News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction 69 grills-In stock at classic industries

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, October 25, 2014, 01:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Mine showed up at work a few minutes ago!  Haven't cut into it just yet (the driver left it with a guy in the shop).  From the looks of it, I'd say they used a big "exterior" box to pack smaller component boxes inside.

I'll shoot the unboxing this weekend.  It has been being in the 20s the last 3-4 days so I'm not sure how the shop will feel...I'll be out of the loop most of tomorrow (although it is the warmest day).  Sunday I should have time with the Cowboys on a bye, but we are supposed to get 1-3" of snow and be cold again.  For some reason it has been more like Canada than Texas this week.  Hopefully the grill warms things up!

Without the brackets I can't really install it...I could try to do some side-by-sides, but I am of the Black Grill Society so more people would probably complain than gain anything, lol.  I have the entire dash out of the car as well...Lots of stuff lining up for the winter (which has apparently started, although I'm sure we'll be back in the 70s by early December, lol).

This also brings me to a point of conflict....I will have to figure out if I want to black the grill out, black portions of it out, or leave it as is...My trim is damaged over the center section and is also blacked out...It might be able to be reworked, otherwise I'll for sure need the center section "I" Trim.  I'd often wondered about having the grill blacked out WITH the bright trim...So many options  :lol:

Pretty surreal to think a "new" grill is sitting 6' from my desk.  Thanks again to Classic for cranking this thing out!

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

TexasStroker

Well, I nearly froze in the shop, but I got the grill out and checked out.  Center section looks very nice.  Both headlight doors have quite a bit of overspray.  Overall I am happy...I was going to put it off after freezing outside work tying it down and then unloading it in the shop, but I realized if there was damaged I would want it accounted for ASAP.

I am working on the video now...once it is rendered, I just have to upload it.  It'll be fairly long, but covers packaging, each component, and basic info...I'll try to index the 3 main components in the video description box.

Can't wait for the brackets to show up so this thing can be installed!
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

lukedukem

I filmed my un boxing today. I'll post the link, but please keep in mind I am horrible at video. The first part is quiet then it gets loud. But it's me un boxing then showing some warpage and overspray. But here it is. Again I don't think it's very good so maybe texasStroker does better

http://youtu.be/4M52UZ5PdGE

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Lennard

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

bull

Weird seeing a new grill coming out of a box. :o

Has anyone bolted the plastic to a frame yet? Any warpage should get straightened out then and the stuff seems flexible enough to comply with its mounting points. The overall cool thing about this is that somebody somewhere now has 69 Charger grill moulds, which among other things means the process and product will only improve over time. :2thumbs:

TexasStroker

Dang the internet is slow tonight...

Anyway, I have a lot of pictures, I'll just post the money shots here...When I get more time (and it isn't 30 in the shop) I will get a table set up and take a complete, shot from various angles (with the headlight doors in place...not being mounted they wanted to fall off the back).

Here is a link where I'll add ALL the pictures: http://www.lonestarmopars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=583

Overall I am very happy with the grill and I'm looking forward to installing it...I might wind up with a new header panel, we will see.  That would allow me to mock it up a little earlier.

Here is a link to the video:
Unboxing and Initial Impressions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJSwsknbK18

-Long video, but I like to err on the side of being thorough...You can find an "index" in the description box if there is something in particular you want to see.

Pictures
Complete Grill by Component:

Rough, Long View (No Headlight Doors):

RH Section with Headlight Door Mocked Up:

LH Section with Headlight Door Mocked Up:

Center Section:

There are a lot of details to take in...I didn't notice the "pegs" on the center section to align the LH and RH sides until I was mocking things up for pictures...I've never had my grill off, so I probably missed a few things...It was interesting to see the mounting points and make note of where I know mine is cracked etc.  I, much like a few others who have posted, think that the grill will straighten out one it is put in place and fully dressed...The "droop" on the LH and RH sections is pretty bad out of the box...I can't stress though how light and flexible the plastic is...hard to imagine the original may have once had the same characteristics.  Once again, if there is anything in particular you want to see in the video, just use the index...The lighting was very good and you can easily see the rough lines, overspray, etc.  If the brackets were here I'd likely be pulling everything off tomorrow...If there are any questions/concerns, I will do my best to answer them.  Overall there isn't much to complain about...Very glad I saw this thread  :2thumbs:
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Ghoste

I wonder how these compare in material and construction to the ones Bobfist did?

bill440rt

Wow, those headlight doors do have some sag to them.  :o
I would hope some of that would be reduced upon installation.

So, it's made from more of a flexible floppy-type plastic vs hard plastic?
I'd like to see pics of it installed as well.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

And that makes me wonder about the long term rigidity of them. 

bull

Me too. I'd also like to see how the thickness compares to original. Based on how they look I'm thinking they're going to need to be more rigid than they are now if they're going to look right and last. Does the description mention what material they're using? ABS, PVC, vinyl?

bull

Here's a bit of unsolicited advice you guys might consider when bolting these plastic pieces to the frame. When I restored my grill I bought some thin stainless flat bar to use as a washer inside those plastic mounting pads to spread the weight out across the entire pad better. Fender washers would work too but I would use something there so the weight of the plastic is distributed beyond the area of the small mounting bolts.

Ghoste

They don't really specify the type of plastic, they just say it's a resin.  :shruggy:

Charger4404spd

lukedukem

Quote from: bull on November 15, 2014, 02:52:51 PM
Me too. I'd also like to see how the thickness compares to original. Based on how they look I'm thinking they're going to need to be more rigid than they are now if they're going to look right and last. Does the description mention what material they're using? ABS, PVC, vinyl?
The thickness seems the same. In my video I do the squeeze test with the center piece and it feels the same almost. My grille is tougher due to age I think. I too want to know what they are using to make these. They are pretty spot on in my opinion. 

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

bull

They will probably straighten out pretty well when bolted to the frame and with the trim installed, however, I would encourage one of you guys to let Classic Industries know about this issue (assuming it is an issue) if you haven't already. I'm not saying it's a FUBAR deal but in my mind it doesn't look right. Then again I've never seen a brand new plastic part of a 69 grill so maybe it's fine. :shruggy: It does look better than a pile of dried out, busted, mix and match pieces.

moparnation74

The warping is concerning.  Yes, the grille will try to straighten out in the frame.  How much will it?  I am wondering if it will have a wavy appearance, especially from a side view.  Someone needs to fully assemble the grille in the frame.

I am also concerned how it will hold up on a hot summer day and an engine at operating temp.  That softer resin could be a problem.

bakerhillpins

Any comments on how the silver matches the OEM color and texture?
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

TexasStroker

I'd definitely say it is a very lively plastic.  I have never had my grill out and have only dealt with trying to brace it as a 15 year old way back in the day, lol.  I certainly can't envision the frame having a drop like that...I've cleaned the current one, repainted it, etc and it has always seemed very hard/rigid to me...hence why it would be cracked.

My biggest question now is what I mentioned earlier...how this one will hold up--better, or worse.  I think as is it will be more resistant to cracking, but I also wonder what heat/sunlight might do to it...All the grills I have dealt with (69 Charger, 74 Duster (I have a spare), 01 Ram, and Mopar 10 have all been quite rigid.  I got the Ram and M10 NEW and as delivered they are solid pieces.  The Duster doesn't have the flex this one does...It only has give at the mounting points, and those are what is prone to break on that grill (74 Duster).

As for any color comparisons I am out of contention there as my grill is BLACK  :coolgleamA:  I may actually wind up painting this one, I haven't decided yet.  I plan to mock it up as is and see how I like it. 

I just need some free time and 30+ degree days in the shop...I have the dash all torn apart and have my rad support brace so I can finally justify pulling the valance to be straightened and grill to come out for R&R as well as my planned wiring upgrades.  Once it all comes together I will test fit this new grill as is...Not sure when it'll all happen, but that is the plan.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Mike DC

:scratchchin:

Standard ABS plastic shouldn't be warping like this.  Something is off here. 

Ghoste

NickJ

Just my  :Twocents: but I think the grills will be fine in the long run. My grill wasn't nearly as warped as TexasStroker's coming out of the box but it seems like it regains it's original shape once it's out of the box and warmed up a little. I stored mine in the attic (which has become a Charger parts depot in the last 5 months) for a couple weeks and it already looks much better than it did originally. Also, I think the grills will gain alot of rigidity once they are bolted together and onto the frame. Much like the unibody does as you add sheetmetal. Who knows, I could be talking out my ass and will be cussing this thing in a year but for now I think it's a damn good part especially for the price.

Nick
https://www.facebook.com/Rowdy69Charger

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Why do I have the feeling that they tooled up a $100,000 item, selling it for $1000 each, and then compromised the end result to save about $10 each on materials?