever ever go to state farm for motorcycle insurance.   Shop around.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ponch ®

Quote from: bill440rt on January 02, 2015, 04:55:02 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 02, 2015, 01:40:37 PM

This is true, especially regarding classic/antique insurance companies.
Most "regular" insurance companies will not insure a vehicle built for the purpose of racing (on track, off road, etc). If you are involved in a loss during racing (i.e. slam into the wall going down the drag strip), there is no coverage and your claim will be denied. If their underwriting dept discovers racing modifications were performed without notifying the insurance company there may be coverage issues as well.
The insurance company can decide whether they want to insure you or not, for liability reasons.

It also varies by state.

In CA, racing or any semblance of it is a big no-no when it comes to insurance. The "local" half mile NASCAR track (Irwindale Speedway) does a thing where they let car clubs come to the track, display their cars in a "show" area by the grandstands, and take the cars around the track for a parade lap or two before Saturday night races. Emphasis on parade lap. When I did it with the LX club, we were warned several times by the track staff not to do anything stupid during the parade lap because, as the guy put it, the moment your tires touch the track surface, your insurance is invalid til you get off of it and you're liable for whatever happens.

Of course, people did do stupid stuff (one guy did donuts and almost hit the emergency crew, another decided to go high on the track and gun it, almost slammed into the back of another guy who had no way of knowing this guy was coming at 100 mph) and we were told wouldnt be welcome back.  :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

myk

Quote from: skip68 on January 02, 2015, 04:59:22 PM
We're shopping for insurance soon.   Been with state farm for a couple years now and not liking the motorcycle quote.   Ridiculously higher than others and adding my son is a killer.   Even though I have a clean record and have never filed a claim and no accidents.   Insurance has become a joke.   Never ever ever go to state farm for motorcycle insurance.   Shop around.  

I've had State Farm in the past.  I asked about their pricing and they were rather proud of their prices, saying "we might be the most expensive, but when it comes time to a claim you can guarantee that you will be taken care of.  Can the others say the same?" 

Fast forward to now and I'm with AAA who is cheaper but has the same flippant attitude about their prices and their promises of coverage.  Now, AAA has been exemplary in my dealings with them, but businesses have become much more guarded and greedy since the downturn of the economy, so who's to say that they or any other company will actually try to be helpful when and if the time comes for money to be on the line? 

Bottom line is I don't trust any insurance company, be it an established firm like State Farm or some fly-by-nighter like Survival for the multiple DUI giggly college girls who can't get insured anywhere else.  If an insurance company wanted to weasel out of a claim or minimize the return to a client, I'm sure they could do it rather easily if they tried to...

ws23rt

Quote from: myk on January 02, 2015, 05:31:50 PM

I've had State Farm in the past.  I asked about their pricing and they were rather proud of their prices, saying "we might be the most expensive, but when it comes time to a claim you can guarantee that you will be taken care of.  Can the others say the same?"  

Fast forward to now and I'm with AAA who is cheaper but has the same flippant attitude about their prices and their promises of coverage.  Now, AAA has been exemplary in my dealings with them, but businesses have become much more guarded and greedy since the downturn of the economy, so who's to say that they or any other company will actually try to be helpful when and if the time comes for money to be on the line?  

Bottom line is I don't trust any insurance company, be it an established firm like State Farm or some fly-by-nighter like Survival for the multiple DUI giggly college girls who can't get insured anywhere else.  If an insurance company wanted to weasel out of a claim or minimize the return to a client, I'm sure they could do it rather easily if they tried to...

I agree with this. :2thumbs:  Insurance company's may keep their name but they do change leadership and employees. They all play the same game and I'm sure people in these company's move from one company to another.
The up side for us is the competition they have with one another.

It is good advice to anyone to reevaluate insurance coverage for anything on an annual routine. Things change--times change--everything changes.  If we shop frequently for insurance the industry will continue to seek us that do and give us reason to do so.

They have been living high from the public that allows them to do what they do. :Twocents:

cdr

that sucks COOTER!!! i had a tough time getting my charger insured as a classic cause it is the only car i have.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

stripedelete

If your insurance company advertises on TV, your paying too much, for too little.

Find an independent  agent. :Twocents:

Tilar

This was back in the 90's bit I had State Farm for a lot of years and it finally got too damn expensive. Not a single claim as long as I was with them, close to 20 years. I went to Farmers and got a quote that was less than half what I was paying and when I called the State Farm agent to cancel she said "Why didn't you ask me first? We could have met their price!"  :flame:  :flame:  :flame: I told her she should have met that price before I went shopping for cheaper insurance.  :fu:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Ponch ®

Quote from: myk on January 02, 2015, 05:31:50 PM

I've had State Farm in the past.  I asked about their pricing and they were rather proud of their prices, saying "we might be the most expensive, but when it comes time to a claim you can guarantee that you will be taken care of.  Can the others say the same?" 

Fast forward to now and I'm with AAA who is cheaper but has the same flippant attitude about their prices and their promises of coverage.  Now, AAA has been exemplary in my dealings with them, but businesses have become much more guarded and greedy since the downturn of the economy, so who's to say that they or any other company will actually try to be helpful when and if the time comes for money to be on the line? 

Bottom line is I don't trust any insurance company, be it an established firm like State Farm or some fly-by-nighter like Survival for the multiple DUI giggly college girls who can't get insured anywhere else.  If an insurance company wanted to weasel out of a claim or minimize the return to a client, I'm sure they could do it rather easily if they tried to...

Survival and others of its ilk are actually brokers, all they do is shop YOU around to whichever insurance will take you. I had em in the 90s when i first got my license and didnt know any better.

1974dodgecharger

Insurance are just like a company and dont give a rats ass about it.  They will deny a claim if they know they will make cash or lose from it.  Thats what i was told from a friend as a insurance adjuster for a major company......

Ghoste

Car insurance is the greatest scam going.  If you choose to drive, you are legally bound to purchase something they are not legally bound to provide.  And yes, the adjusters entire purpose is to reduce the amount of or outright deny any claim you make.   I also love the fact that if you do have a claim, they typically raise your rates and they stay that way until your claim is paid off.  Its like paying for the privilege to apply for a loan.  If you question it, they will tell that scientific algorithms and carefully administered actuarial indicate that you are now a "risk".  Wait a minute, wasn't I always a risk, isn't that why you charge me up front, isn't that why your policy is frequently called RISK coverage?  And how many people do you actually know that after they have a claim, they then go on to continue that bit of joy?  If I have an accident in my car, your actuarial algorithms indicate I will do it over and over again unless you punish me financially but most people don't have a car accident so if I have one shouldn't my rates go down?  The odds are now that I'm one accident over I will never have another.
:brickwall: :RantExplode: :brickwall: :flame: :brickwall: :slap: :brickwall: :eek2: :brickwall: ::) :brickwall:

RallyeMike

I'm not sure "scam" is fair. If you've ever been in the position where insurance was needed and saved your ass, your opinion changes quickly. "Slimy weasels" however, is still appropriate  :-\

:down: Farmers: They cancelled me in the late 80's due to "The performance capabilities of your Charger". It was just a letter in the mail right out of the blue. WTF?! The cars was totally stock (unless you count police wheels :coocoo: ), & no tickets or accidents caused it. It's real fun to shop for insurance when you have been cancelled.

I saved the letter as proof of how bad ass my car was, and to never send any business to Farmers again.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

The70RT

Hagarty cost me like 450 a year for one car at 30K and one at 15K.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cooter

Thanks CDR. When State Farm offered antique coverage I wasb trying like hell not to have to make out checks to four different companies, just one. I find it funny that since I posted on FB, I seem to be getting trolls that think it's 'cute' to post remarks like "hey dumbass, I've known bout this for years. This is why there's Grundy/Hagerty"...

One would think that if a "pro mod" killed three at a parade, say it was a stock Camaro?? They gonna cancel on all vehicles because of 'potential' liability?

I still call B.S. because after my track record, I'm an insurer's dream. No claims, just a "tax" for 30 years to drive my cars. Ok, maybe I was a little naive in thinking as a dream customer, I'd be taken care of, or at least told about certain restrictions dealing with S.F. antique coverage. Instead, I was repeatedly asked to 'bundle' which I did.

No problem, as long as I don't hafta send anymore money to them, I'm happy.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Others may chime in, but might I humbly suggest looking into American Collector's for antique/classic insurance.  :yesnod:
I've had them for years, had to file two claims with them, rates never went up. (Only if "agreed value" changed did the rates change, but that was my doing.)
Other members here have A.C. as well, with good feedback.
Good luck.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Finding a company that combines complete classic car insurance, with the ability to go "on track" is tough.

I contacted Hagerty and they won't cover any track use, no ifs... ands... or buts.  Apparently driving a restored muscle car down a 1/4 mile track is an enormous risk?  :shruggy:   From my experience more bad stuff can happen on the road with all the other "a-holes" out there.  :brickwall:

I can understand the insurance companies issues in Cooter's case. His car would be mainly considered a drag race car.

For the majority of us who own regular cars, we shouldn't have to be left uninsured for the occasional time we (might) use our cars on the drag-strip....if ever.

Ghoste

No one covers track use that I have ever heard of.  Hell, the tracks don't even cover track use, you sign a waiver before you enter the pits.

John_Kunkel

IMO, if you have a "specialty car" you need an insurance company that clearly defines what they'll accept in the way of mods. Hagerty ain't cheap but they have categories for just about everything and they take care of claims. (did for me anyhow)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.