News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Six pack carb's made simple

Started by deepockets, October 25, 2014, 08:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepockets

Not!  I didn't have any thing better to do, so I figured I'd put in adjustable air bleeds for the idle circuits. I still haven't figured them out yet, but getting closer. The metering block I bought from pro max just doesn't work. Tried it twice with two different power valves and it just wont rev past 3000 rpm. Put the same power valves in the stock metering plate, and they work great. I drilled out the butterfly's a little too big, and the rpms at 1200 to 1300 is just a tad too high. So I found some countersunk rivets that worked out really nice and set flush to the blades. So now I can play with the bleeds and see how they affect things. At least I'm doing all this on the test stand before it goes in the car. Here's some before, during, and after pictures.

rt green

I hope it works out for you. could you see what pro max was trying to improve on their stuff vs stock?
third string oil changer

deepockets

They had said that they build it to better suit a larger ci engine. When I told him of what was happening, he said he never heard of that. I'm not interested in trying it any more. It has all kinds of little jets in it.

Ghoste

I hope you keep us updated as I'm curious how it all works out.  Most say the best thing to do with the Six Pack is to leave exactly as Chrysler designed it.  :shruggy:

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on October 25, 2014, 11:35:03 PM
I hope you keep us updated as I'm curious how it all works out.  Most say the best thing to do with the Six Pack is to leave exactly as Chrysler designed it.  :shruggy:

:iagree:
I purchased my 6 pac in 1978 from Mancini (back when they were on 6 mile road, and the people that worked there were named.....Mancini).  That 6 pack has been on everything from a 280 hp 383 to 600 hp 500 in motors, and just about everything in-between.  Always runs great, only change the main jetting, and even those don't change much.   :Twocents:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

deepockets

I have a saying that I say to people once and awhile "There's something to be said for leavening things alone"  I  can't always take my own advice and make things complicated. I'll keep you updated as I go.

BSB67

Quote from: deepockets on October 26, 2014, 07:45:38 AM
I have a saying that I say to people once and awhile "There's something to be said for leavening things alone"  I  can't always take my own advice and make things complicated. I'll keep you updated as I go.

I'm not sure what you are trying to fix exactly, but if it is because the motor wont rev over 3000 rpm, this is not your problem.  In fact, it is not a carb problem, unless the outboard carbs are not opening.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Quote from: BSB67 on October 26, 2014, 07:37:13 AM
I purchased my 6 pac in 1978 from Mancini (back when they were on 6 mile road, and the people that worked there were named.....Mancini).  

Yeah, you walk in their showroom now and most of the stuff on display is for Chevy and a little Ford.  Mopar is their mainstay but it sure isn't all they do.
I was there back in that time period a couple of times too, were they on McNicholls for a while?

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on October 26, 2014, 07:59:54 AM
Quote from: BSB67 on October 26, 2014, 07:37:13 AM
I purchased my 6 pac in 1978 from Mancini (back when they were on 6 mile road, and the people that worked there were named.....Mancini).  

Yeah, you walk in their showroom now and most of the stuff on display is for Chevy and a little Ford.  Mopar is their mainstay but it sure isn't all they do.
I was there back in that time period a couple of times too, were they on McNicholls for a while?

Yes, McNichols = 6 Mile Rd.  My old stomping grounds.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Ok.  You aren't in the Detroit area now though are you?

BSB67

No.  Bunch of family still there.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

rt green

well, how did you come out?  did it work?
third string oil changer

68pplcharger

deepockets

I just got thru making a drill fixture to drill and ream some new jets. since I'm experimenting, I bought a few jets that were on the smaller side. carbs are all clean and put back together. I'll have it running again this weekend. I'll give ya heads up on results.

BSB67

Quote from: deepockets on October 30, 2014, 09:12:16 PM
I just got thru making a drill fixture to drill and ream some new jets. since I'm experimenting, I bought a few jets that were on the smaller side. carbs are all clean and put back together. I'll have it running again this weekend. I'll give ya heads up on results.

Are you drilling jets?, or bleeds and/or restrictors?  I would buy the jets the as they are sized by flow rating and not hole size. For bleeds and restrictors, I think you can get blanks from BLP for like 10 cents each.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

deepockets

drilling, then reaming to size. Yes I've read that there flowed. I'm also checking them with pin gages.

rt green

testing. good?  bad?   same?  more adjustable?
third string oil changer

deepockets

Things are looking up. I've got things where I'm happy and need to leave things alone now. When I had the carbs off I set the idle screw to where there was .020 of the transition slot exposed and it idles real nice right there also. Prior to this I could remove the idle screw completely and the idle would not go lower than 1200 to 1300 rpm. That was caused by me enlarging the holes in the outer carbs butterfly's a little too much. As far as the adjustability of the air bleeds, they'll play better part when I put the engine in the car and check the air/fuel ratio when driving. Most of my tuning mistakes were caused from my inexperience with these carbs. I'm not an expert, but know a lot more about these things than before I started.