News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is Hammtrack building standing?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, December 30, 2014, 07:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 08, 2015, 07:31:32 PM
Count me in!  I'll make sure I'll also have the company of a small diameter friend very familiar in the metric system.  :icon_smile_wink:

Not that familiar.

chargd72

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 31, 2014, 02:50:03 AM
I hang out in Detroit all the time. But, Would not recommend it. LEON.

I come back to Detroit every year for a Tiger's game and I've been inside and to the roof of this old train station.  It's pretty cool but would not go back.  Lot's of abandoned buildings are becoming a popular site for tourists and police are starting to charge people for trespassing. 

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Ghoste

You're the first one I know of that's been inside there.

71 SE3834V

My daughter did a photo shoot there.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

charge69

To 71 SE3834V:  Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  No, I don't remember the street they lived on.  I remember they first lived in a condo and I visited there twice. Then, they bought a home but sold it within 2 years and moved to Mandeville La.

Both times I visited was around the Christmas holidays and it was around 10* and up to your azz in snow!  Coming back to SE Texas was wonderful! Ha! A few moves later for them and they ended up in San Antonio about 10 years ago and love it there. Ironically, he is in the car business (owns 3 note-lots) and she is a Nurse-Practitioner with a PhD. in nursing.  They do a LOT better than I ever did or will financially!

Mr. Lee

charge69

Mr. Lee

Quote from: charge69 on January 10, 2015, 02:37:42 PM
Awesome pictures, Mr. Lee   !!!

Indeed they are!

A lot of these pics where made in 1980 when it wasn't operational anymore but great to see how it was inside  :2thumbs:

charge69

It is interesting to see the pictures where my Charger was assembled!

Mr. Lee

Quote from: charge69 on January 10, 2015, 02:47:25 PM
It is interesting to see the pictures where my Charger was assembled!

Can you imagine it hanging there like the Dart? Great!

chargd72

Quote from: Ghoste on January 09, 2015, 07:36:55 PM
You're the first one I know of that's been inside there.

Here's from inside the atrium and on the roof.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

fy469rtse

great photo's thanks for sharing,
i too loved seeing where my cars were born  :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

Pic of it from Behind. LEON.

1974dodgecharger

WOW, very cool.....I wonder if I can drive there and take a quick pic in the same position this was taken.  :icon_smile_big:

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 12, 2015, 08:47:06 PM
WOW, very cool.....I wonder if I can drive there and take a quick pic in the same position this was taken.  :icon_smile_big:

If I did I'm sure you can too. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Some Interesting houes in Detroit. Here's the Purple Gangs house from the 1920's, Back when they did Business with Al Capone & was suspected of being the out of towners that did the St. Valantines Hit.  :scratchchin: LEON.

stripedelete

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 12, 2015, 10:29:37 PM
Some Interesting houes in Detroit. Here's the Purple Gangs house from the 1920's, Back when they did Business with Al Capone & was suspected of being the out of towners that did the St. Valantines Hit.  :scratchchin: LEON.

A boat house?  In the 20's?  Wonder what they used that for?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 12, 2015, 10:15:24 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 12, 2015, 08:47:06 PM

If I did I'm sure you can too. LEON.

Im gonna have to get the address here for the summer when I visit.....

1974dodgecharger

That is BEUTIFUL!!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Quote from: stripedelete on January 12, 2015, 10:53:49 PM

A boat house?  In the 20's?  Wonder what they used that for?

It was likely so they could sit there in the evening and look across the river to Canada and admire the lights on top of the Hiram Walker distillery where the Canadian Club whiskey was being made.  It's very pretty at night.

Shakey

About 15 years ago I was in the neighbourhood visiting a potential customer and we went for lunch at a Polish restaurant in the area.  If anyone is going back for a visit I highly recommend stopping in for lunch.  The food and the portions were amazing!  Little family run place set among the houses on the street - really great place!

moparnation74

I would like to thanks all for the posted pics! :2thumbs:

Keep em coming

hemi-hampton

Quote from: stripedelete on January 12, 2015, 10:53:49 PM
Some Interesting houes in Detroit. Here's the Purple Gangs house from the 1920's, Back when they did Business with Al Capone & was suspected of being the out of towners that did the St. Valantines Hit.  :scratchchin: LEON.

A boat house?  In the 20's?  Wonder what they used that for?

From my Vantage point across the canal if I was to look to my right the Detroit River was right there & across the river was Canada. I remember the first thought that came to mind was how easy it would have been to bootleg Liquor across the river & into there boathouse under there house. Kinda felt like I went back in time to the 20's imagining it. Where I was standing across canal was a underground tunnel. Probably used to hide there contraband. LEON.

P.S. Pic of part of tunnel below.

stripedelete

Cool stuff.  Does the tunnel go down to the canal?  Could it have been a way to move it instead of stash it.  People were smaller back then, and, the tunnel could be silted in.

Where I live in Ohio, there is supposed to be a sealed tunnel from the river under the road and up into a old brass factory.  It is rumored to have been busy during prohibition.  Lots of product came straight across from Canada (40 miles) or hopped across via the Lake Erie Isands.

Chris Craft was up in your neck of the woods building go-fasters for the rum runners in one side of the plant, while building go-fasters for the authorities in the other side.

Lots of great history there.  Thanks for the photos.