News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RamZCharger's 68 6.4 Hemi Restomod

Started by RamZCharger, October 03, 2014, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beav

Quote from: RamZCharger on March 18, 2015, 12:08:52 PM

Traditional teaching of Navajo rug weaving is you have to put a mistake in there, an extra knot or something similar, because only the creator is perfect.  We are not perfect, so they don't make a perfect rug.   Thanks for the tip Navajos.

I've not ever heard that... but I really like that, and concur.

Awesome results on your project... I'd consider nicks/chips from driving to be "war paint."

:2thumbs: Beav
Never confuse kindness for weakness...

RamZCharger

I have been asked a few times for a video, so here is a link to a very short engine run:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YunLGMoHwks&feature=youtu.be

This is one of the first starts without everything hooked up, open headers with no exhaust.  The motor is cold but runs very smooth and is surprisingly quiet without mufflers.  If you look closely you will notice no vibrations at all and if you could turn off your ears it would be very difficult to detect visually if the engine is at idle or off.  This is before any driving and very much within a break-in period.  Call it within the first 15 minutes of engine life.

I have a few more build posts before I get to driving impressions, challenges, and all that goes with setting up a new car, this is not Overhaulin' after all.  More to come . . .

RamZCharger

So I have been struggling with getting a module that will appropriately read a G3 Hemi tach signal.  Seems the dual ignition 2 spark plugs per cylinder is a relatively new system when it comes to the aftermarket game.  If you hook up a tach to a coil in the traditional manner you will only read about half the signal, but in my case it has not been a direct ½ : 1 correlation.  I am wondering how this has been accomplished with other installs . . . ?  My builder somehow discovered that Dakota Digital has developed a module that supposedly will work, and the part number is 8GI-8E.  The "E" is the designation for a Mopar single coil.  Evidently this is a bit secretive, and the item is not currently for sale publically.  But if you call Dakota Digital with some persuasion they will sell it to you.  Direct from on the down-low.  I'll post later on hopefully the success of this part.

RamZCharger

Self-serving post of the day:

Below are a few pictures after a first coat of wax.  I use stuff called RejeX, you can find it on-line.  It is not a traditional wax, but a synthetic thin-film polymer coating.  I believe this stuff was developed for the aviation industry, but it is used widely now for cars and boats.  I even apply it to my windows.  I have no affiliation with this company, and have not used any of their other products, but would recommend for paint protection and shine.  This has been the easiest stuff to apply that I have ever used, and even with the black paint I managed it without swirl marks.  Seems to last a very long time too, water beads up even a year after an application, although I wouldn't recommend going that long in-between a paint service.

Thanks Dad for helping me prep the car, and use of your garage.  

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

cdr

Hey Darren, I am not sure how i missed your build , AWESOME car & workmanship!!!!!!!!

Charlie
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RamZCharger

Quote from: cdr on June 19, 2015, 11:04:06 AM
Hey Darren, I am not sure how i missed your build , AWESOME car & workmanship!!!!!!!!

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, still working on a few bugs, I have about 600 miles on it.  Looking forward to getting our two cars together.  Cheers, Darren

cdr

let me know when you are in town.   :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RamZCharger

Currently on assignment out of the country in car withdrawal so I thought I would update on a few things and perhaps relieve the rapid onset of my delirium tremens.

This low rider was too low and putting on the miles saw suspension settling and I experienced decent tire rub.  Just about all around you can see where each tire rubbed on inner fenders.  It got to the point where I was more moving the car than driving, for fear of irreparable damage.  Turning into a driveway the front passenger tire tapped the fender good enough to pop out the lip – made a V shaped dent, urgh.  My builder coaxed it back into place and you'd be hard pressed to find it without knowing exactly where the mishap occurred.  Paint is fine.  We raised the car about an inch and that seems to have given me enough room for spirited driving without rub.

Suspension is tight and controlled, but pops.  I suspect this is the Hotchkis heim joints.  It's not terrible by any means, but under hard braking and at turning extremes there are noticeable pops.  I don't think a sign of failure, just part of the design.  I do not like it, but I am not sure what I am going to do about it.  We are looking at alternate end joints, if anyone has experience with this and has an upgrade recommendation please comment or PM me.

I do have driveline vibration and some issues with my transmission.  My TKO 600 has about 600 miles on it and is very stiff.  Stiff to the point where it feels like it wants to double clutch.  It will go into gear but entry is delayed – in all gears.  I have upgraded synchros so this is pretty surprising, and other out of the box TKO 600s did not feel this choppy to my builders.  They had such big concern we took the car to a transmission expert for him to diagnose health, and he thought it was fine, but I am still not so sure.  There is a 1,000 mile break-in period so I have not banged gears, and frankly would not be comfortable trying any quick shifts.  So far shifting is deliberate and slow, and I don't think adding force will help.  My fingers are crossed it loosens up.

On a lift there is evidence my differential pinion snubber was hitting the floor, so we have adjusted that angle with 4 degree shims.  I hope this will help with the driveline vibrations too.

Brakes are disappointing.  The front inside pads are loose and clatter.  The outside had the same issue but my builder was able to correct using an ancient Chinese secret, but so far no remedy for the inside pads.  I don't like the clatter but may be stuck without a significant upgrade.  Speaking of which, I am changing my manual system to Hydroboost, and upgrading the reservoir to a Wilwood unit, part number WIL-260-8555-BK on Summit.  I'll post pics and update once installed.  Stopping is marginal.

RamZCharger

Is it owner psychology to address issues before successes I wonder . . .

I loaded a new tune from Modern Muscle and that seems to have fixed my hot start issue.  Throttle response also has improved from good to excellent.

Since my transmission is still breaking bad, er breaking-in and I am not confident with any type of power shifting, hard pulls have mainly been from a roll or slow cruise; it'll make you smile and give an adrenaline jolt.  The growl from 30 – 90 MPH is stellar, and then open the cutouts and in a word – awesome.  In two words – totally visceral.  Cruising at 90 – 100 is dead calm and straight giving you confidence that you may, or may not should have.  

Body roll is very good and so is steering.  In the country on wide sweeping curves everything stays true and is predictable.  I never felt like the back end was going to break away, except once with intentional tire spin that was an exclamation point reminder this car needs to be respected.  

I was stuck in stand still highway traffic for about 45 minutes in Texas heat due to an accident up the road.  The car performed perfect in these miserable conditions, no overheating issues at all.  Vader, meet Texas heat and traffic.  Texas heat and traffic, suck it.

But I suppose the best endorsement is the punch drunk smile I wear thinking about my car oceans away.

RamZCharger

The floor mats I ordered – black with scripted Charger R/T arrived in red, and red is not the new black.  Dante's was very accommodating with this return.  We did throw them in the car for a show, maybe to our detriment because they are hard to look at.  This actually has worked in my favor because the cookie cutter mats that everyone sells do not fit my floors.  My console is decently custom and takes up more real estate than stock I suppose.  Aside from the color, the mats are good quality.  I had a black set before my car went under the knife and I loaned them to a friend; they walked off with him, as these things tend to do.  Point being, go ahead get some – they're good.  And go with Dante. 

But for me we had a set custom made with the right footprint, which is par for this build.  Still looking for a shop that can embroider the Charger script, but as is I don't think too shabby.  Some pictures are below, the red mistake and then back in black.

RamZCharger

Just a quick thought on Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plates and how sometimes it all comes together just as it was meant to be.  In Texas, and other states, YOM law permits antique and classic vehicle owners to register their car or truck using license plates made in the same year as the vehicle.  Why, because cool.  I have gone through this process a couple different times now and it has taken hours to easy smooth.  Worth it I think for that extra vintage detail.

1968 was a good year for Texas in this regard.  The world's fair was held in San Antonio in Hemisfair park.  The event coincided with San Antonio's 250th anniversary since founding in 1718 and the plaza is still there today.  The park houses historic buildings, landscaped walking paths, and other attractions – including the 750 foot tall Tower of the Americas that you can climb for views of San Antonio.

To memorialize further 1968 Texas license plates reference Hemisfair.  The plates are black (cool) with white letters.  The plates have TEXAS along the top and 68 HEMISFAIR 68 along the bottom.  My builders asked where I got 1968 Hemi plates . . .  Even though I am into these kinds of serendipitous details I didn't put it together until the question was posed.  6.4 Hemi, Hemi badges, and Hemi plates . . . stupendous. 

Dino

Ha! It doesn't get much better than that!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

DC_1

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

six-tee-nine

I really like the concept of the ultimate custom everything in a OEM looking body...

I really liked the big wheels when I got into these cars but the older I get the more I like these cars on 15" wheels with fat tires....

Very tasefull car. I hope you can resolve your break in issues and smash some gears, why else would you want a manual?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

RamZCharger

My car has been in a series of 3 shows in Waller, which is northwest of Houston.  Points accumulate and awards are distributed at the final show, which was last weekend.  Some nice recognition for my builders.

Still have some items and upgrades to address, hopefully before year-end.  I'll report accordingly.

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

keepat

RamZCharger

The car went to a little show a couple weekends ago . . . found some pictures on-line and am re-posting here.  It seems to show pretty well in the restomod category . . .

TPR

Quote from: RamZCharger on February 29, 2016, 03:22:19 AM
It seems to show pretty well in the restomod category . . .

Indeed it does.  :2thumbs:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Mike DC

Did that TKO 600 ever loosen up? 

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.