News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My '68 Charger resto/build!

Started by MxRacer855, December 07, 2014, 05:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Where did you end up getting all your parts from??  Were they Goodmark , AMD?? .
Any problems lining everything up??

Looks great ! Good job

MxRacer855

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 20, 2014, 03:48:29 AM
I like how you skip ahead so you don't show any of us guys up with how quick you can work ,
Huh don't want to show off  :lol: good quality work Jeff   :2thumbs:
Another one being saved

:lol:, Fy469rtse, I'll post all of the trunk pics when I get the car back from the body shop in a month (give or take).

The floor pan I went with was a two-piece AMD because we were originally only replacing that and the perches. A full pan wouldn't have fit in the trunk.

We made it look good though!  :2thumbs:

MxRacer855

Quote from: Canadian1968 on December 20, 2014, 12:43:47 PM
Where did you end up getting all your parts from??  Were they Goodmark , AMD?? .
Any problems lining everything up??

Looks great ! Good job

Thanks Canadia1968!  :2thumbs:

Everything was AMD! It all fit amazing. obviously a few things had to be tweaked a little, but I'm assuming that was to match the character of the car.  :lol:

It couldn't have fit better than it did though.  :icon_smile_big:  :2thumbs:

Jeff

MxRacer855

So to finish up the rear end of the car in this post (before I get it back from the body shop and am able to add more), This was a rotted section of the wheel housing that we replaced when we replaced the rear section of the driver side quarter (we ended up replacing the front section as well).

We should have replaced the entire quarter, but we wanted to keep as much of the original metal as possible as long as it was good.  :cheers:

MxRacer855

Now.. onto the Driver side rocker panel.

I noticed how every time we banged into the car, white sand would drop out of this panel...  :scratchchin:

Apparently, when they sandblasted the car during the last resto, nobody bothered cleaning the loose sand out of the car!   :brickwall:

MxRacer855

This section needed some serious work.

MxRacer855

We had to take the opening all of the way to the door jam to see the clean metal at the end of the tunnel!

Everything above the cut was in great shape.

MxRacer855

This is the few grains of sand that fell out while we were removing the compromised metal...  :lol:

MxRacer855

Here's the driver side rocker coming back together. :icon_smile_blackeye:

MxRacer855

MxRacer855

After we fixed the back half of the car, we moved up to the middle.
Looking back, I wish we would have just replaced the entire torsion bar crossmember and the floor pan. We did fix every section that needed to be fixed though.

After the bondo was removed on the cross member (they even had it on the frame  :brickwall:), we were left with this on the passenger side...

MxRacer855

Here's driver side of the torsion bar cross member. As you can see, they were equally bad.

MxRacer855

Here's another view from the driver side.

MxRacer855

This is how we fixed both sides. Just cut the rot out and replace it with thick stuff!  :2thumbs:

MxRacer855

Below view.

MxRacer855

All boxed up.  :yesnod:

MxRacer855

Here's the driver side after we did the same thing.

MxRacer855

Front view.  :icon_smile_big:

MxRacer855

So... now moving onto the problem areas of the floor (since it goes hand in hand with the torsion bar crossmember rebuild).

The floor was in great shape. The only problem spots were where the driver and passengers would put their feet. I'm sure two things contribute to that, wet feet from rain and snow, and the heater core was leaking for a long time (passenger side).

Here's the rear section of the floor.

MxRacer855

Here is the driver side area.

MxRacer855

...and the passenger side. This spot looks visually worse, but it was mostly surface rust. The driver's section was the part that you could see light through like Swiss cheese.

MxRacer855

This is the driver side of the floor removed. We only needed a small patch for this and was able to find that online for less than $100.

MxRacer855

This is the raw patch pan that we used for the driver's section of the floor. I forget the brand... it was an eBay purchase, but it fit perfectly.

MxRacer855

Sorry guys, I thought I had more pics of the process... at least you can see the rest of the driver side quarter panel work, rocker panel, and driver side floor patch in this pic.

This was in June '14

MxRacer855

You can see the driver side floor patch in this pic much better.