News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood to Fender alignment

Started by Shredthepow, October 24, 2014, 11:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shredthepow

I've read all the posts on here covering this & still cannot figure this one out.  Any help is appreciated.

Hood closes very tight to driver side fender in the front by the grille.  Gap is good at the cowl between hood/fender but gets tighter & tighter as it goes forward.  Rubbing at the front corner. Passenger side gap is perfect from front to back.

How many bolts hold the fender on at the front & is it possible to loosen the front & push it out to even the gap?  I'm obviously not a body man so sorry for the dumb question.  Body shop is hours away & I want to get this fixed ASAP!  Thanks!

b5blue

I'd put some tiny marks with a fine point sharpie at the edge of the washers for the fender bolts then loosen the bolts. Pull outward using the marks as a gauge to see if you can flex everything out just a bit on just that end of the fender. (It looks to be like your just a small bit off.)  :scratchchin: If it will move enough you may need someone to pull while you tighten the bolts.

Monziac

Are these new AMD fenders? I found a small flaw in the stamping and had to shim my fendets out with a washer to correct it. It is the bolt that attaches the fender to the front braces on top by the horns etc. Jon

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Monziac on October 26, 2014, 07:32:29 PM
Are these new AMD fenders? I found a small flaw in the stamping and had to shim my fendets out with a washer to correct it. It is the bolt that attaches the fender to the front braces on top by the horns etc. Jon

Many original fender require a shim there. Or you can bent the area in the corner to achieve the same result.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

This is much easier with more modern cars that don't have fenders the size of Manhattan but try this: Leave the bolts inplace up to where the gap is even but remove the ones on the front.  The idea is to move only the nose of the fender.  Do not try the hammer and wood block method, it rarely ends well.   :icon_smile_big:

As suggested try shims only first, if that fails you need to put some pressure on it so you're going to need some help to 'crack' the fender frame. It won't damage the skin, it's too strong, but it'll bend the corner enough to create an even gap.  You'll need shims still to make it a little easier.

When doing this and you feel you are going to create damage you probably will so stop and rethink the situation instead of hoping for the best.  Post back with your findings and question if you have them.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Monziac

I like the hammer and block option......  :icon_smile_big: Remwmber when you shim the front out it will most likely cause the fender alignment to tuck inward, unless you have it all very tight back there.