News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction 69 grills-In stock at classic industries

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, October 25, 2014, 01:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

:2thumbs: thanks for the unwrapping / comparison videos    :cheers: :cheers:   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Lennard

I'm waiting for Ray Yager to reply here when the next batch is going to be for sale. I want/need one... :popcrn:

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 19, 2014, 06:24:41 AM

:Twocents:

Why do I have the feeling that they tooled up a $100,000 item, selling it for $1000 each, and then compromised the end result to save about $10 each on materials? 

Quite possible. If that's the case it's an issue that can easily be resolved. The only question in my mind is regarding the molds they made. Are they standard injection molds? If so, and assuming the warpage is a permanent problem, it boils down to an issue of process and/or materials that can be improved upon. I guess we'll know eventually.

JB400

I'm sure that recipes for plastic may have changed in 40 years and they maybe having a hard time getting similar plastic

Mike DC

Modern steel or wood has gone to shite compared to the old stuff but plastic has gotten better these days.

The original grilles were ABS if I recall correctly.  There's no excuse for getting that mix wrong.  

white

I work in an injection molding company for 22years and plastic can still be curing for up to 3 days or more depending on the material used. Jeff

Ghoste

Surely its more than three days from coming out of the mold to being shipped to Classic and then shipped to the customer though?

bakerhillpins

I suspect he may be suggesting that they are not properly supporting/storing the plastic during those 3 days after and this results in the warping we are seeing, not the fact that it's been boxed up for a week.

Would these even be pre-boxed or would they sit raw on the warehouse shelf?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

375instroke

How do they make these molds?  I understand there is a 3% shrinkage on this type of plastic, so using an original part to make a mold anywhere in the process is out of the question.  Perhaps that's why we hear about repro parts being too small.  What were the grills made out of originally?  I've heard ABS.  Is that what these are?

Mike DC

QuoteI understand there is a 3% shrinkage on this type of plastic, so using an original part to make a mold anywhere in the process is out of the question.  Perhaps that's why we hear about repro parts being too small.

Bingo. 

Charger-Bodie

Everyone's is an expert ,except the people actually making the parts . Come on guys .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 21, 2014, 05:22:54 PM
QuoteI understand there is a 3% shrinkage on this type of plastic, so using an original part to make a mold anywhere in the process is out of the question.  Perhaps that's why we hear about repro parts being too small.

Bingo.  

I heard the shrinkage on plastic repro parts is actually 2.8%. ;D Still, that is much better than somewhere in the 60%-70% shrinkage suffered by guys like George Costanza.

Ghoste

don duick

cant wait to see one fitted the suspense is killing me.

autodynamics

Holy f**k that was  long video, what I come away with from all this is the grill is a good replacement, the lack of attention to the painting is a bummer as well as the pockets of the headlight buckets being silver, all the grills I've has have been black on the back side. The warping I bet will straighten out with the frame in place. Overall it's just like any after market part, it's better than a busted up grill but not as good as original, at first I thought the guys who have original grills would be hurt from the repro however now looking at the diffrences I still think guys would prefer having a original part over a repro any day. And I'm NOT a purist. I personally think 900 is cheap for what it is, and think original grills in perfect shape should fetch double repro.

Overall good part, and like I mentioned having a Oem grill with the Chrysler dodge part numbers is still your best option

Thanks for the vids and feedback

GordonGriggs

My grille showed up at my other house about 3 weeks ago. I finally had a chance to go their and check it out. Im very happy with it. I NEVER thought I would be
so happy with a $800 box of plastic parts.  :icon_smile_big:

lukedukem

Update?
says they are still sold out. wonder what is taking them so long???

Quote from: GordonGriggs on November 28, 2014, 05:39:01 PM
My grille showed up at my other house about 3 weeks ago. I finally had a chance to go their and check it out. Im very happy with it. I NEVER thought I would be
so happy with a $800 box of plastic parts.  :icon_smile_big:

800 bucks, what a deal. mine was 969.99

luke

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

squeakfinder

Just asking. Don't anybody get all afended and such. Do we really know where they are made? China U.S.?
This might explain the delay.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

autodynamics

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

autodynamics

lukedukem

It says made in USA in bold on the website in the description. Would they lie???

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Dino

Quote from: lukedukem on December 01, 2014, 09:11:15 PM
It says made in USA in bold on the website in the description. Would they lie???

Luke

Chrysler boasts imported from Detroit while most are actually imported TO Detroit.  Not saying the grille guys are lying, but would it be a shock?  I don't think so.  Not that it matters to me, the designers tell the Chinese how to build them so who's to blame when quality is low?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

squeakfinder

I'm not trying to stur things up. But with these issue's the west coast ports have had with the Longshoreman, maybe there is a hold up with the material's or the actual item.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

JB400

I'm sure they were just testing the market to see how much of a demand there was for our grilles.  Now that they have an idea for how much of a demand there is, they know how much to make.