News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 driveline

Started by Ranger Max, August 25, 2014, 10:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger Max

I needed to cut my driveline down for my gearvendors.

I heard b-body drivelines are getting scarce and I should probably cut up a different driveline.

Was wondering if this was true...if so what models should I look for.

firefighter3931

I would look for a driveshaft out of a heavy C-body to cut down. It should be stronger/heavier duty.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ranger Max

Will any C-body work? (same size u-joints?)

Thanks Ron

Ghoste

Or get a custom made one from a shop.  A lot of heavy truck repair places do customs driveshafts.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ranger Max on August 25, 2014, 11:10:45 AM
Will any C-body work? (same size u-joints?)

Thanks Ron

Any C-body shaft will work but if you can find one with the same size joints it certainly makes life easier.  :yesnod:

If you can't find the matching u-joint size there is the option of using a conversion joint. I've done it before going from a 7260 driveshaft to a 7290 yoke. Works fine on a street car and even one that sees some track beating occasionally  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68pplcharger

I just had a custom aluminum drive shaft made for mine. the steel versions are about $300 bucks if they make it from scratch.

MSRacing89

Quote from: Ranger Max on August 25, 2014, 10:31:15 AM
I needed to cut my driveline down for my gearvendors.

I heard b-body drivelines are getting scarce and I should probably cut up a different driveline.

Was wondering if this was true...if so what models should I look for.

I have a just modified B-body shaft for a Gear Vendors sitting on my shelf.  I built another one attempting to eliminate the dreaded "vibration" that seems to plague many of these Gear Vendors set-ups.  I would suggest saving yourself the heartache and go to a Carbon Fiber shaft or give a go with Aluminum.  Either way good luck and report back with how it all works.   
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Ranger Max

Thanks for all the information.

RallyeMike

Call Denny's Driveshafts and have them make an aluminum one for you. You will be very happy.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ChargerKen

Could someone explain the advantages of an aluminum driveshaft , other than weight ? I have a vibration I can't get rid of after installing a tko 5 speed.
1968 Charger R/T
1978 Power Wagon Stepside
1979 Lil Red Express
1979 Power Wagon 200
2013 Durango R/T

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MSRacing89 on August 25, 2014, 05:02:06 PM
the dreaded "vibration" that seems to plague many of these Gear Vendors set-ups. 

is more likely related to driveshaft angle than driveshaft imbalance.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.