News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drag Race crash....knowing when to lift

Started by firefighter3931, September 22, 2014, 11:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Some good lessons to be learned here ;

(1) Race on a prepped track
(2) Use the proper safety equipment (race harness/protective clothing)
(3) When your car or the car in the other lane gets out of shape....get off the throttle !

Last and not least ; no race is worth wrecking your car or worse !  :P

This guy was very lucky....the car barrel rolled several times and he ended up on the hood. This is why it's important to have a 5 point harness when you're racing  :yesnod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uud7rcwhI5U&feature=player_embedded

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

6spd68

Since they both went squirrelly after launch, I'm guessing the track not being glued played a factor?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

TUFCAT

John_Kunkel

The "drag strip" they were running on appears to be the pit lane of an oval track...absolutely no rubber buildup.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

tan top

he was lucky ,  wonder how the belts /seat let go ,   not big/ thick  enough sandwich plates & washers etc both sides of the floor ,   on the mounting bolts ,  with weight of driver   , pulled  through the floor ? :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

HPP

Yes, its the pit lane on the above pictured oval track. I wonder if this incident will have them rethinking straight line events.

I've heard a few different stories on it, belt mounts failed, and all he had was a lap be, etc. Don't know the true story.

What is surprising to me is this track is 30 minutes down the road from me, but I had no idea that was even going on. I guess a Denver radio station sponsored the event as Outlaw eighth mile drags.

Proof positive that trying to be a pedaling hero at bracket drags can rarely lead to a good outcome.

Indygenerallee

Wonder who's genius plan it was to go racing on a track designed for road racing..... :slap:  Idiot's galore  :eek2:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Aero426

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 22, 2014, 03:07:30 PM
Wonder who's genius plan it was to go racing on a track designed for road racing..... :slap:  Idiot's galore  :eek2:

It's a track built during the boom years of the 90's, and has no major events today.    Looks like they do a lot of track rentals.     I didn't realize it was still operating. 

HPP

This event was the brain child of a Denver radio DJ. However, the track's organization was foolish enough to buy into it and lease the date.

They do have events there regularly. Southwest tour cars ( touring series below the Busch cars) are coming through next weekend. SCCA and NASA both use it regularly. AMA runs there. Chumpcars have run there. Bondurant, Rusty Wallace, Richard Petty as well as Supercar Driving Experiences all run there regularly. But yes, there are no longer any events the caliber of the Indy races or Busch races there any longer.

Mike DC

Ouch.  And no insurance coverage on a racetrack . . . when he gets the bill for that wreck he may wish he got killed in it after all.

It never ceases to amaze me how many guys wreck cars rather than just getting off the throttle when things go south.   I mean, shouldn't the instinct to lift come so naturally that it takes a conscious effort NOT to do it?  

Besides, the guy in the other lane had already gotten visibly loose while being 1-2 car lengths ahead.  The guy in the '55 should have known to abort the run before he himself even started getting loose in the first place.   

As for the seatbelt, it appears to be a rollcaged car.  One would expect a 5pt harness with that.  

RallyeMike

Well, the 55 is not a total loss. The wipers were still working.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

F8-4life

At least they got the wreck on video.
Good thing it was a post car and not a hardtop.

c00nhunterjoe

Ghoste

moparnation74

That guy in the 55 better buy a lottery ticket.  I am amazed he walked away.

Mike DC

Big & little drag racing tire combos.  Don't ask for 5 degrees of turning control, and everything will be fine.

HPP

Driver confirmed he was belted in, but his belts pulled through the floor from the force of the accident. I haven't seen anything saying he had a harness at all.

Car was his wife's street car.

More photos and alternate footage on Facebook at Colorado Street Outlaws.

But agree with others, once he saw the Camaro get out of the groove, he should have backed off himself. However, there is a percentage of racers out there who extoll their inability to react reasonably in these situations by saying they are all out all the time let the chips fall where they may. I personally find it foolish to have such a win at all costs attitude.

moparnation74

Quote from: HPP on September 23, 2014, 10:55:48 AM
Driver confirmed he was belted in, but his belts pulled through the floor from the force of the accident. I haven't seen anything saying he had a harness at all.

Car was his wife's street car.

More photos and alternate footage on Facebook at Colorado Street Outlaws.

But agree with others, once he saw the Camaro get out of the groove, he should have backed off himself. However, there is a percentage of racers out there who extoll their inability to react reasonably in these situations by saying they are all out all the time let the chips fall where they may. I personally find it foolish to have such a win at all costs attitude.

And wreck his wifes car, ouch

wingcar

"Car was his wife's street car".

You can bet, he'll be hearing about that for some time to come..... :rant:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

TUFCAT

I can see the wife's face when he tells her it NOT covered by insurance!  :flame:

Aero426

Any time you put a car on the track, you have to understand it may not make it back.

6spd68

Quote from: HPP on September 23, 2014, 10:55:48 AM

Yep, unfortunately for that guy; he became a living example of why you back off it...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Baldwinvette77

I almost cried.. Then i remembered brand new 55 chevy's were available reproduction  :cheers:

Paul G

I had to think twice before I put my 72 on the track at MATS. Competition events are not covered by insurance. Same deal if something bad happens street racing.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

myk

Quote from: Paul G on September 28, 2014, 05:26:54 PM
I had to think twice before I put my 72 on the track at MATS. Competition events are not covered by insurance. Same deal if something bad happens street racing.

I have to get a special policy from Hagerty if I want to do any sanctioned events as well...