News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green69rt's paint work

Started by green69rt, August 18, 2014, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

Put the car on rollers Mitch , don't disassemble, once doors and panels are fitted
Push car over so you can get door wide open to clear,
Didn't the factory do it this way, body's assembled
Once you have one side cleared , body's on rollers ,
So you can push it over so you can get car over far enough to do other

Patronus

Our latest version was to paint the shell and doors together with the deck lid and fenders off - but at the same time. We sprayed the jambs and then just closed the doors. (no strikers)
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

green69rt

Thanks guys, I'm listening. Not at that point, and I really don't want to paint this thing myself, but I'm running out of options.

green69rt

I have been working on the old lady in spite of the cold.  Occasional days in the 70's lets me get some painting done.

Got the doors cleaned up and after I primed them I could see all the little dings and waves in the metal.  Spent some time banging stuff aroung and them a skim of filler, sand and another coat of primer and they're ready to go as far as I'm concerned.  Even had some dings in the bottom inside of the doors, wonder how that happened  :shruggy:

Pic #1 is the bottom inside all nice and ready to paint.  This part will be painted black because the inside upholstery is black.
Pic #2 is the outside of one door, ready to go.  Maybe a tiny bit more work on the body lines to sharpen them up.
Pic #3 is the trunk hinges, cleaned and primed.  Since I had the gun loaded, it was a good time to shoot some misc items.
Pic #4 and the inside of the fenders at the nose.  This area might show around the grill and other folks warned me about it.  Fille the inside and sanded it down and filled the remaining with some seam sealer.

green69rt

Got some 70 degree days in Houston so took advantage and shot some paint.  I've been following several thread and asking for info and advice on the SS vs BC/CC issue.  I've been shooting SS and I have to say that I like the way it looks.  I remember my old car and I thought it looked fine.   Even so, I'm still trying to find someone to do the BC/CC on the outside of the car.  I did shoot the engine bay and jambs with SS and I like the way it turned out.  So here's what it looks like.

Pic #1  Engine bay and the underside of the trunk lid.  Engine bay looks just fine to me, I had to sand and redo the underside of the trunk (finally figured out my orange peel problem with the gun.)
Pic #2  Then I masked and painted around the inside of the doors, remasked and painted the rest with gloss black from rattle can.
Pic #3  Another shot of engine bay.
Pic #4  Trunk lip, I might sand and repaint this because of some dirt and orange peel problems.

green69rt

Last set of pics for now.

Pic #1  Pass door jamb (I'll will definitely have to sand and repaint this  (this is where I finally got my gun set up correctly.)
Pic #2  I also dug out a whole bunch of parts that needed primer/paint/undercoating. 

cdr

:o      LOOKIN GREAT!!! good job.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

keepat

Dino

Very nice!  You're getting closer!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

Patronus

Betcha that feels good!!
Let's be honest though, it took a LOT of work to get to that point. The last thing you want is to re-do...
Practice. Ya gotta set up the gun. On anything, cardboard, plastic, anything. Get it into a nice even line. (harder said than done)
4" to 6" away staying square to the panel. Practice your pattern first. How are you going to spray? Get your wrist moving, use it like a paint brush. Sure even strokes. A light coat to start, let it flash. Then game on.
It's hard work. Very hard.
If your not sweating then your a pro and in the wrong line of work..
Pretty cool to see that color going back on. Love it!  :2thumbs:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

green69rt

Quote from: Patronus on February 10, 2016, 08:16:07 PM
Betcha that feels good!!
Let's be honest though, it took a LOT of work to get to that point. The last thing you want is to re-do...
Practice. Ya gotta set up the gun. On anything, cardboard, plastic, anything. Get it into a nice even line. (harder said than done)
4" to 6" away staying square to the panel. Practice your pattern first. How are you going to spray? Get your wrist moving, use it like a paint brush. Sure even strokes. A light coat to start, let it flash. Then game on.
It's hard work. Very hard.
If your not sweating then your a pro and in the wrong line of work..
Pretty cool to see that color going back on. Love it!  :2thumbs:

Seems like you just told me all the things I found out in the last few days.  I finally got some cardboard leaning against a tree in the back yard to set up the spray pattern.  It still takes some practice to get the coat down in even layers.  Too little and the paint doesn't flow out to a nice shiny finish, too much and you get runs and sags (and then cuss words!)  Yes, it was hard work, I was sweating inside the paint suit and is was only 70 deg out.  Felt like 95 by the time I finished and this was only a few small things.  Doing multiple coats on a whole car has to be brutal.  

Edit: Oh, one more thing that I had to learn.  I had thought that the paint had to go on in thicker coats to get the shine I wanted so I would spray till it was glossy and got a lot of runs and sags.  I didn't know anything about paint flowing out to a nice even coat.  First few times, I always applied the paint in too heavy of layers, now I know better.  Now if I just had a paint booth to keep the crap out of the paint.

ht4spd307

a wooden frame  some plastic a staple gun and you have yourself a spray booth

fy469rtse

Patronus

I was hoping I didnt come across as a dick. It's easy for someone to come give a lesson online..
... just trying to help is all.  :cheers:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

green69rt

:eyes:
Quote from: Patronus on February 11, 2016, 11:57:08 PM
I was hoping I didnt come across as a dick. It's easy for someone to come give a lesson online..
... just trying to help is all.  :cheers:

Not at all, I always assume good intent.  And I was not complaining, just remarking how your advice and my experience matched up so well.   :2thumbs:

green69rt

Got the fenders up on saw horses and added some undercoat to them then installed the headlight splash shields (Pic #1.)  Then added two more coats of undercoat, especially under the top of the fenders.  I hope that will add some protection from the tires throwing gravel around and dents showing on the surface of the fenders( Pic #2.)  Spent a little time to black out the front area of the fenders, I don't know if they will show thru the grill but easier to do now than later (Pic #3.)  While I had the black paint out, I also blacked out the radiator supports (Pic #4.)

Edit:  just remembered that I have to decide if I want to drill a hole for the antenna or try for a hidden antenna.... :scratchchin:

Dino

Nice work!  That's looking great!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cncguy

Time for You to paint the body.

ht4spd307

ever thought of painting the outside of the car in acrylic paint as its much more forgiving as you clear over base meaning you can always color coat it as may times as you want within reason and rub it back if you get runs etc then when your happy with it after you have finished rubbing you final coat you then clear coat it and even that can be rubbed to suit.the only problem with this paint is its not as durable as a 2 pak system but the finish is superior as polyurethane is always that polyurethane its never as flat it has an orange peel affect which i know others are going to say it can be rubbed flat .but that also has its draw back as it tends to milk up once polished. just my  :Twocents:

green69rt

Quote from: ht4spd307 on February 16, 2016, 06:32:13 PM
ever thought of painting the outside of the car in acrylic paint as its much more forgiving as you clear over base meaning you can always color coat it as may times as you want within reason and rub it back if you get runs etc then when your happy with it after you have finished rubbing you final coat you then clear coat it and even that can be rubbed to suit.the only problem with this paint is its not as durable as a 2 pak system but the finish is superior as polyurethane is always that polyurethane its never as flat it has an orange peel affect which i know others are going to say it can be rubbed flat .but that also has its draw back as it tends to milk up once polished. just my  :Twocents:

I'll try to phrase what I've learned on this forum.   The paint is semi-metallic.  So any sanding, etc will mess up the metal particle arrangement.  If I spray single stage, it will have to be close to perfect after the last coat so I can't sand defects out.  Given that and my low experience level (as in no experience with BC/CC) I don't want to shoot this car on my own.  I may be driven to this in the end but I'm not ready to give up on having a professional do it, not yet.

ht4spd307

a friend of mine just painted a silver on his car and even though its metallic it didn't affect the metallic by sanding between coats  as the metallic is mixed through the base color.the only problem he got was not loading the paint correctly which in turn ends up leaving a streaking affect but   letting it dry and re blocking the surface and another coat problem eliminated.maybe speak to a paint shop about this technique they may re ashore you better than i can

Patronus

When you paint it yourself, it is what it is. Its gonna have crap in it. I consider it like birth marks. Always going to have something. If you really want to keep it clean it takes two rows of box fans, 80gal worth of compressor, and some type of drying system. Even if its that paper toilet roll type.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE