News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sector shaft adjustment

Started by HANDM, November 22, 2014, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

After breaking the shaft on my 97 ram in a minor fender bender, I installed a remanufactured unit from o'reillys.
Upon driving the truck, there was an excessive amount of play in the the wheel. Knowing how to remedy this, I loosen the locknut and proceed to move the adjuster 1/4" at first to no effect then 1/2, nothing then a full inch and finally a full one and a half turns until it finally starts to remove the excessive wheel play. All the while checking for binding, return to center and such. Again, knowing how to do this and why tells me that normally it's just a small adjustment but this time it is severely loose for being a "remanufactured" unit. So loose in fact, there is no effort required to turn the adjuster. I will continue to adjust it tomorrow and see if I can get it a bit closer.

Anyone else have a similar time with a something like this?

rt green

a lot of aftermarket steering gears are horrible. have you heard about the 'wander' fix on dodge trucks?
third string oil changer

HANDM

Quote from: rt green on November 22, 2014, 10:35:05 PM
a lot of aftermarket steering gears are horrible. have you heard about the 'wander' fix on dodge trucks?

Yes, I have seen those but curiously, my truck doesn't wander. Just the sloppy steering