News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual adj. drums vs. auto adj. drums

Started by 66FBCharger, October 03, 2014, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What was the thinking in the 60's as far as manual vs. auto adj. drum brakes? the '69 R/T w/ the HD 11" drums are manually adjustable. Did people not trust the auto adjusters? Were people more diligent about servicing their cars and the brakes were adjusted every or every oil change therefore not needing the auto adjusters?
I'm just trying to understand the reasoning for Chrysler not using automatic brake adjusters.
Anyone have any insights?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

charge69

I really have no idea what Chrysler was thinking when they put the manual drum brakes with manual adjusters on these cars but, I don't remember it being such a big deal back then. If the car was on a lift, it was a 10 minute job to adjust the brakes. Having to use a jack and jack stands was a lot more hassle but, when I was young, it still wasn't a big deal. My Charger has the 11" manual drum brakes from the factory and they need to be adjusted as I type this!!  Ugghhhh!

Now that I am an old fart and do not have ready-access to a lift, jacking up the Charger and putting jack stands under it for safety, then getting down on the ground and using the brake spoon (yes, I still have one from the 70's) to adjust the brakes on each corner is a real pain!  Even more of a pain with a sure grip rear as you have to have both rear tires off the ground and access to adjust the brakes as well as turn the wheels. Also, you have to block the front wheels and put the car in neutral to adjust the rear brakes.

I have adjusted many a manual brake in my time and it is not hard. Getting everything ready is still a pain, though. To adjust them, spin the wheel and adjust the brakes until they stop the spin. Back off a little and adjust until they stop again. Then back off slowly until you can spin the wheel and hear the shoes just barely catching the wheel. Do this at every corner and you are done ...... for a while !  Ha !

ws23rt

I wonder about things like you do.  There must have been a meeting or at least a conversation about this.
More often than not something like this is about money but I think not always.
It could be as simple as someone not making a valid point at the right time.  Or they had to take the day off cause their kid was sick :shruggy:

Ghoste

Maybe so the performance guys could have them set where they wanted them?  :shruggy:

John_Kunkel

My thought too, loosening the brakes eliminates parasitic drag for those trying to cut the last hundredth of a second off their E.T.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

My 500 has manual adjust drum brakes and my 92 Cummins automatic adjusters don't work for crap so they as well be manual also which is a pia but it has to be done.  I am 65 myself, and just think  society getting a little lazy (myself included) about many things and the list could go on for miles but its  progressive evolution. :shruggy: :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

HANDM

Quote from: charge69 on October 03, 2014, 08:53:27 PM
and using the brake spoon (yes, I still have one from the 70's)

Funny that you mention this, just today I was dinking with the Challenger and was feeling around between the split seam of the drivers seat and pulled a brake spoon out!

I know I didn't put it there and I've had the car 25 years and the seats have been out a couple times ........

charge69

That's funny! wonder where it came from?

ws23rt

It was always there just not seen :lol:  We all have stories about things lost in front of our eyes or found where we already looked.  I have several of many tools just because of this. :cheers:

HANDM

Quote from: charge69 on October 05, 2014, 03:52:16 PM
That's funny! wonder where it came from?

I'm thinking a previous owner tucked it in there via the ripped vinyl to keep it handy and it got pushed all the way in and lost forever??

A383Wing

you can get the adjuster kits to put on 11" drums....I think all "C" body cars came with self adjusters on the 11" drums