News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clunking noise from 727

Started by grdprx, September 21, 2014, 09:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

Started the Charger up for a drive today, I let it sit a few minutes to warm up, came back to it and there was a clunking noise coming from the tranny.   I could feel the vibration on the outer case via the hole in the floor over it.  It may have had low fluid, but I drove the car Friday for about 20 minutes without any problems.  I'm going to drop the pan, anything I should look for?

68 Charger with a 440, transmission was used out of a 65 Newport. Have run it for 3-4 years with out issue, although I've been inside it a few times. It needed the reverse band replaced when I got it and I also swapped the input shaft a year or 2 ago.  Put a few hundred miles on since that though...

c00nhunterjoe

I would pop the inspection cover and check the flywheel bolts first. Also try to get a good look where it bolts to the crank, i have seen them crack more then once.

grdprx

I did pull the cover, didn't get a chance to rotate it though. I'll check those things first.

John_Kunkel

You have a '68 with a '65 cable-shift trans? Interesting.

Ditto on the cracked flexplate.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

grdprx

c00nhunterjoe called it, loose bolts on the flex plate. One was finger loose. Thanks for calming me down and pointing me in the right direction. I'll fire her up tomorrow afternoon, but all should be well again.

Thanks guys!   :2thumbs:

c00nhunterjoe

A dab of blue loctite on each bolt will help.

grdprx

Ill do that this weekend, thank you.