News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

This is embarrassing but a little help needed (440 Oil Pump change)

Started by RT, September 22, 2014, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT

I am a little embarrassed to ask but I need a step by step procedure to change an oil pump on a 69 Charger with a 440 engine. 

I have never done this before. I am not a mechanic but I am fairly handy.

I have good pressure but I am getting leakage at the block and also from the cover plate. I purchased a new pump (standard pressure and flow with new gasket and O ring) and I just want to make sure that I do the job correctly. It looks pretty straightforward but I may be missing something.

Do I need to drain all or some of the oil first? Does the drive gear fit a certain way in the block or does it just have to mesh with internal gears? Will I have to move the distributor? When I remove the drive gear shaft will anything drop into its space that will have to be repositioned later? Does the drive gear shaft just slide into the pump or is it locked into place? Will I need to prime prior to restarting or could I just crank over the engine to prime the pump? Is it easier to install the drive gear first and then slide the pump over the shaft or should it be inserted into pump first? I believe that the mounting bolts are tightened to 35 ft-lb, correct? Answers to these questions or ones that I may not have thought of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ralph

A383Wing

you don't need to touch dist or drive gear, just unscrew filter, remove 4 bolts that hold pump on, and remove pump. Clean block surface, pre-lube pump with grease or new engine oil, install pump, install filter, run engine, check for leaks

RT

So the drive gear/shaft will stay in position when I remove the pump?

If so, it sounds pretty straightforward.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ralph

John_Kunkel

In some cases the longest oil pump bolt won't come out before it hits the K-member, in that case just leave the loosened bolt in the pump when removing/installing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

fy469rtse

yep what john said,
just done mine , straight forward if you have the longest bolt in pump to install makes it easier,

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 22, 2014, 02:19:08 PM

In some cases the longest oil pump bolt won't come out before it hits the K-member, in that case just leave the loosened bolt in the pump when removing/installing.
[/quote

this helps with the gasket too.

RT

I finally had time to change the pump. It was as straight forward as described.

Just wanted to say thanks to all that responded.

Ralph