News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Those ground straps from the chassis to the pavement question

Started by Ghoste, August 27, 2014, 11:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

It wasn't static on the ground, it was the build up of static caused by friction of the body going through the air   :2thumbs:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ODZKing on August 27, 2014, 02:34:45 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on August 27, 2014, 11:30:27 AM
They used to be common but not so much now, the ground straps that people put from the chassis and they drag on the pavement, for radio reception I believe, would these things not be a great conductor during a thunderstorm?
Do you stay up nights thinking about stuff like this?   :pity:

Yes he does unfortunately.  :nana:

Ghoste

Bob T

Fairly regularly I've had to use cherry pickers or scissor lift platforms for work. Most of them don't have static discharge straps installed but I always make one and put it on if we are working inside a building that has a painted floor like a newspaper printing press hall.
The nylon composite wheels' charge builds up after a short time driving the machine and the first piece of earthed steelwork you touch against generates a loud crack and usually a blue spark when the charge dissipates between the operator cage and a roof truss or support beam. It hurts like hell if its you grabbing a light fitting or similar too and become the first bond point.
I used to get the apprentices to grab the chain but they wised up. :shruggy:  :smilielol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.