News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GYC in hot water over Rex's lime green 70 Charger.

Started by Cooter, September 22, 2014, 06:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnation74

Well, that certainly clarified a lot.  As I said earlier, "What more can you ask of GYC?" 
He tried to make it right and is still willing.

The sad thing here is that this car left GYC in the condition described. 

1974dodgecharger

We all do agree something, 'FISHY' is going on and it does not involve a barracuda or cuda.  Between that situation it becomes of she said and he said which we don't know about truelly between them two. 

In the end the quality is piss poor, PERIOD!!! 

here some assumptions we can do:
-Rex is extorting money from Mark?
-Mark does want this shut down so people don't know the true craftsman's he is not in the mopar world?
-maybe Mark didn't offer him the 10k?

who knows......but I do know the Graveyard Cars are piss poor compared to my 68 that I can say.
Quote from: CornDogsCharger on September 22, 2014, 10:16:30 PM
What has not been mentioned on this thread yet, is that Mark told Rex to take the car to a the shop of his (Rex's) choice, and get an estimate to repair the car to his liking... and Mark would pay for those repairs to be done.  The shop charged $1050 for a estimate on the car, which Mark paid for.  The estimate to repair the car came to right around $10k... which Mark agreed to pay.  So lets go over this one more time...

-Rex picks a shop for the repairs to be done... to HIS liking.  
-Shop charges $1050.00 for estimate..... Mark paid
-Rex's shop gives an estimate to repair Rex's car for $9,935.47.... Mark has agreed to pay.

Now, that was not good enough for Rex and he declines the offer.  Why? you ask.... Rex tells Mark, that is not enough and it will take another $10K to make him "go away".  Hmmm  :scratchchin:

Mark is not going to let Rex extort money out of him for no reason... just to make him "Go Away"??  He offered to make it right and Rex declined.

I am in the body shop business and quite often you get these customers and, no matter what you do, they will NEVER be happy.  Now yes, I agree... the repairs should have been right from the start, but here is a man that wants to make the car RIGHT and is willing to pay for it... but that is not enough.  If Rex's #1 concern was to make the car right, and that was it, then he would agree to the offer.  But apparently, that is not enough.  He really doesn't care about the car... right now he is just trying to prove a point.  I understand that he is sick that the accident even happened, but as it was mentioned before... he should have just taken the money and ran.  Mark actually worked with this insurance companies to help Rex save his car.  Car was insured for $58k,  the bank would get $47k and Rex would have only gotten the $11k that he had invested in the loan.  The insurance company set the buy-back value at $14k (which is based on salvage value).  Rex didn't have enough, so Mark worked it out so that he could still have his car.  I even remember when Rex first posted pictures of the wrecked car (shortly after it happened) and tagged Mark on Facebook practically begging him to help.

I'm not taking sides because I can see both sides of the argument.  But there a proper way to handle things to achieve a common goal... and making a facebook page to bash the other party seems about right if you were a 13 year old school girl.  It isn't really the best way to approach the problem.  It only makes things worse.  

Justin

Chargen69

first mistake.

borrowing 50k to have a daily driver  :popcrn:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Chargen69 on September 23, 2014, 12:13:45 AM
first mistake.

borrowing 50k to have a daily driver  :popcrn:

I think he made that up to Mark, just my IMO.  I don't know why said that to him to make mark feel sorry for him that he didn't have a car for 8 months so maybe Mark will pay out more to him, again extortion?

Chargen69

i love my car, and my car is worth a lot.  I probably have 50k in it.  but no matter how much i love it, and no matter how much time has been spent on it.  if i were to get hit that bad and get what the car is insured for, i am walking out and buying another one. no way i could go through a second time what we have gone through this time.

difference is, my car is paid for

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Chargen69 on September 23, 2014, 01:01:35 AM
i love my car, and my car is worth a lot.  I probably have 50k in it.  but no matter how much i love it, and no matter how much time has been spent on it.  if i were to get hit that bad and get what the car is insured for, i am walking out and buying another one. no way i could go through a second time what we have gone through this time.

difference is, my car is paid for

well said!!!  I know damn well I got 50k plus into my car, but im not superficial my 50k lies around not looks per say, but performance wise and reliability (which is costing more)  :icon_smile_big:

If the insurance offered me 50k and I had a loan to be honest I would of taken Rex road path and it fixed.  I don't have a loan and if they offered me 50k I  would take it and build me another one with a  freaking 572 Hemi...damn it that's 30k already.  :icon_smile_big:

Mopar Nut

Wow, the true story comes out, thanks Mark. I stand behind GYC!

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

GYC presented shoddy work, but the owner made things worse by trying to milk the situation for every dollar.  If the owner had taken the insurance money he would've been fine.  If the owner had taken GYC's offer to make things right he would've been fine.  He took the wrong choice at every turn and now it's just a big legal mess with a public smear campaign to boot...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

fy469rtse

Still remember, haven't heard from the other guy yet
Two sides to a story and somewhere in the middle is the truth,
Very bad part from mark , that its his reputation at stake, and why wouldn't he personally inspect every car or have I trusted employe do so, that part does not make sense, to release a car in that state , terrible ,
Very bad work ,

myk

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 23, 2014, 06:05:13 AM
Very bad part from mark , that its his reputation at stake, and why wouldn't he personally inspect every car or have I trusted employe do so, that part does not make sense, to release a car in that state , terrible ,
Very bad work ,

Well I figure the owner's side of the story has already been represented on Facebook.  As for quality control, EVERYONE failed on that part, especially the owner. 

Yes, a shop should be supervised and verified by its owners and managers, so I don't understand how GYC could let this car be presented in that manner.  However, as someone who has recently escaped body shop HELL I don't understand how the car's owner could have allowed 8 months to elapse without intervening during that time.

When my car was in the body shop I was there AT LEAST TWICE A WEEK asking questions, taking pictures, taking inventory of removed parts, etc, etc, etc.  When I realized that the body shop was building up to give me shoddy work I pulled the car out and dealt with it differently!  Where was the manager/owner of GYC during the shoddy workmanship?  Most importantly, where was the owner of the damn car?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

73rallye440magnum

:eyes:

I've done insurance work on classic cars and it is not a comfortable position to be in.

:Twocents: If the owner doesn't think the repair work is up to snuff, the last thing he should be doing is publicly bashing GYC.

All three parties (GYC, owner, insurance adjuster) should get together and hammer out the details to reach an agreement.

Edit: Somehow I missed page 2 and 3 before I posted this.

What a nightmare. Mark seems like an ethical businessmen and I bet he'll be thrilled to get rid of this Charger once and for all.

Publicly bashing well established and reputable businesses is always a red flag.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Ghoste

lukedukem

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 23, 2014, 02:50:55 AM
Wow, the true story comes out, thanks Mark. I stand behind GYC!

me too, i sucks that the car left in the shape it did. but marks trying to make it right

luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

moparnation74

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 23, 2014, 06:05:13 AM
Very bad work ,
:iagree: :iagree:
His business and inventory is not that massive, no excuse not to QC every car that leaves his shop, Period.

Also, Rex should have done an inspection of his car before leaving GYC.

Never publicly bash someone or any company if they are trying to make things right!

Charger-Bodie

I think this situation is a stick of dynomite with a fuse on both ends.........and there both lit.  :errr:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

r4daytona

Hello all, I was first made aware of this when my car got brought up in that FB page.  I don't remember who posted it but someone said I thought my job was "good enough" and some of my panels didn't line up ...  you're wrong and right.  You're wrong on the good enough, I am actually very happy with my Daytona.  It looks great and rides ok on those stupid 14" tires (what a bad design) lol   As far as some of my panels not lining up, you're right.  However, lets clarify a few things, once more for the people that didn't get it thru their skulls.  I'll do this one at a time:

My trunk not closing evenly - you're right - and neither did Bob Malcholms survivor that I saw at the Nationals. I'm sure some did, and I'm sure some didn't. Maybe, the perfectionists should call Bob and tell him his survivor is wrong. I've tried to "tweak" it a bit better with the latch but that doesn't do much. Only thing I can think of is making the tension on the rods different to close the one side but the tension on those rods scares the crap out of me - especially being in that tiny trunk.

The stripe crooked - You're right it is low - that was my mistake when I helped put it on. I can show you a picture of me doing that if you'd like proof.   I was pulling to hard to work out the bubbles and it is to low.  On second thought, I don't need to prove anything to some of you. I have another stripe and when I feel like it - I'll fix it - when I damn well feel like it.   While we're on the trunk issue - since people want to scrutinize my car how come no one noticed that the back edge of the window plug and the front edge of the decklid line up very nicely - but the one side of the decklid is slightly longer than the other - maybe we should find out who worked on it in 1969 and bash them on FB.

My pass side fender and cowl gap - you're right - it's bigger than the drivers side.  Has anyone checked the arc of the fender vs the arc of the cowl to find they are different???  Maybe I should of had GYC weld some extra metal and put some filler on to make you guys happy.  Ironically, the drivers side frame rail and inner fender was the side that GYC replaced and that gap is really nice - the untouched factory side is the crappy one.  But I'm sure some of you guys just don't want to hear that.  Could I adjust to door 1/16 to make it better - probably, but I don't feel like it now.  The fender and cowl are the way they are.  Period.
Have to leave, but i'll be back

Chargen69

dude my car had to be a "monday after the superbowl" car.  somebody drunk put it together, we fixed what we could, some things are unavoidable.

whoever designed the cowl of these car was on drugs, I just wasnt on enough of them to have that taken off and fixed

r4daytona

Quote from: Chargen69 on September 23, 2014, 09:01:26 AM
dude my car had to be a "monday after the superbowl" car.  somebody drunk put it together, we fixed what we could, some things are unavoidable.

whoever designed the cowl of these car was on drugs, I just wasnt on enough of them to have that taken off and fixed
, What ever that means ?  Anyway, and I will get back to the original post, but someone brought up my car.  PRIOR to my car being shipped back, Mark called me and told me the things I would need to finish if I wanted the car at that time or he would keep it and finish it.  I told him that was fine - he did way more than I expected and paid for - WAY more.  Did I have a bolt or two come loose - sure, who hasn't when they've had a car redone.  That's why we expect that and get under our cars to check them after a couple hundred miles or after we race.  People are expecting my car to be perfect - it's not - I never wanted that.  But it's damn nice and I'm very happy with it.  Two people from this site came to me at Carlisle and told me that car came out better than they expected.  My gut feeling is it was sincere and that showed a lot of class in my book.  I read somewhere that someone said I had paint bubbling up and peeling ??  That's news to me especially since I waxed it yesterday.

Now to my point.  It's funny how people post or say things and so many just jump right on the band wagon - as happened in this post and so many others.  Then, Mark came on, explained his situation and people saw the other side.  Maybe before people jump on the band wagon, you should find out who that leader of the band  is and what their intentions are.  I agree with some others, Mark slipped on this one.  Sure there are some things need fixing, but why did the doors and rockers get brought into this or the picture of the door hinge area - Mark had nothing to do with that but people jumped right on!  He fired the guy and has tried to make it right and Rex refuses because he wants more.   I think others hit the nail on the head, Rex (band leader)paid to much for the car and is now trying to extort money to cover some of his loan.  I also believe that Rex enjoys the attention this has created because it has given him and identity. 

By the way, for those that "jumped on the band wagon" and laughed about the results of that f@*#ed up dyno challenge at the Nats shortly I'll be posting my 1/4 miles runs.  I'm sure no one will have the balls to post  "you know what Tom, you were right and I was wrong to run that time that is more than 229 HP - that dyno was screwed up"  I doubt anyone will though.

moparnation74

Tom,

You're Daytona from what I have seen is beautiful in all respects.  As you mentioned earlier about those areas on your car people picked out is ignorant of any individual to relay that anywhere.  None of these cars where perfect from the factory new.  I get that but most people do not understand.  As far as 1/4 mile times which is better a fast time or a 69 Daytona?  Those haters out there are nothing more than the equivalent of an Internet Troll.

In relation to Mark.  I understand that you had a good experience and good results.  He has tried and is trying to make it right and Rex has treated him horribly and unprofessionally.  However, to let that car leave with the problem areas that was restored by his shop was unacceptable.  In Mark's defense if Rex would have taken his, "Make it right deal."  We probably would have never heard about this at all.  You are correct Rex is the band leader.

lukedukem

tom,
Thanks for coming on and talking about this. i watched GYC and loved your cars story and loved watching it come together. i was worried when i heard the things about it.
i still believe in mark and will follow the show to watch other mopars restored. by the way, do you know when the new season is starting??

luke

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 23, 2014, 12:27:13 AM
Quote from: Chargen69 on September 23, 2014, 12:13:45 AM
first mistake.

borrowing 50k to have a daily driver  :popcrn:

I think he made that up to Mark, just my IMO.  I don't know why said that to him to make mark feel sorry for him that he didn't have a car for 8 months so maybe Mark will pay out more to him, again extortion?

Its driven daily.... he's mentioned specificially on his FB page he bought it as his daily driver (trading in a newer model Challenger). He must not have extra money for a proper daily driver, wants a Charger, and figures it can serve a dual purpose.  Well, there's no way in hell I would ever subject an old car to the rigorous tortures of daily driver duties!

It destroys a restoration, puts on unnecessary miles, wear and tear, with no warranty, and repairability questions.  The cars value goes down every day its driven. By the way, doesn't it snow in Oklahoma?

r4daytona

I believe the new season is starting in November.   Correct, it shouldn't have left like that and Mark knows that.  We all make mistakes - then again, no one here does  :insertsarcasm:

*** one more thing, I talked to Mark today about this and asked to refresh my memory on something I thought he told to me when we talked a few weeks ago.  Mark forgot this, and he says he has an email to prove it, but does anybody know that Rex asked for a job from Mark?   Mark told me that after a few days, Rex then said he wanted like $35K.  Wonder what that says???

TUFCAT

Quote from: r4daytona on September 23, 2014, 12:18:31 PM

does anybody know that Rex asked for a job from Mark?   Mark told me that after a few days, Rex then said he wanted like $35K.  Wonder what that says???

is that 35K a year? - - or every six months!  :smilielol:

Dodge Don

No doubt the absolute truth lies somewhere in-between, no one will ever really know however I get the sense that the truth is closer to Mark's perspective 

If even some of the story is true the car owner comes off looking kind of bad/crazy. 

I like that Mark has acknowledged and taken responsibility for the issues....seems to have gone above and beyond attempting to remedy it only to be met by a "shakedown".

I have not heard any other complaints about the quality at GYC. No doubt Mark will be stricter about quality control inspections before a car leaves the shop. A reputation takes forever to build and only seconds to lose.

Barring any further revelations.....my support is with Mark and GYC.

timmycharger

Quote from: Dodge Don on September 23, 2014, 12:29:59 PM
No doubt the absolute truth lies somewhere in-between, no one will ever really know however I get the sense that the truth is closer to Mark's perspective 

If even some of the story is true the car owner comes off looking kind of bad/crazy. 

I like that Mark has acknowledged and taken responsibility for the issues....seems to have gone above and beyond attempting to remedy it only to be met by a "shakedown".

I have not heard any other complaints about the quality at GYC. No doubt Mark will be stricter about quality control inspections before a car leaves the shop. A reputation takes forever to build and only seconds to lose.

Barring any further revelations.....my support is with Mark and GYC.

:iagree: