News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General color

Started by ionracer24, August 15, 2014, 03:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ionracer24

I've asked this question on several different sites and now i'll ask the experts....Which general lee color is the lighter orange??.....I've had a few folks swear up and down in both directions so i give up..... :brickwall:
Real race cars have three pedals......

darkside

tv series cars  1970 corvette orange flame code 70  movie cars were a lighter  amc  big bad orange.

mopar0166

to be honest , being a GL owner for a while now I'D just go with your preference.  90% don't really care, I went with completion orange because it was what I thought looked the best etc when I was at that point.   They made so many cars and used so many combinations, no one color is 100% correct.   

I guess if you wanted the finer details then yes I do agree with above.   Im just giving my opinion, it wont be the only question you get so be ready.  :cheers:

Indygenerallee

1975 Corvette Flame Red is the lighter.. Hemi Orange is darker more red
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

1965gp

Agree- flame red is a little less red (if that makes sense). I just painted my GL 75 corvette flame red:

tan top

Quote from: 1965gp on August 15, 2014, 01:49:28 PM
Agree- flame red is a little less red (if that makes sense). I just painted my GL 75 corvette flame red:

:coolgleamA: :2thumbs:  looks good , would like to see more pictures sometime  :yesnod:

whats that a GTO   :scope: on the right  :coolgleamA:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mike DC

1.  Go to Home Depot.  Buy one of their reddish-orange 5 gallon buckets and bring it home.  That is almost a perfect match for 1975 Corvette Flame red.  

2.  Don't try to get smart and just look at the bucket in the store or look at other Home Depot orange logos - buy the bucket.  Most of the other "Home Depot orange" stuff isn't that same bucket shade.  And the artificial light in the store can misleading too.  You could spend $30 spraying a quart of the actual Flame Red paint on a panel, and you still might not end up with a better sample of CFR than those buckets usually are.  This sample costs an entire $2, it takes no labor or cleanup to spray it, and you also get a 5 gallon bucket out of the deal.

3.  Don't mistrust this bucket suggestion just because you can't believe a color called "red" could look so orange-ish.  The name of the color, at least in 1974-76, really is that far away from what it looks like.  (GM could actually look into the future in the 1970s.  They named the color just to confuse General Lee fans 40 years later to punish us for building Chargers instead of Camaros.  It's the only possible explanation.)

Indygenerallee

exactly Corvette flame "red" should be called flame "orange"!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

"Corvette Orange Flame" actually is an alternate name for the mid-70s color. 

Too bad that wasn't the primary name.  It would have saved boatloads of confusion over the years.

1965gp

Never thought about the bucket but you are probably right.

Thanks for the comments tan top- I started a thread on the car but haven't updated it.

The silver car is actually a 1970 LeMans. My dad bought it right before I was born and I drove it in high school. Restored it a few years ago. I do have a 70 GTO but you can't see it in those pics- its blue with pink and orange judge stripes.

ionracer24

Quote from: mopar0166 on August 15, 2014, 12:21:15 PM
to be honest , being a GL owner for a while now I'D just go with your preference.  90% don't really care, I went with completion orange because it was what I thought looked the best etc when I was at that point.   They made so many cars and used so many combinations, no one color is 100% correct.   

I guess if you wanted the finer details then yes I do agree with above.   Im just giving my opinion, it wont be the only question you get so be ready.  :cheers:

Thanx for the input, i'm actually not making a general but i have an old dodge truck that i want to paint that color, dont worry the're wont be an 01 or flag on it lol

Brock Lee

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 15, 2014, 02:35:04 PM

"Corvette Orange Flame" actually is an alternate name for the mid-70s color.  

Too bad that wasn't the primary name.  It would have saved boatloads of confusion over the years.

Yeah, I learned that when these colors were being translated for modern technology, they would plug in alternate associated names. Today if you get certain colors scanned, it will even list other non-automotive users (like Fender guitars).

Also confusing isone color would have different names depending on the years and lines it was used. Mopar in the 60's made it a little easier to figure out using the Letter/Number code along with a paint name. Even now it is still simplified as my '05 Dodge Magnum and 2010 Chrysler 300 are the same color and both are called "Cool Vanilla" even though they are separated by years and brand names. When you get a paint chip scanned today, it usually lists all the associated names and numbers to that chip. Sometimes it can a very long list. A good example of that is a particular shade of red GM has used for about 30 years across all lines.

In regards to the orange versus red nomenclature, GM did it a few years before on GTO's. "Carousel Red" is really orange.

jb666

I strayed off the reservation and went with Hemi Orange... Always been my favorite, and I couldn't bring myself to use a GM color...

Then again, going off the reservation is what I do...

bill440rt

Yay, jb666 posted!  :cheers:
Good to hear from you! How have you been?  :popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ACUDANUT

Quote from: jb666 on August 25, 2014, 07:35:18 PM
I strayed off the reservation and went with Hemi Orange... Always been my favorite, and I couldn't bring myself to use a GM color...

Damn, that is nice.

ionracer24

Quote from: jb666 on August 25, 2014, 07:35:18 PM

I really enjoyed your whole saga jb, well until u went off the reservation as u say lol!  The blower was just too much, sorry, for all the trouble u went through for ur general, it was an AWESOME build and was darn near perfect till u got a lil carried away...Now if it had been like turbo'd out or something that wasnt visible, that woulda been cool, but to each his own i reckon...Hats off to u anyway for persevering when many would of rolled it off a cliff or into the ocean... :cheers:

ionracer24

This is the orange i want, is this the amc color?

JB400

Considering that the camera distorts the color, and the type of monitor you have for a computer/ phone, my guess is Flame orange.  It's too pale to be BBO.

Mike DC

Photographs distort colors so badly that you can't use them to judge colors.  Especially orange shades.  

Two different pics of the same car:  

ionracer24

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 26, 2014, 01:29:37 AM

Photographs distort colors so badly that you can't use them to judge colors.  Especially orange shades.  

Two different pics of the same car:  

Wow, interesting, i see ur point....

jb666

Quote from: bill440rt on August 25, 2014, 09:50:37 PM
Yay, jb666 posted!  :cheers:
Good to hear from you! How have you been?  :popcrn:

Hey bud... Doing good! Have only had the car out 3X this entire year (today being one of them).. not sure why, just had no real interest in cruising...  :slap:

Hopefully next season I pull my head out of the clouds.

Brock Lee

Hemi Orange is a very nice color for these cars. I had a buddy with a Lee painted that color. When we did car shows and my Flame Red was parked beside his, it made my color look lifeless.

Mike, it is interesting you posted that pic. You would not believe how much that car had faded by that time. By the end of its first year, just as the paint stopped stinking, the color difference in the jambs when you opened the doors was impossible to miss. The faded paint matched my Flame Red almost exactly. When I get that paint mixed for my car, I am going to find the most stable paint I can find. Last time I saw it there was hardly any red left.