News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where do I begin???

Started by fatboy, November 23, 2014, 10:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatboy

I took this car apart 8 years ago for a quick 4 week paint job. After moving 3 times and having it painted a second time and a different color I really don't remember the order I took it apart. Right now the car is totally stripped. I have rebuilt the dash and gauges and the ac/heater box. I have also installed sound deadener in the floors and doors. I now want to install everything back on the firewall, but I'm not sure what order I should proceed. I have a service manual, but it doesn't help a bad memory. What would you guys suggest I install first?

bill440rt

I would start with new insulation on the firewall (available repro), followed by any interior wiring. This includes the dome lamp, backup harness, etc. The dash harness would be installed with the dash as a unit, so leave that off for now.
I would then install any accessories on the firewall that may be tough later with the dash & heater box blocking it: wiper motor & linkage, throttle cable, etc.
Lastly would be the heater box assembly, followed by the dash assembly.

Next would be the headliner. Remember to install the roof insulation & sail panel Charger emblems before the headliner!
Carpet, door panels, kick panels/trim, & seats will finish the interior.

Good luck!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I would go in the same order.

Charger-Bodie

Don't forget to make sure your wiper pivots aren't gonna leak.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

The ideal time to add one of those Schumaker pivot seal kits. :yesnod:

fatboy

thanks for the detailed info Bill440. I have ordered the firewall insulation kit and the paint gasket kit from Detroit Muscle. I will post my progress when I receive the parts.

Dmichels

Yes what everyone said before. You want to work from the inside out/ most buried stuff first. Take your time to figure out where things go first. Plan your moves with all the part in the area. keep a note pad you will need to buy stuff. Get the booster and peddle assembly in early it is tough once things get populated. Headliner before F/R glass. Adjust the side windows, hinges and strikes before door panels.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10