News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column Coupler Differences...

Started by csx4590, November 12, 2014, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx4590

Is there are a difference between the couplers on a non power steering car and a power steering car? My car is a factory power steering car. I know the column we are using is the original one. The guy at the shop just called and said the steering column is "too short" and won't connect to the steering box. Any ideas???

Thanks...

Al

moparnation74

Manual steering has the shorter steering shaft.  That is the difference.  Could be wrong column.  Did they give you an idea how short?  Maybe the coupler needs to slide some.  The other possibility is that the shaft is damaged.  In a front end collision the pins shear and it collapses.  So that way you don't eat the steering shaft.  If not handle properly, they can get messed up.

csx4590

I think he said 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch short. It should be the correct factory column. It was a factory power car and I had the box rebuilt so it should be the same one. I have spoken to someone that also told me about the shaft being pushed in (careless storage etc). If it's only a half inch or so, can you try to pull it back out and use it? I really don't want to have to replace the whole column at this point being fairly close to finishing the car. I appreciate the info guys...

Al

gtx6970

if thats all it's off, pull it down and go on

A383Wing

just tap the center shaft down to connect it. And yes, the stub shaft is different size also

csx4590