News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cobra kit cars

Started by Dreamcar, September 18, 2014, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

I was thinking that maybe someday it would be fun to build a cobra replica. The modern kits are very well engineered now. Considering the rarity and price of a real cobra, and even the cost of the continuation series from shelby, do you think the replicas are "wrong"?  I think there's over a 100k kits built now, and something like 500 originals (289 and 427). Is it a case of real or nothing? In a way, the first cobras are pre built cars from AC with Ford engines put in by Shelby...kind of a kit car too :shruggy:

Seeing the in car videos from replica driviners makes me think it looks like fun. I dunno
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Baldwinvette77

Replicas are pretty much all that are left, besides here in canada those aluminum bodies wouldn't last a year, fiberglass is much better  :yesnod:

How is the charger coming anyway?  :popcrn:

Dreamcar

I'm almost done installing the new passenger door pillar and donor windshield corner. The other door pillar is next, followed by the donor cowl. I have a donor roof to prep and new inner fenders to installed, but i dont know if i'll get to it before the snow flies.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Ghoste

You might be surprised how many aluminum bodied cars are in Canada, it isn't like they are driven in the salt weather.  There are some excellent Cobra kits out there to fit a variety of budgets.

Aero426

The real cars are now well out of reach of just about all of us.   I don't think the replicas are "wrong".   They certainly promoted the brand and helped keep it alive.   Even $helby himself saw there was money being left on the table and got into the replica act in later years.   The only way I would accept one is in aluminum with the right looking interior and real knock offs.    In other words, it can't look like a kit.  Some Cobras look cheesy.  

An alternative is to buy a first generation Viper and get the real deal.  

Baldwinvette77

Viper power cobra you say?  :scratchchin:

Ponch ®

id take a replica in a second . You can pretty much build it the way you want (including safety upgrades like better brakes, etc) AND you can flog it hard without worrying about wrecking a rare piece of history.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

crj1968

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 18, 2014, 09:46:07 PM
id take a replica in a second . You can pretty much build it the way you want (including safety upgrades like better brakes, etc) AND you can flog it hard without worrying about wrecking a rare piece of history.

This ^

JB400

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on September 18, 2014, 08:05:11 PM
Viper power cobra you say?  :scratchchin:
Shelby was a Performance Consultant for the Viper program when it started.  That's what he's talking about.

http://www.shelby-dodge.com/viper.html

myk

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 18, 2014, 09:46:07 PM

This THIS...If I could only own one car it would be a Shelby Cobra 427 replica.  That car, be it in true or kit form is the ultimate driving machine to me, every other car be damned...

Ghoste

I think what Doug is saying is that you will tie up just as much money in a Cobra kit car as a 1st generation Viper.

Mytur Binsdirti

I think a Cobra is one of those cars that would be a blast to have for a month. After that, the reality of what it is will set in.

Old Moparz

The Cobra kits are nice & I see nothing wrong with them at all, & have the same feelings on the steel Dynacorn bodies because they are almost like a kit, anyway. One of my friends built a Cobra from a kit & did 99% of the work himself, including the paint. It looks great, he drives it all over & loves it. As a matter of fact, he sold his late model Corvette once he finished it & likes it better. He did his on a very small budget over a few years. It's a small block Ford & if I recall, a 289. The body is slightly longer than a typical one & he's tall so he needed the extra leg room.

Here's a few photos from the day he stopped by my house....
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Dreamcar

Aero426

I like the idea of a Beck Lister.    The real Listers were racing cars made in England with Jaguar power, later small block Chevy power.    The looks aren't for everyone, but I like 'em.

wingcar

A Cobra "Kit Car" would make for a great "sunny day, weekend car".   Most of the good "kits" are themselves not all that cheap, but if I were going to build one, I would chose one of the better "top-end" kits on the market that actually copies the original in every aspect.  Just remember that they are all motor with little in the way of creature comforts...they were real hot rods.  You could buy a Hellcat for less, but then I guess that's not really the point.
I actually feel sort of sorry for the owners of "real" Cobra's since anytime I see one, I automatically think it's a "kit" car.  LOL
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Dreamcar

Quote from: wingcar on September 19, 2014, 08:53:46 AM
A Cobra "Kit Car" would make for a great "sunny day, weekend car".   Most of the good "kits" are themselves not all that cheap, but if I were going to build one, I would chose one of the better "top-end" kits on the market that actually copies the original in every aspect.  Just remember that they are all motor with little in the way of creature comforts...they were real hot rods.  You could buy a Hellcat for less, but then I guess that's not really the point.
I actually feel sort of sorry for the owners of "real" Cobra's since anytime I see one, I automatically think it's a "kit" car.  LOL

I think that speaks to what I was asking about...is the Cobra copy a car that's generally accepted by car enthusiast, even though it's a copy of the real thing?  If they started making Charger copies, there's no way I'd want one. I would want a real one. But, the real Cobra is just so rare end priceless, do enthusiast accept them more then other "copies" of famous cars? If I did build and own one, how would I feel hearing someone say "it's just a kit"?

Indygenerallee

I would much rather have do a Cobra Daytona coupe kit car, those things were pure sexy and what the Viper GTS was designed after!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ponch ®

There's a guy that brings out an original Cobra to local cruises. And its supposed to be a rare one (even within the original Cobra universe = its worth $$$) - dont remember why but I'll try to find out.  He's usually at Bob's Big Boy on Friday nights...I'm heading out there tonite. I'll take some pics if he's there.

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on September 19, 2014, 06:49:01 AM
I think a Cobra is one of those cars that would be a blast to have for a month. After that, the reality of what it is will set in.

Zero f--ks given. I still want one.

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 19, 2014, 09:25:08 AM
I would much rather have do a Cobra Daytona coupe kit car, those things were pure sexy and what the Viper GTS was designed after!

For real. The Daytona Coupe is probably my favorite non-MOPAR car of all time. Definitely on my list of "Cars I will own when Im rich and famous", even in replica form. Preferably a replica, actually, for the same reasons I stated above re: the Cobra.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Troy

Love Cobras! Real ones are out of almost everyone's budget. A "good" (accurate) kit will set you back a big chunk of change. Of course, 98% of the people looking at it will have no idea if it's correct or not. Build what makes you happy. Superformance is just up the road from me so I go in and drool over their various kits (Cobras, Daytonas, etc.) on a regular basis. Factory Five kits aren't nearly correct but very drivable. Don't bother with a big block - a stroker 302 or 351 is way more power than you'll ever need. Modern technology really makes cars like these more livable.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dreamcar

I'd even consider a modern Coyote 5.0.

Ponch ®

I've always been tempted by some of the built replicas I see for sale around here anywhere from $20K-40K....but its kinda of a crapshoot to buy somebody else's project. Who knows how they built it or what corners they cut...

RIDELIKEHELL

Took a few pics of this one at a local show
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Dreamcar

Do you know what brand of kit that was? ERA, Kirkham, Factory Five, etc?

RIDELIKEHELL

not sure but it was beautiful & sounded nasty  :drool5:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73