News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear end selection

Started by Bulldog69, December 01, 2014, 09:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog69

I'd really like to get the rear end back under the car. I have an 8-3/4, and was going to replace center section and axles.   I really just plan on cruising, but still want some balls on the street.  Does anyone have advice on gear ratio to use? Should I get the sure grip, locker, etc.? Also any experience with a particular vendor would be helpful. I was leaning towards Randy's.

69wannabe

Gearing depends on your driving habit's... if you are going to do alot of longer trip's or highway driving I would recommend a 3.23 with a good sure grip or limited slip differential of good name brand. I tend to like the 3.55's myself and would like to have a 3.91 to stick back there to play with but the 3.55's have been the happy medium gear for me. Had that gear in my car for nearly 10 years now!!! My sure grip is about worn out tho, one of the sure grip unit's is rebuildable but i'm not sure which one is and which one isn't. Mine is a 742 case 8 3/4  :shruggy:

fy469rtse

742 case my favourite , weak point on the 489 is the crush sleeve , no crush sleeve on the 742
68 issue track lock , steel gears ,in tension , under load clamp up with torque, 3.23 3.55 ,good all round for the street
Anything higher wont be any fun if highway driving
69 and later sure grip ok but won't last