News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cool gen 3's?

Started by euroZ06, August 24, 2014, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

Now those two are not so much street cars ha ha. Im looking at cool gen 3's that are street cars!
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Ghoste

True, but they weren't tame looking.  :lol:

gonzoe

heres mine 17 inch rims and lowered a bit

ACUDANUT

A12 Superbee

That's a nice looking car Gonzo.

The only part of the 3rd Gen's that I think they got wrong was the quarter window. If it looked like this, I'd own one!

A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

ACUDANUT

BROCK

The thing about the 71 / 72 is the hips (quarter panels) just are not as bold as 2nd
gen or the 73 / 74 variant.  They really need the R/T stripes to look right.  Lowering
really helps too.  The things that make the KWS Charger (may he recover it in perfect
condition) are the wheels, the manner in which the rain gutters were shaved & the
bottom section of the front bumper.  While I do not like vinyl tops, Chargers were
from the 68 redesign meant to make use of a contrasting color on the top (above the
fuselage)!  This is much more true for the 3rd gens IMHO.  Somehow my 70 works
without the vinyl top - but my 72 really does need a contrasting color to break it up
a bit (won't be vinyl though).

I like the Lites posted & 11 wide!!!!!!!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

JB400

I like the looks of this one:

Have you considered the stripes down the side for 73/4?  How about the 71 R/T stripe?

I wouldn't black out the bumpers.  Maybe tuck them and paint them body color (like in the pic), but not black.

I'd also consider swapping out the grilles for 71 models if you want to keep the exposed headlights.  Or, swapping for wire mesh like on Petty's car would look ok

Wicked72

the one youtube vid of that grey charger. thats what im doing with my taillights. ill be blacking out my grill and taillight bezels. semi flat black hood. lowering the whole thing 2inchs. im not a huge fan of big rims but im going to run either 17s or 18s at some point mainly to clear upgraded disk brakes. but for now i have my extra wide 15s using dog dishes all in semi flat black. hopefully ill get some work done on my car and show off the side marker conversion.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

EccentricMagpies

This car has a nice low stance to it.  (newGen Splitters)

'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

tan top

for some reason ive always liked the 74 charger shape ! roof line  side rear glass etc , :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: tan top on August 29, 2014, 05:26:31 PM
for some reason ive always liked the 74 charger shape ! roof line  side rear glass etc , :coolgleamA:

There ya go A12 superbee.  Dream come true
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

72chrgrally

We currently have a couple in the inventory.

el dub

I'm liken this, maybe it's the grass?
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: 72chrgrally on August 31, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
We currently have a couple in the inventory.

Love that color?  Butterscotch?

Nice looking Runner too El dub
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

R6red4spd69RT

Quote from: A12 Superbee on August 28, 2014, 10:38:31 PM
That's a nice looking car Gonzo.

The only part of the 3rd Gen's that I think they got wrong was the quarter window. If it looked like this, I'd own one!

Yeah, I always thought the same thing.

That's why I think the 73/74 re-style quarter window works better.

I still really like the body though.

chargerjy9

I'm a grandpa.
My 73 SE 400 magnum certainly does not look like a grandpa's car, even tho it is bone stock. When I was 23 I had a new 73 SE 400 magnum, red w/ white top and Brougham interior. IMO one of the coolest looking, sporty cars offered at that time. I love the gill slot opera window on my 73's, distinctive and no one else had them, then.  with that rear quarter glass configuration, the vinyl roof is integral to the design.
Personally, I am old school, never have been a fan of non factory painted bumpers, low profile tires, and although, I have always loved the hidden headlight look, to me it doesn't look right on 73 or 74 B Bodies. I think the 73/74 is the best looking 3rd gens,sinuous body, great proportions,  sexy, curvy lines, great stance. pulled up next to a new Chrysler 300 yesterday was amazed when comparing the height of my car to that, longer, lower, wider. roof height seems 6 to 8 inches lower.

these are all just my own opinions, my observations.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

TUFCAT

Quote from: chargerjy9 on September 03, 2014, 07:11:17 AM
I'm a grandpa.
My 73 SE 400 magnum certainly does not look like a grandpa's car, even tho it is bone stock. When I was 23 I had a new 73 SE 400 magnum, red w/ white top and Brougham interior. IMO one of the coolest looking, sporty cars offered at that time. I love the gill slot opera window on my 73's, distinctive and no one else had them, then.  with that rear quarter glass configuration, the vinyl roof is integral to the design.
Personally, I am old school, never have been a fan of non factory painted bumpers, low profile tires, and although, I have always loved the hidden headlight look, to me it doesn't look right on 73 or 74 B Bodies. I think the 73/74 is the best looking 3rd gens,sinuous body, great proportions,  sexy, curvy lines, great stance. pulled up next to a new Chrysler 300 yesterday was amazed when comparing the height of my car to that, longer, lower, wider. roof height seems 6 to 8 inches lower.

As a kid we had a 1972 Charger SE and I remember liking the 73 SE better at the time.  They were very popular and sold extremely well.  I especially liked the tail-lights. One of Dad's friends at Chrysler had a '72 SE also.  He must have really liked those '73 tail-lights, because he put a set of '73 tails on his '72 SE when they came out.  

ACUDANUT

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 03, 2014, 07:46:55 AM
Quote from: chargerjy9 on September 03, 2014, 07:11:17 AM
I'm a grandpa.
My 73 SE 400 magnum certainly does not look like a grandpa's car, even tho it is bone stock. When I was 23 I had a new 73 SE 400 magnum, red w/ white top and Brougham interior. IMO one of the coolest looking, sporty cars offered at that time. I love the gill slot opera window on my 73's, distinctive and no one else had them, then.  with that rear quarter glass configuration, the vinyl roof is integral to the design.
Personally, I am old school, never have been a fan of non factory painted bumpers, low profile tires, and although, I have always loved the hidden headlight look, to me it doesn't look right on 73 or 74 B Bodies. I think the 73/74 is the best looking 3rd gens,sinuous body, great proportions,  sexy, curvy lines, great stance. pulled up next to a new Chrysler 300 yesterday was amazed when comparing the height of my car to that, longer, lower, wider. roof height seems 6 to 8 inches lower.

s a kid we had a 1972 Charger SE and I remember liking the 73 SE better at the time.  They were very popular and sold extremely well.  I especially liked the tail-lights. One of Dad's friends at Chrysler had a '72 SE also.  He must have really liked those '73 tail-lights, because he put a set of '73 tails on his '72 SE when they came out.  

Really, a 73/74 Charger looks better than a 71/72.   :smilielol: :lol:

TUFCAT

No....I said.... I thought a 1973 SE, looked better than a 1972 SE back then.

Ghoste

Based on the sales figures, a lot of others back then must have agreed with you.

archie360

Seems the quarter window's of the 71-72s is what draws the most criticism.  I think they give the car a more radical look but may not flow with the design as well as the later ones.  Hard to say which one is better, having owned all four years at one time or another they all rock!
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

workworkwork

I like all years of the third gen. But, since the 74 Charger was my first car and I still remember my Dad buying it off the show room floor I will forever be a fan of the 73/74. The bucket seats are a must have for me. I really like the 74 steering wheel. Although the 74 Charger SE I purchases recently has kicked my butt in terms of neediness, I still love the look. When the car broke down recently I had at least 10 people stop and ask me if I needed help and several of them commented on how much they liked the car. I just wish more parts were reproduced for these cars to keep them looking great. I can't imagine anyone thinking the third gens look like a grandpa car. They look like they go fast just sitting there.

ODZKing

Work3 - as I said in the other post. Don't let the neediness keep you from enjoying the car. It will be one day what you dreamed of, like any hobby all it takes is time and money!!
My first car that I actually bought was a brand new 73 SE. When we were looking for a second classic, I originally wanted a 71 Roadrunner, but that is another story.  I found my 73 in Indiana and it had come from California. I had a fellow go look at it but his opinion and mine, as I found out differed quite a bit on what was "worth it" after I received the car.   :o    (Moral there, always go look at a car yourself).
Anyway, since it was from California, it had NO rot at all. BUT the car I thought I was going to be able to drive for a while and fix up gradually turned out to need EVERYTHING! Unsafe to drive as-is everything!
So that is why this 73 is a clone of my first 73 and I'm happy with my decision.  Time and money!   :icon_smile_big:

Wookie316

1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30