News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cool gen 3's?

Started by euroZ06, August 24, 2014, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

In my view the gen 3 became a bit tamed, not as cool and menancing as gen 2. I personally have 73, 440/4spd, its kinda of cool looking... I would love to see more cool looking gen 3's, what u have done to it, and how.mim thinking of maybe getting aftermarket rims for it (with low profile tires), but dont know what style to go with... Im thinking of painting the bumpers, but not sure if to do body color or black. Maybe making the headlights into angel eyes? Some cool stuff is done to gen 2's, and i want to see if some gone same route with gen 3. Or is gen 3 doomed to be grandpa's car?
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

euroZ06

74Rallye

The only mod I would consider for a car as nice as yours would be hideaway headlights.

euroZ06

Id love to get that, but my understanding is that for 73 it is extremely difficult to do. Also, i really want to paint or do something about that bumper filler... Its like rubbing sand in my eyes every time i look at it.

74Rallye

The hard part is finding the parts for the front grill.

To get rid of the filler strip you need a pair of 71-72 rear bumper mounts, for the front you cut slots in the brackets where they mount to the frame.

71 SE3834V

When you're all done it'll look something like this:

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

euroZ06

Thanks guys. I saw a car that had filler painted in black. The ones i have seem to be in good shape. Anyone tried it?

Is there instruction on how to do hideaways? I really want to paint the whole front grill black... Not sure if to plasti dip or just regular black...

Thanks for inputs

71 SE3834V

Until you mentioned it I hadn't noticed that the fillers were painted black. I had only seen this car in the dark and it was 3 or 4 yrs ago. Looking at the pics it almost looks like the bumpers are black chrome. I don't think they were but I bet that would look cool.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

euroZ06

Considering material, what kind of paint can i use? Can i just spray can them? Plasti dip?

archie360

You didn't actually label all third gen's as GRANDPA's Cars, Right?
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

polywideblock

of course he didn't      :rotz:      don't most grandpa's drive brand X cars

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

euroZ06

Didnt mean to offend anyone  :angel:

It just that you see a lot of cool gen 2's around, with wheels, with this and that and the other... And then u see gen 3's that mostly look... Well... Like something your grandparents would drive. I am young, and want to spice up my gen 3 but still have it look classy. I think as of now it already does, but i want few more touches to further separate it from the crowd. I dont want to form a new path, and rather follow someone who already accomplished that and get some ideas. I am really loving the idea of painting the fillers black, as they are a sore eye to me. I also want to paint the whole grill black and perhaps add hideaways (would love to see blacked out grill). I saw one gen 3 with body color bumpers, but want to see more (seems like a bit more expensive than what i want to spend right now).

pmike

I got my '73 couple of months ago, and had not yet had time to cool it down but hopefully will get there someday :)

I have been looking for role models too, and KWS' stolen charger (see pinned threads) is definitely cool..

I have been thinking about grilles and somehow the hideaways in many cases add to the roundness of the car too much for me, I like more square shapes and I think I will go for the '71 grilles blacked out.  My bumpers aren't in best shape so I am thinking about painting them black, and will probably go plum crazy for rest of the car if I can get it painted in near future. I will have to test if the current paint will boil under a new paint, to see if the car has to be fully blasted or could we paint it over. 

I will tuck my bumpers in, front should be doable with the original brackets and I think I will fabricate rear brackets myself to get best possible fit, and to avoid having to order used 71-72 brackets from overseas..

euroZ06

Quote from: pmike on August 25, 2014, 12:39:28 AM
I got my '73 couple of months ago, and had not yet had time to cool it down but hopefully will get there someday :)

I have been looking for role models too, and KWS' stolen charger (see pinned threads) is definitely cool..

I have been thinking about grilles and somehow the hideaways in many cases add to the roundness of the car too much for me, I like more square shapes and I think I will go for the '71 grilles blacked out.  My bumpers aren't in best shape so I am thinking about painting them black, and will probably go plum crazy for rest of the car if I can get it painted in near future. I will have to test if the current paint will boil under a new paint, to see if the car has to be fully blasted or could we paint it over. 

I will tuck my bumpers in, front should be doable with the original brackets and I think I will fabricate rear brackets myself to get best possible fit, and to avoid having to order used 71-72 brackets from overseas..

Ha ha, looks like we are in the same boat, my car is raised just like yours. I was thinking of painting plum blue too, but its $8k, do i figured ill stay with red and black scheme. Ill keep my bumper filler and paint it black, i think it'll look nice, and then black out the grill with a red strip. Would love to do red bumpers, but i think ill use that budget to fix some rust on my doors.

I really want small profile tires, as high profile tires make the car's steering vague. For low profile tires i need different rims, something that will fill in the wheels wells, so 18's? Would love to see some 18's on gen 3

pmike

Here are some modded 3rd gens from youtube;

This one has low profile tires, shiny wheels but does not tell which inches,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hh1PNNHADM

This too,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keh2m5Iv_SQ

This has vinyl top removed and I to my eyes the SE opera window does not look too bad here without the vinyl,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJwjJbLn5c

I might even like the fatter tires more than low profile, when looking the videos I am starting to think that shiny low profile wheels may direct the look towards more of a "sports car" than a "muscle car" which I think my charger should look like :) More so than when 2nd gen chargers have modern wheels, as they are more old school with their body lines.

I wouldn't think that fat tires would cause too much softness to steering if everything else is in good order and tire pressures ok? Have you checked your steering coupler?

How ever, this Finnish one manages to look mean even with 20" wheels :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYoo5zZD4lk

71 SE3834V

Quote from: archie360 on August 24, 2014, 10:23:19 PM
You didn't actually label all third gen's as GRANDPA's Cars, Right?

Well mine is technically going to be a grandpa's car soon.  ;D
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

HPP

I think a big detractor to the 3rd gens appearance is all the trim bits, chrome everywhere, and vinyl tops. Get rid of those things and you are well on your way to improvement.

The 3rd gen platform was the most successful series of cars that the Pettys ran. Look at them for some clues for improvement. Significantly lower the car, wide tires back and front, blacked out grills and tail lamps, color keyed bumpers, add some subtle aero devices.

myk

If you want to reduce the "vagueness" of the steering you're going to have to start 'modding the suspension; no wheel and tire combination will take care of those problems, as the suspension was built that way.  Hotchkis.net is where you will need to start looking, and believe me you will feel the difference.  

Not to say that larger wheels and matching tires aren't needed; I'd go with a 17" minimum and the appropriate tires...

EccentricMagpies

This thread started at a good time.  I have similar plans with a black 74 rallye.  I was on the fence with hideaways versus painted black bumpers.  But I dug up an old email for a set of 71 hideaways and a 71 rear bumper and fortunately the guy still had them for sale
I plan to go with oversized rims and a low profile as well.  I like the Lite NewGen that I came across in a magazine yesterday and will look into those. Not sure of the cost still.
These as well...

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/products/wheels/v48
http://www.team3wheels.com/lt_iii.html

But I realize I'll have to do some mods, still learning.  
But the car won't look granny.  
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Wicked72

I need to finally update my build thread for my 72. I think everyone will really like what I am doing to it. a few custom touches that I think will set the car off. hopefully this weekend ill get some more work done and get some pics up. I am doing a side marker like conversion to something i feel is way more fitting for one. I love the look of a nice wide steeles so i picked up the wheel vintques 15x10 rims. and making my own taillights using smoked lexan. I dont want it to look like a show car just something clean and sinester.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on August 24, 2014, 06:49:58 PM
When you're all done it'll look something like this:

No, it still won't have the good looks of a 71/72 Charger.
It's 73/74 wannabe with a cheap price tag.

euroZ06

Quote from: Wicked72 on August 26, 2014, 01:25:53 PM
I need to finally update my build thread for my 72. I think everyone will really like what I am doing to it. a few custom touches that I think will set the car off. hopefully this weekend ill get some more work done and get some pics up. I am doing a side marker like conversion to something i feel is way more fitting for one. I love the look of a nice wide steeles so i picked up the wheel vintques 15x10 rims. and making my own taillights using smoked lexan. I dont want it to look like a show car just something clean and sinester.

Please do

pmike

It would be nice to see, and hopefully fits this topic, examples of cool non factory paint themes on 3rd gens?

Hockey stripes, racing stripes, vintage '70s muscle car motifs if there has been any popular styles? Or have the cars back then been more with either a solid paint or with factory stripes?

v21hemicharger

Here's how I like mine

Ghoste