News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When are our cars gonna decrease in value?

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 24, 2014, 04:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

When are they gonna get down to 800 dollars and 1000 dollars so that i can buy these old cars?

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

They'll get really cheap when most of the guys alive today are dead. 

But at the rate US dollars are inflating . . .  the dollar numbers of the prices probably won't be any lower than they are now!

ACUDANUT

When today's youth who are brainwashed into thinking Japanese cars are better.  No more Buy American, Be American.

RECHRGD

When all of us old baby boomers pass the demand will drop.  There are young guns out there to carry on the hobby, but not enough to keep things at the level they are today.  We were driving these cars when they were new.  We bought them, raced them, cruised them, wrecked them, waxed them and made sweet love in them.  No other generation will ever have that kind of connection to them.....
13.53 @ 105.32

JB400

Days of the $1000 car are gone for the most part, even for the car dealers.  You'll just have to make more money.

Ghoste

The world will run out of fuel about two days before these cars become 800 dollar yard art again.

Nwcharger

I bought a 68 charger shell last summer for 700. Had the left rocker, door jamb and quarter panel cut out. Too bad, was a 383 4 barrel car. Also bought a complete 1970 satellite 2 years ago for 800 bucks and another 70 satellite roller shell for 400. Bought a complete running 70 4 door satellite for 900. There are cars out there you just need to be on the hunt and have the cash in your pocket when they come around. Chargers seem to always cost more. My 68 rt was 2700 and my 69 was 2600 but I honestly lucked out on those.
1969 coronet wagon

myk

I think the 'OP was hoping for a solid, 10 foot, daily driver capable of high 13 seconds in the 1/4 for about $1K...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

tan top

maybe when the  collectors who have got excessive disposable income   etc ,  decide they want to spend their money on something else  ,  & muscle cars  ,  wing / hemi  , & R code  ebody convertables are not the in thing   :shruggy:  :shruggy:    ;) :P :lol:

no offence meant to anyone !!    :cheers: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mike DC

If all the collectors leave the hobby it would turn the $130,000 cars into $30,000 cars.  But it wouldn't do much to make the $30,000 cars any cheaper.

TruckDriver

Quote from: RECHRGD on August 24, 2014, 11:18:57 AM
When all of us old baby boomers pass the demand will drop.  There are young guns out there to carry on the hobby, but not enough to keep things at the level they are today.  We were driving these cars when they were new.  We bought them, raced them, cruised them, wrecked them, waxed them and made sweet love in them.  No other generation will ever have that kind of connection to them.....
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

myk

And that brings up another question that gets brought up a lot around here: will the latest generation of muscle cars enjoy the same collector-status and fame in their futures?  I believe the young gear-heads of today, who can't afford a new Mustang 5.0, Hellcat or Z28 will grow up, become professionals, then hearken back to their younger days and suddenly long to relive their youth by tracking down the aforementioned "new" muscle cars. 

Normally when this comes up I always say, "nah, muscle cars come out regularly now; why would anyone put any value on the cars we're seeing as new, now?"  But I'm living proof that every generation of cars will have its day.  How?  My love for 90's muscle cars is strong.  I grew up with those cars and always dreamed of owning them; I proudly drive and maintain a few examples and wouldn't sell or trade them even for their newest versions.  In conclusion, I believe that these new muscle cars will definitely gain some sort of collector status in the future.  Will there be as much passion for them as the 60's/70's?  Probably not, but they will still be sought after, and I don't see even THOSE cars becoming inexpensive, any time soon...

tan top

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 24, 2014, 07:47:22 PM

If all the collectors leave the hobby it would turn the $130,000 cars into $30,000 cars.  But it wouldn't do much to make the $30,000 cars any cheaper.

:scratchchin: yeah ! I see what your saying  :2thumbs:  think  you might be  right   ,  :yesnod:

Drat & double drat  :cryin:   :P

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

When the housing bubble popped, everything dumped, but by different %, depending on where you lived.

Likewise, I see the 130K car dropping, but also the "low" priced cars, too. 

If nobody wants our cars, they are worthless.  Supply and demand.   No demand = not worth much, if anything...

Very few cars will keep value - They'd have to be on the very RARE side, with low production numbers.

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mike DC

A $30,000 restored 318 or 383 car does not have a lot of "collectible" value when you get right down to it.  It's worth $30k because it would take at least $30k to buy or put together another one similar to it.  The value won't fall below that floor level, not as long as there are lots of guys who like muscle cars. 

A car that is worth an extra $50k over replacement cost because of its VIN & engine numbers?  That is another matter.  That is collectible value in the true sense.

Collectible value fluctuates way more than replacement value.  Lots of guys respect a numbers car but not as many of them are actually willing to pay the extra $50k for it.   

HPP

I agree with Mike on that. Look at the cars from the 20 and 30s. The youth of that era are passing quickly. That means run of the mill cars are dropping in value to a basic bottom end which may be around $30-45k. The true collectibles of the era, Duesenbergs, Auburns, Cords, etc are also dropping in value, but are still million dollar cars.

wingcar

1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Aero426

Quote from: HPP on August 25, 2014, 03:58:52 PM
The true collectibles of the era, Duesenbergs, Auburns, Cords, etc are also dropping in value, but are still million dollar cars.

Those are not dropping in value at all.      Full classics as a whole are doing well. 

Ghoste

LaOtto70Charger

ACD parade this weekend.  I wonder how much overall interest is left in them.  Seems like last couple years had fewer people and cars at the festival.  Car prices are still good though.  Anyone price a 57 Chevy interesting?  Are they holding value?

Ghoste

With the ACD cars, many of the grass roots enthusiasts are gone, those cars are quickly becoming garage art for the very wealthy.  There have been some unthinkable sale records set the last few years.

68charger440

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 24, 2014, 04:41:15 AM
When are they gonna get down to 800 dollars and 1000 dollars so that i can buy these old cars?
I bought mine for $700.  Then again that was 1974 or 1975 :yesnod:
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

A12 Superbee

Quote from: TruckDriver on August 25, 2014, 05:34:49 AM
:iagree:
I disagree, I'm 45 and have an A12 Superbee. I was born in 1968 which is not a factor in why I love these cars, plus I live in Australia so it's not like I saw US Muscle everywhere and 'just had to have one!', I love these cars because they are cool, they go hard, they are still pretty comfortable and safe. Sure, I love them a little more too because my dad had old mopars and the seed was sown in me years ago and it's like a connection to my dad now that he's gone, so why won't my kids look at them the same way?
Young people still get drawn to these cars, just stand back and observe what happens at a car show. One day they are going to grow up and remember that Charger their dad/grandfather had and think to themselves "wouldn't it be cool to have one like dad did...."
Owning one of these cars today or in 50 years will still make you the coolest kid on the street!
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!