News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cracked the case - PICS

Started by grdprx, November 19, 2014, 11:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

Thanks for the tip.  I think I need to replace the governor housing too, it got some damage.  The rod was wrapped around the speedometer pinion when I pulled that out!  Luckily it wasn't damaged.

grdprx

I was a little surprised that the little weight did all the damage...  But the retaining clip on the larger weight would have been a less likely failure I suppose...

Does the governor housing need to be replaced in your opinion?  How does it come appart?

John_Kunkel

Only way to know if the aluminum housing is damaged it to check for free movement of both the valve (shown in pic #3) and the weight (shown in pic #4). If they both move freely with no binding the damage is merely cosmetic.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fy469rtse

yep ,
cosmetic damage , except where the govenor weights slide,
you might just have to , run a brake hone down there , looks like a couple dags to hang weights up , then your shifts will be up the shit

grdprx

There is definite damage inside the housing of the governor. The rod slammed on the edge inside as it was ripped out.  Looks like  some retaining rings on the tail shaft bearing and more clips on the housing. I'll try and pull my spare and see how it works.

John_Kunkel

Two really beefy snap rings on the bearing (note the direction of the outer snap ring groove) and one on the aluminum housing. Bend the tabs on the four bolts,  remove them and slide the housing back to remove.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

grdprx

Can anyone recommend a good pair of snap ring pliers?  I was hoping to get a pair for Christmas...  Bah-humbug..
Went to HF, junk of course.  Lowes had the same pair.  Got a pair from Sears that have interchangeable handles for inside and outside snap rings, and they keep coming apart!  :brickwall:
I'm fighting to get the Governor off the spare tranny, I can imagine it'll be twice as difficult Win mine hanging under the car.  Need a better tool.