News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GYC in hot water over Rex's lime green 70 Charger.

Started by Cooter, September 22, 2014, 06:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnation74

Anyone whom does not visually inspect the final restoration of this magnitude prior to taking possession of that car is an idiot.

No Question!

He should have taken the insurance money in the beginning.

Total Idiot!

Moparman01

There may be a good reason why this Rex fellow did not take Hagerty's offer. Ok, I've breezed thru this thread reading some of the more prominent posts so I may be a little off on certain things but here is my take on the whole matter. It has been said the guy used the Charger for a daily driver, and that he wanted compinsation for using rental car while the Charger was in the shop. First of all, if the car was a daily driver and his only ride Hagerty would not or shouldn't have insured him! That is policy #1 with Hagerty, not your daily driver!! So if this was how the Charger was being used, Rex must have lied to get the insurance, that would be insurance fraud correct? This could explain why he did not take Hagerty's deal for fear they may dig a little deeper or somehow learn the cars actual use. This is just speculation and making observations on my part. And, if you can drop, or can afford a loan for a $50+ grand car, why can't you spend a grand or 2 for a daily beater driver? Also mentioned, was this guy driving the Charger in Winter?? That's just plain ignorance on Rex's part if he was!! Somebody else made a good point too that this was a collision repair, not a nut and bolt show car restoration, I would think it would cost considerably more than $30,000 to have brought that car up to high end show standards this guy seems to have wanted! I agree the work should have been better but at least Mark was gonna fix it out his own pocket, great show of character but I don't believe 100% Mark should have had too for a car that came in with major problems even before the accident! I think Rex bought a sub par restoration Charger for way to much money and is trying to save face by now extorting GYC for more money. This guy comes off as a complete tool, plain and simple.

On another note, I have had the pleasure to meet and see Tom's Daytona up close and personal at the Legendary Auto Interiors show last month! That Daytona is nothing short of spectacular, I didn't see any terrible panel alignment or paint issues, the work GYC did looks excellent to me and if it were my car I would be proud to say GYC restored it, TV show or not!! I have to go with GYC on this deal, they have made far better choices for correcting the situation, Rex is just looking for his 15 minutes of fame and to make up for his poor decision of not paying close enough attention to what he was buying in the first place!

1974dodgecharger

so your saying that they are both WRONG!!  Yet everyone on here is saying they side with Mark Worman  :scratchchin: so you guys side with bad body work????  BOTH seems WRONG there is no SIDES to this......

I only side with Mark Worman because I like bad bodywork.....no really I do...and paint that runs  ::)
Quote from: TUFCAT on September 23, 2014, 06:09:03 PM
Quote from: charge69 on September 23, 2014, 06:06:18 PM
I agree with MYK on this issue.  How, in the world, do you justify the Charger leaving the shop in the condition it was in and say it was done?  Defend Mark all you want but, that was some amateur ,at best, work and he let it leave the shop!  I, personally, would never let his shop touch my car after seeing some of the work he let go to the owner!

Yeah, his reputation took years to build but, he screwed the pooch letting this shoddy work leave his shop!  If he would have been a little smart about it, he would not have taken on this project but, money, and I can almost guarantee you he made a lot of it on the initial project, tends to cause people to attempt things they shouldn't!  

Rex looks like an "opportunistic" A-hole in this event and probably is! The lawyers will be the only winners here, as usual!  Too bad as I have a particular disdain for the blood-sucking cretins they are!

I don't think you'll find anyone defending the poor quality work that GYC performed.

Its completely unacceptable - even Mark Worman says so.

My problem is with the way REX handled the situation.  This got completely out of hand when Rex became "his own lawyer".  This could have been settled in private with both parties retaining council.  This is exactly what laws/lawyers are intended for.   :Twocents: :Twocents:  

Ghoste

Its pretty clear that as a group getting the info hearsay on the internet we don't know much about the whole story.  I hope both parties can reach a solution so that a bodyshop into Mopars retain their reputation and a Charger owner gets a car that makes him happy.

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 24, 2014, 03:34:01 AM

so your saying that they are both WRONG!!  Yet everyone on here is saying they side with Mark Worman  :scratchchin:

Yes, they were both wrong.....but Mark showed more class by handling this situation and offering a remedy.  Whether or not the remedy was good, bad, or ugly...at least it was a start in the right direction. :Twocents: :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

I see the mistakes on both sides of this . iMO there is no way this car should have been allowed to leave the shop. It wasn't even ready for the paint booth yet from the pics I see. Everyone is all siding with mark because he came on here and typed. I'm glad that he did and I hope this situation makes him tend to this kind of thing better BEFORE it leaves the shop.

The episode where this Charger was on the rack getting its parts fit and welded, Mark had to come sign off on that, so where were the rest of his checks and signing off .

By the way everyone . If you really care about you reputation, your standards are the same for all of your work. Period. Not just show cars ........etc.......

Like I said before I see the errors on both sides of this but we don't have enough of the story to decide where to place our allegiance.......

The guy that owns the car may be trying to take advantage of the situation , but the shop created the situation by shipping sub par work. Period
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

moparnation74

Quote from: Moparman01 on September 23, 2014, 11:35:12 PMAnd, if you can drop, or can afford a loan for a $50+ grand car, why can't you spend a grand or 2 for a daily beater driver?

Not an accurate statement in today's world.  The rule of thumb is never buy a higher end used vehicle, unless the dealer pre certified it and it carries a warranty.  The models that do not carry that means those past owners could only afford the car and not the maintenance.  Rex is no different from those same individuals.  He simply got approved for the loan to purchase a car.  They cannot afford for anything else.
   Same goes for people that are, "House Poor."  They simply can make that monthly payment only but are in trouble in anything needs immediate repair.

Hard for most of us to understand that manage our credit and finances adequately.

moparnation74

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 24, 2014, 07:24:52 AM
I see the mistakes on both sides of this . iMO there is no way this car should have been allowed to leave the shop. It wasn't even ready for the paint booth yet from the pics I see. Everyone is all siding with mark because he came on here and typed. I'm glad that he did and I hope this situation makes him tend to this kind of thing better BEFORE it leaves the shop.

The episode where this Charger was on the rack getting its parts fit and welded, Mark had to come sign off on that, so where were the rest of his checks and signing off .

By the way everyone . If you really care about you reputation, your standards are the same for all of your work. Period. Not just show cars ........etc.......

Like I said before I see the errors on both sides of this but we don't have enough of the story to decide where to place our allegiance.......

The guy that owns the car may be trying to take advantage of the situation , but the shop created the situation by shipping sub par work. Period
Correct, I remember that episode as well and I think he also mentioned something about how it will look once completed. Just saying.

1974dodgecharger

Whats wrong with a start it should of been right the first time.  

If I slept with someone's wife and I go back to say sorry does it make it right?  Hmmmm....maybe it does....

On a side note did mark offer this after the facebook page or before would reveal his true intent...as it seems we know rexs intent..

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 24, 2014, 07:08:32 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 24, 2014, 03:34:01 AM

so your saying that they are both WRONG!!  Yet everyone on here is saying they side with Mark Worman  :scratchchin:

Yes, they were both wrong.....but Mark showed more class by handling this situation and offering a remedy.  Whether or not the remedy was good, bad, or ugly...at least it was a start in the right direction. :Twocents: :Twocents:

TUFCAT

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on September 24, 2014, 08:50:32 AM
Whats wrong with a start it should of been right the first time.  

If I slept with someone's wife and I go back to say sorry does it make it right?  Hmmmm....maybe it does....

No question there!  Its a DAMN SHAME the car left his shop that way and I would be PISSED as well.

I'm not supporting workmanship issues, overspray, missing bolts, cosmetic problems, etc.  That stuff shouldn't be expected in the first place.

Indygenerallee

QuoteI see the mistakes on both sides of this . iMO there is no way this car should have been allowed to leave the shop. It wasn't even ready for the paint booth yet from the pics I see. Everyone is all siding with mark because he came on here and typed. I'm glad that he did and I hope this situation makes him tend to this kind of thing better BEFORE it leaves the shop.

X2  I remember seeing Mark walk around the Charger and state how they got the gap tolerances better than factory on this particular Charger..... I think Mark needs a eye exam.  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Troy

Funny, this thread reminds me of bad reality TV and it centers around a company who creates bad reality TV. :scratchchin:

Having said that, I haven't read everything and don't know all the details. Buuuut, I'll put some thoughts (from my perspective) out there any way.

How many times have we seen on this site where a car gets wrecked, reveals crappy previous work, and people say "well, at least the old damage will get fixed while they are in there". If this were my car, that's what I'd be wishing for - to get it back even better than it was. Instead, this owner got back a big pile of doodoo. The only thing that would break my heart more than wrecking my car in the first place would be to have it mangled by a place I trusted to do the work that I couldn't. That's like getting kicked in the nuts while you're down!

Not only that, GYC blew their time estimate by 300%. What's that adage about cheap/fast/quality? This was none of them! Do you think Mark Worman would let that slide if it were his own car? Or would he want something more than a promise to do what was supposed to have been done the first time? That's not class - that's CYA. Honestly, I wouldn't have given him a chance to "make it right".

I can certainly understand how someone would be so happy seeing the shiny paint that they miss a lot of details. Heck, I've done similar stupid things on several occasions (which I'll omit the details of). I can also see not wanting to "let go". How many of us would just write off a car? Not many apparently (judging by most of the build threads here). This is where I think a lot of businesses get it wrong. These cars are dreams for most owners. You can treat my beat up old truck like "transportation" but not one of my babies! People aren't expected to be rational when it comes to these cars. I often wonder if I'd end up in jail if someone wrecked one of my cars. What's the penalty for beating someone with a mangled bumper?

It's easy to get sidetracked here. What the owner did prior to putting the car in GYC's hands really doesn't matter. It's a separate story and the background really doesn't make a damn bit of difference. While it may be interesting to debate getting a loan on a classic car or daily driving a classic car (I've done both) it really has no bearing on what happened after the wreck. No one would know (or care) if GYC hadn't jacked up the car and forced the owner to make demands for restitution.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

tucknroll

im sure mark himself could do a perfect restoration but he's a tv star now and can't do everything himself. i would send my charger there any day. rex is going to loose big-time on this. if he can't afford to pay his bills, he can't pay the lawyers like mark can.

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

charge69

Hey Troy,  that is exactly how I feel ! I just couldn't quite put it into words as you have done. Finally, after 3 times longer than promised, handing this car back to me in the condition it was in when he "declared" it finished would have been an insult to my intelligence and he wouldn't get a second shot at it!

Regardless of Rex's mishandling of the situation, I would've certainly told the world of GYC's shoddy attempt!

As to the post while I was typing my post: how do you figure Rex is going to lose? His lawyers will be paid by Mark's insurance also, more than likely. If it drags out then Rex might have to find a way to, financially, get by until it is settled but my money would be on Rex and ALL the lawyers (both sides) coming out ahead in this one.

tucknroll

im just saying lets be honest. rich people dont lose in court.  thats assuming mark is rich.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

tucknroll

everyday people are so out of their league in court that i wouldn't be surprised of rex ends up with no charger and in a hole financialy when this is over.

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Troy

Quote from: Aero426 on September 24, 2014, 10:51:58 AM
Mud puppy.
Which brings up something else I forgot to mention...

Mark wants a detailed line item estimate of what has to be done to fix the car so he can see what all his shop is responsible for. He brings up all the things that they had to compromise on to keep from dealing with original problems. Was this list supplied to the owner? If the original floors had to be hammered and patched to keep from opening up a bigger issue was the owner told about this and given an explanation of why it was necessary? It goes both ways. If you're going to intentionally do something incorrectly it better have approval. In my business everything gets approval or I don't touch it. Lesson learned there. In my opinion, if his shop touched it and didn't fix the underlying issue then he's still responsible for the full cost of repair since his shop dropped the ball in the first place. Everything on the back half of that car was mangled.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

2592 creston

Quote from: Troy on September 24, 2014, 11:33:21 AM
Mud puppy.

Mark wants a detailed line item estimate of what has to be done to fix the car so he can see what all his shop is responsible for. He brings up all the things that they had to compromise on to keep from dealing with original problems. Was this list supplied to the owner? If the original floors had to be hammered and patched to keep from opening up a bigger issue was the owner told about this and given an explanation of why it was necessary? It goes both ways. If you're going to intentionally do something incorrectly it better have approval. In my business everything gets approval or I don't touch it. Lesson learned there. In my opinion, if his shop touched it and didn't fix the underlying issue then he's still responsible for the full cost of repair since his shop dropped the ball in the first place. Everything on the back half of that car was mangled.

Troy

We are all big boys..don't take it home if its not right,then cry about it later!!  Got what he paid for!!!!POS to start with!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 2592 creston on September 24, 2014, 12:03:10 PM
Quote from: Troy on September 24, 2014, 11:33:21 AM
Mud puppy.

Troy

We are all big boys..don't take it home if its not right,then cry about it later!!  Got what he paid for!!!!POS to start with!

Not sure on this, but didn't the car get shipped back to the customer?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .