News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Road Trip to Alaska-Coffee Table Book Finally Done-thanks Cody Cole!

Started by taxspeaker, August 24, 2014, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan_TA

If you spot a 15" trim ring for a Rallye wheel in a ditch close to Tok, Alaska, it has been missing since June 2003.

Mark H

Will you be going through Wyoming at all when you go from MT to CO.

taxspeaker

If so it will be the eastern edge of the state

DeltaV

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

Mark H

I live in Gillette WY not far from Devils Tower if you come through I would love to see the Superbird!

taxspeaker

Will know in a few weeks! Will pm you 2 days before-somewhere around July 6

taxspeaker

An update-the minor oil leak mentioned 2 weeks ago was simply the oil pan drain plug needed one more turn. I rain-x'd the windows today (the car is in my home garage out of the elements) because I know there will be a lot of rain on the trip. We did replace (and keep) the original aerodynamic wiper blades with temporary Bosch rain blades for the trip.

Only other update is for the tail mounted GoPro. Ryan has redesigned and reprinted with the 3-D printer the mount to make it easier for me to pull the camera and battery every evening.

I have double-checked the mechanical supply list, added a clear carpet runner and another electronic ignition module to the parts store. I wish I had changed the fuel filter one more time before I lost the lift in the shop we just sold, but didn't get done.

Mechanical weaknesses that are in the back of my mind-fuel system even though it is a 100% new tank, lines, filter, pump and rebuilt carb, it is just finicky; rear inner wheel bearings just because; brakes-even though fully rebuilt I did not do anything with the power booster; and the electrical system because it is 45 years old.

Will have one last post a few days before the trip. The entire duration of the trip, sadly, is based on the afternoon of June 23rd. I am working in Grand Rapids until 3:30 and have to drive 56 miles to Muskegon MI to catch the Lake Express ferry, so there is no room for error there. My backup plan options are to spend the night in Muskegon and try for the early morning ferry the next day, or drive up to Ludington and try for the 8:45 pm ferry that gets to Wisconsin at 11:30; or drive south around and through Chicago, or drive north and cross at Mackinaw Island through Michigan's upper peninsula. I am leaning towards the next morning ferry backup plan. but open to comments.

We ordered a satellite phone this week for a 1 month rental for about $180, plus usage-it gives peace of mind to family members! I only pay for outgoing calls and can receive calls and texts for free-number available if you want it.

Mark H

1970Moparmann

There are a lot of members I'm sure that will provide a hand if need be.   I'm in a suburb of Chicago, so if anything comes up if you decide to drive through Chi-town, feel free to let me know. 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

taxspeaker

Thanks Mike. After looking at maps and schedule if I miss the 4:45 ferry I will head south around Lake Michigan through Chicago and then on up to Wisconsin dells for the 2nd night. Won't know until 4:45 on the 23rd when the ferry leaves!

VTMopar

Good Luck

We exchanged emails last year, as I drove my '13 Challenger from Vermont to Fairbanks and back (15,000 miles; 10 weeks).   I had an incredible adventure and I know you will too.   

Have fun, be safe and watch out for moose!

VT Mopar
VT Mopar

taxspeaker

Indiana allows you to pay a $37 fee to get "Year of Manufacture" plates attached for use as your regular license plate. I just got mine approved today, just in tome for the road trip. The previous plate "70SBird" will be posted in the license plate sign forest at Watson Lake Yukon Territory in a few weeks.

dads_69

hey. I'm in Wasilla,Alaska it's on your way to Fairbanks. Be great to meet up & talk mopars over lunch or quick dinner. PM for my cell #.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

taxspeaker

Done
Thanks Mark-11 days from start-I am watching the tundra fires in Yukon but they don't seem to be at the highway yet. The fires at Tok appear to be out from what I can tell

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: taxspeaker on May 31, 2015, 09:21:30 AM
Thanks Mike. After looking at maps and schedule if I miss the 4:45 ferry I will head south around Lake Michigan through Chicago and then on up to Wisconsin dells for the 2nd night. Won't know until 4:45 on the 23rd when the ferry leaves!

Be sure to time your trip and route through Chicago carefully.  Traffic is ALWAYS backed up, but the rush hours are worse.

Good luck and have a great trip!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

dads_69

Hey right on. Hopefully while you visit here I will be able to show you another Superbird not far from my shop.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

taxspeaker

Note: The detailed post and pictures/GPS location will be at www.superbirdnorth.com

Well, planning and preparation is complete. I am completing my last work trip coming home from a Tucson/Spokane/Baltimore travel week and when I get home tonight I will buy the 1 last thing that is still missing from the list. At the Atlanta airport today during changeover I will exchange for some Canadian money. On Sunday we will remount the tail mounted GoPro video camera, as well as the inside mounted GoPro video camera, load up the quadcopter drone in its new case, and do one last check ride. Departure scheduled for Monday around 11:00am.

I met with a friend from Fairbanks on Thursday (thanks Bernadette) who did warn me about border issues with the old car coming in to Alaska, and then another friend in Tucson yesterday who discussed the fires. As far as border issues-other than curiosity regarding the car I just don't see an issue there unless cars with 6′ wings aren't allowed into Canada! I am crossing midway in North Dakota early Thursday morning, so I will find out there. As far as tundra/forest fires I will keep track from Whitehorse and either bypass Fairbanks on the outbound trip to avoid them and go directly via the cutoff to Anchorage or continue as planned.

I will make one last post as I leave on Monday and then post in the evenings as possible. Pictures and videos will be sent to Ryan to upload as he sees fit. I do have a satellite phone now and will provide that number to anyone that PM's me but it is $7 per minute to call it. I believe text messages are free but cannot verify that without re-reading the user guide.

Thanks to everyone for the messages of encouragement and support-particularly my friends from Iceland from my old days there at the NATO Keflavik Air Station!-Lars you are quite the friend after 30+ years. And anyone who knows my wife tell her it will be ok!
Bob

Bob Jennings

taxspeaker

Trip started at 11:00am today. 400 miles done out of 8,000. Hotter outside than an oven and a black interior with high humidity reminded me why I got air conditioning. Coming days should be cooler as I get north. No real issues today but the GoPro took lots of pictures and the other GoPro filmed the whole thing. I have 75 minutes to make a 56 mile drive tomorrow to make a ferry across Lake Michigan and avoid routing through Chicago, but once in WIsconsin Tuesday night clear sailing. Had a scare on oil usage but I think I just misread the stick. Details on the other website. Will hopefully post picture on the Lake Express ferry tomorrow night if I can make it.

73rallye440magnum

I am in northwest Wisconsin about an hour north of 94 and 2 hours east of twin cities metro.

If you need resources along the way, send a PM.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

AKcharger

Dans 68

Have a fantastic time! I'll be cruising up the inland passage (Royal Caribbean) from Vancouver to Anchorage about the same time you will be making your way up! As I look over the beautiful coast I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and your journey. Want to trade trips?  ;)

I'll be at the Anchorage Downtown Marriott on July 3rd, and the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge on the 4th if you want/need an attaboy. I'll look for you in Anchorage, with a cold beer kept near.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

taxspeaker

Well overheated on Dan Ryan expresswY in downtown Chicago sitting on side of road. Just letting it cool down until bumper to bumper traffic is gone

taxspeaker

After 3 hours of stop and go, needing gas, overheating, and more I finally got out of this miserable place! On the other hand so far this has been a fantastic trip. The day's log is posted on the other website, here is a picture on the Dan Ryan in Chicago at 6:15 pm. Minor oil consumption and fuel leak at fill up but no issues enough to stop things.

winged69

I am Kelvin in Saskatoon Sask Cda. You can e-mail me if you cross to Canada. I am on different shifts but will do some way to catch up to you.

hemi68charger

Quote from: taxspeaker on June 23, 2015, 06:01:41 PM
Well overheated on Dan Ryan expresswY in downtown Chicago sitting on side of road. Just letting it cool down until bumper to bumper traffic is gone

I feel your pain... There's one thing I hate living in Houston is it takes forever to get anywhere and on ANY given day, you're bound to hit bumper to bumper traffic. My Daytona doesn't particularly like it............  Glad to read you were able to just chill out and press forward........   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection